My Kentucky trip-2014

Comments

• TASTE OF PARADISE

TIZDEJAVU

Thats all nine from crestwood
  • I see what you mean about General Quarters, and I also think Get Stormy is carrying too much weight. He's a favorite of mine--I loved his determined running style. But he's definitely starting to resemble a Clydesdale in more than just color, which is not so good.

Did the horses have any problems walking past each other, being all stallions?
  • heres a couple pics from early saturday that are spots alot of people probably dont know about. the grave is that of DOMINO and it sits next to the road seemingly out of place. the fact its still there speaks to the importance of this great horse in his day.
    pics 3-5 are of Man o war farm with the barn photo being of the actual barn that he lived most of his life in
    the last 3 are of the man o war memorial outside the kentucky horse park from different angles

DOMINO GRAVE

MAN O WAR FARM AND BARN

MAN O WAR MEMORIAL-KHP
  • JEN- we didnt see any issue with the horses walking past each other. i remember thinking the same thing but we were told that when there on the lead ropes, they dont seem to get that competitive blood going with each other...course, werent any mares near by to compete over
  • the inscription on DOMINOS marker reads "here lies the fleetest runner the american turf has ever known and one of the gamest and most generous of horses"
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    Ice Box is a tank...
    Get Stormy always looked awesome on the track
  • VA_in_CAVA_in_CA Member
    edited January 2014
    I've seen Nobiz Like Shobiz in a pedigree recently, but can't remember whose.
    The thing I notice about all the horses at Crestwood Farm is that they all look sad. It's especially so with Country Day. In his close up, he looks desperately unhappy. Check out his eyes. Did there seem to be a negative vibe at that farm?
  • VA_in_CA- they just didnt seem to be as professional as some of the other farms."they" being the handlers. like i said, they dont present well, the horses arent stood in the most flattering positions. i also recall one of them being fairly aggressive with the horse he was handling and the more i look, the more it seems like all the horses are overweight..would be interested to hear other people thoughts on the weight issue
  • This is rather concerning. I'm not impressed with the appearance of the handlers. It doesn't look like there is any love lost between them and their charges. Sometimes overweight comes from eating poor quality food. Bullet Train also has sad eyes. Very disconcerting.
  • War Admiral is burried in the Man O War grave as well
  • DoreenDoreen Member
    edited January 2014
    Get Stormy (Clyde) to me has always been on the stocky side, just like his nickname infers. I think Nobiz Like Shobiz looks like his weight is fine. Keeping the correct weight on a stallion can be a challenge and a balancing act. During the breeding season, their focus is on the mares and not on their feed. They need to maintain their energy level and weight during the breeding season, however, once the breeding season is over, they can put on weight. It also depends on the horse. If the farm doesn't lunge or ride their horses for exercise, and lets them out into their paddock for exercise, like people, some horses are more active, while others are more sedentary. The farm needs to ensure the stallion is eating a balance diet, grazing in pastures during the spring and the fall can cause pasture-associated laminitis. Being overweight can predispose stallions to laminitis, soundness problems, and fatal aortic rupture. Maintaining a carefully balanced diet and monitoring a stallion's weight is instrumental to having a successful breeding program.

Note: From what breeding books that I have read, farm management of pastures ensure that soil, grass, irrigation, etc., helps in the prevention of lush-pasture which can cause laminitis.
  • RACH- as is war relic..i got to see the fair play and mahuba grave/monuments this year too for the first time so ive got all the man o war family bruals covered
  • These pictures are wonderful!! Thank you so much for sharing.
  • I always thought "Clyde" just had to do with the fact that his markings look like a Clydesdale. He was stocky, but never looked so hefty to me when he was racing. It used to be really common for stallions to put on weight, but with all the health risks, most people are more careful about that now. On the other hand, even healthy-weight stallions often look bulkier than they did as colts. It's hard to know for certain with still pictures. I also can't tell much about their mood without seeing them in motion. They don't seem sad to me. They seem to be taking an interest in their surroundings. Maybe they were worried about the storm front that was coming, and that's what you're picking up on, VA in CA.

They are wonderful pictures.
  • General Quarters is way way to fat. He reminds me of a foundered pony. That is really sad.
  • Thanks for pix and comments, Kurt. Fabulous job on these!
  • I just looked at Get Stormy's picture in the Bloodhorse Stallion Register. http://www.bloodhorse.com/stallion-register/stallions/165973/get-stormy
    Compare the two and he really looks overweight now. The same is true of General Quarters. Maybe the weather has kept them indoors too much? I hope the farm will look into this and work on their weight and fitness. I want these guys around for a while!
  • glad you guys are enjoying them. sorry i didnt post anything this morning before i go to bed but im going to post the SPENDTHRIFT pics next and theres