• SPECIAL RING

STAR PLUS

SWANS WAY

THE NAMES JIMMY

WC JONES

WC JONES-COMMENTATOR
  • WILLIAMSTOWN

YOU AND I

Thats it guys/gals. youve seen every horse ive got pics of. obviously i didnt post 8000+ pics so if theres someone you wanna see more of, i can post mpre of him/her..if i have em.
    like my trivia thread, id be interested to hear feedback on who you liked most or least for whatever reason. i enjoyed the observations on bellamy road whos conformation issue i hadnt noticed so its fun for me as well..
  • Someday I will go to Kentucky, but until then, I so appreciate all the photos and you taking the time to post them. Is wonderful to see some of the stallions and mares you only read about. I love the old timers.
    Many thanks Kurt.
  • Thanks kurt, for giving us a peek of your KY journey. Loved seeing the pictures of these old friends looking so well taken care of and happy.
    Really glad to see Rapid Redux in his new home looking so happy. I saw him a few times at Mountaineer. He was a tough warrior and I always loved him.
  • Ditto here, Kurt. Excellent job AGAIN!!! Thanks just seem like enough. I sure hope you got what YOU wanted from the trip and sharing with us!
  • ty Kurt for sharing your wonderful stories and pictures, I sure enjoy see all the pictures of the stallions and the old timers at Old Friends....
  • thanks to everyone for the kind words. i enjoy sharing photos. i know alot or people dont share there photos out of fear of them being sold or whatever. some will put watermarks on them etc. for me, i dont make my living with a camera so i dont feel the need to protect my images. in fact, just the opposite, if someone wants to click n copy and later print them, so be it. ive been lucky enough to make these trips and attend the breeders cup where as alot of people cant so if i can give them the next best thing,so be it.
    JOANNA- as for what i got out of it this year is this, the physical item was the monarchos halter which is a prize for me that i waited a year to try and get. ive only got three stallion halters and all three i had the privilege of taking straight off the horses head..monarchos,turkoman and spectacular bid.
    what i got that wasnt physical was what i called on my facebook page.."redemption" i called this years trip my redemption tour because last years trip left me with some anger and resentment because of the person i took with me and how some things went down and basically feeling screwed. this year, i spent the time with people who wanted to be there, didnt have alterior motives and have the same genuine love for the horses that i do. this years trip gave me closure on last years debacle which is worth more then the halter.
  • Kurt...:))))) for you. The halters are so very special; I'm sure you'll display them proudly!
  • Kurt, add my name to the list of folks thanking you for the pictures. You did well.

I made it a part of my trip in 1996 to go through Kentucky, notably the bluegrass area. It was totally rain and fog, with visits out of the picture. I made it a rule that I was going to see the Kentucky Horse Park even if there was a monsoon!

I was priviliged to see the legendary John Henry. And Forego--remembering him him as the giant and Willie Shoemaker as the midget!

My favorite stallion is Tiznow. And I'm liking what I see in his son, Colonel John. Can you tell is anything regarding these studs? Thanks.
  • VA_in_CAVA_in_CA Member
    edited February 2014
    Is Ogygian missing an eye? It sure looks like an empty socket. Sad, if so. What happened?

There are some beautiful horses in Kentucky, that's for sure. Thanks for taking the pictures and posting them. Really appreciate seeing them all. Don't have any particular favorites, but am partial to chestnuts. You've included quite a few chestnut beauties here. Thanks again.
  • Is Ogygian missing an eye? It sure looks like an empty socket. Sad, if so. What happened?
    Yes, Ogygian is missing an eye. The OF staff doesn't know exactly what happened. Somewhere along the line the eye was injured, got infected, and was removed. It doesn't seem to bother him, though. He's in good health for a horse of his years.

That dark socket seems to appeal to photographers. A couple of years ago he was the cover boy on the OF calendar. Barbara Livingston took the pic, IIRC. It's Ogygian rearing against a dark, cloudy sky and was taken from his blind side. The shot all the more dramatic because there's no eye. It makes him look like a statue.

• I've said it before and I'll say it again - thank you so much for sharing your trip and all the wonderful photos with us!!! I've enjoyed your descriptions as well as the pictures and while I'm a tad jealous, of course, I'm very happy for you to have been able to enjoy such a cool trip. Those halters you have acquired - just Wow!!! How awesome is that?!! Thank you, Kurt!! Can't wait til your next trip!! :)
  • Wonderful photos. Can't help but think of how fortunate these horses are to have a home. There are so many racers out there, where do they all go at the end of their careers? There are two horses in my Virtual Stable that have fallen from stakes caliber to the low claiming ranks. What is going to happen to them? Both are fairly young, one is six the other four. The four year old was a distance third in a $12,500 claimer last week and ironically his former trainer (the one he won the Grade II race for), claimed a different horse out of that race.
  • Wonderful photos. Can't help but think of how fortunate these horses are to have a home. There are so many racers out there, where do they all go at the end of their careers? There are two horses in my Virtual Stable that have fallen from stakes caliber to the low claiming ranks. What is going to happen to them? Both are fairly young, one is six the other four. The four year old was a distance third in a $12,500 claimer last week and ironically his former trainer (the one he won the Grade II race for), claimed a different horse out of that race.
    I know how you feel Especially. I spend a great deal of time dreaming about one day creating a TB retirement farm like Old Friends. I have even kicked around a few names for it, went on real estate web sites and looked at horse farms for sale. I've tried to think of ways to help it pay for itself and even how to get volunteers. Now I just need to win the lottery and that rescue/retirement farm will be a reality!
  • Thank you so much for sharing all of these photos. I loved the story about Monarchos and his groom, so sweet.