My Kentucky trip-2014

Comments

• SUNDAY cont..
    we arrived at Crestwood a little afternoon and loved how they handled there open house. they have 9 stallions there and with bigger fish on our itinerary, we werent sure we would get to see all of crestwoods 9 horse..but we did. basically, Crestwood ran an assembly line. they would bring out one stallion, walk him, stand him, walk him again and as he was headed in the barn, the next one was coming out. we were able to see all 9 in about 45 minutes..more horses in less time then we expected so that was sweet.
    none of the crestwood horses are high dollar,in fact there priciest price listedwas the first one was saw at $7500..BULLET TRAIN.
    Bullet train is half(maybe 3/4,id have to check) brother to the legendary FRANKEL. hes a bay stallion with 2 white feet and a strip on the nose. BT looked good and was dappled. one thing you notice about crestwood,especially after being at 3 chimneys is the crestwood horses are heavy.
    second horse was COUNTRY DAy, color wise, he looks like bullet train with only one white sock and some white on his face..also a little heavy
    stallion #3 was a horse i hadnt heard of CHANNELED. hes a chestnut stallion with a white left rear and a strip on the head, actually a nice looking stallion
    stallion four was GET STORMY. the best looking guy in the group. he looks like a small clydesdale in that hes got four white feet and a blaze. stormy is a beautifull stallion whos grand sire kiris clown is at old friends
    stallion 5 was there new guy GENERAL QUARTERS. the young gray stallion was,honestly, way over weight. i saw mares that were thinner then GQ and atleast the girls have an excuse.. GQ was dissapointing as we were anxious to see him
    number 6 was TASTE OF PARADISE. a son of conquistador cielo, i know nothing about him except he has the typical mr. p body type. his only marking is a very thin strip on his face.
    number 7 was another one i know nothing about MUTADDA. the bay stallion has three very short white socks and a small star n his nose.
    number 8 was NOBIZLIKESHOWBIZ. nobiz also has three white socks,although higher then Mutadda. he has a small star on his face and is probably the best known of there stallions
    final crestwood stallion was TIZDEJAVU. the typical TIZNOW horse, very tall horse, TIZ has one white sock and a small star on his face also.

not a ton of info on crestwood as there not one of the better known farms. im not real familiar with most of there horses but we were there so, figured id write about it...next stop..and will take time to write about was SPENDTHRIFT..where we saw 13 of the 15 stallions...which was awesome..weather was still holding out for us,was cold but dry..spendthrift was a big surprise as we didnt really expect to see that many of there horses, only two we didnt see were into mischief and notional..everyone else, we saw..report coming....
  • LAURA- we drove thru it, not sure we'll see any of the sale. weve got alot done but still have alot we want to see and not sure we will make all of them as the cold on Monday and again today(tues) is slowing us down
  • That's too bad about the Crestwood stallions being porky. I love GQ--he has the best backstory.

Have a good time today, bundle up, and stay warm.
  • Yes, GQ does have an interesting backstory. If I remember correctly, Mr. McCarthy, his owner/trainer, only had the one race horse and thought the world of him. I really hope to see GQ this Spring.
  • I think the only thing McCarthy didn't do was ride him. IIRC, McCarthy is a retired high school principal--"just folks," not some super-wealthy owner.
  • RachelRachel Member
    edited January 2014
    another hit for Old Friends a few days apart, Sunshine Forever is now dead at age 29 :( i dont think theyve had 2 horses die within days of eachother

http://www.drf.com/news/sunshine-forever-champion-turf-horse-dies-old-friends
  • It has to be hard to lose 2 of the oldsters so close together in time, but when dealing with the geriatric set, I guess you have to be mentally and emotionally prepared for this to happen. Doesn't make it any easier tho. Condolences to all at OF.
  • i wonder if Kurt got to see him, since he died today
  • Just leaving taylor made..heard about sunshine..my friend laura who volunters there says we have the last pics of him since we saw.him sunday..they had no tours monday cuz.of the cold...i will prioritize those and try and get them posted tonight..what im remembering is there was an older guy there with a young boy..bout 9..who only wanted to see sunshine..glad he got to see him
  • Wow thats sad, and glad you were able to make it in time
  • another hit for Old Friends a few days apart, Sunshine Forever is now dead at age 29 :( i dont think theyve had 2 horses die within days of eachother

http://www.drf.com/news/sunshine-forever-champion-turf-horse-dies-old-friends
    Polish Navy and Jade Hunter died pretty close together IIRC, although not this close. Very rough week for OF.
  • ok guys, i know i haven't gotten the blog updated..and definitely didn't plan on doin pics for a few days but heres a few of the pics of Sunny from Sunday. almost guaranteed these are the last shots of him taken. we know there was no one else on the farm but us and they had no tours go out on Monday so, this is it. the probably last pic ever is the one of the little kid with the bucket. we didnt know them, but we heard the kid talkin about how the only horse he wanted to see was Sunshine forever. he wouldn't feed any of the horses by hand, but for sunny,he was willing to hold the bucket...kinda wish i had gotten there names, they weren't taking pics and im sure they'd e love to have the photos. anyway, heres SUNSHINE FOREVER..rest in piece Sunny
    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

• on an unrelated note, the trip has been super busy..thats why the blog has been slow. but i have to say..and sorry to tease..ANIMAL KINGDOM is freaking stunning!!!!
  • Ohh Kurt...you should keep these photos in a special file! I hope the young boy gets to see your forum posting so you can also get their names.

Not to force the issues, but perhaps you could make some money with the equine journals for the last photos taken of Sunshine Forever. These are soo valuable and irreplaceable indeed!
  • Aww, he looked good for 29. Even enjoyed a nice roll in the mud. Its crazy how u dont know when the last time you'll see something is. RIP boy
  • Wow. Thanks so much for sharing these photos here - they are wonderful. I'm sure lots of folks are going to have suggestions for these, but my thoughts would be to send them to Michael Blowen since he loved the horse so.

On another note, looking forward to hearing more about your trip and seeing more pics!
  • Wonderful pics, Kurt. It's hard to say goodbye to old friends. He lived a long life, and his last years were happy. RIP Sunshine Forever. RIP Patton.
  • been goin pretty much non stop since saturday morning..to hard to even write about it..kinda leaning towards tellin you where we were on which days and who we saw..then answer any questions..that way i can get pics posted faster..thoughts on this?
    quick note- animal kingdom is MORE then worth the hype in person and Monarchos is the coolest horse ever born!!..his groom is coolest guy ever and the highlight of the trip and something ive been wanting to say for about for a year..I GOT HIS HALTER!!!!
  • Thats quite the memorabilia o.o
  • Wow how much fun you are having. Sounds like a great trip. Keep the photos coming.
  • hey guys, thursday morningm 715 am. i have one more day of farm hoping..today, then headed to tennesse for a couple days with my sister. i decided im gonna do a list of which farms i visited, on which day and what horses i saw and maybe a short note about some of them. last years trip,i wrote more about it but this year, we've been so busy, havent had a chance to do it, and im not sure id ever get it all written down and im thinking you all are more interested in the pictures. so,with that in mind, heres the four horses we saw on saturday....
    first farm was CASTLETON LYONS on saturday morning.

GIO PONTI

JUSTIN PHILLIP

second farm at 1pm on saturday was PIN OAK STUD were we saw two horses;

ALTERNATION

SKY CLASSIC

• Wow! All gorgeous stallions! I particularly love Gio Ponti and Alternation's look of confidence...."I'm the MAN!"
  • Justin Phillip and Alternation seem to look more athletic, but weren't these two more recently 'retired' from racing? All beautiful. Thanks for the pix Kurt!
  • Monarchos's halter?!! Wow!! How cool is that!!! Thank you for sharing the memories of your trip and all the photos. Of course, I am insanely jealous but really, I am hoping for your getting to go there and meet these horses and see these wonderful places. That is definitely my kind of trip!! Thanks so much for sharing!! Keep having the fun but don't get frost bite.
  • Yup Justin Phillip was retired not too long ago and Alternation was retired earlier in 2013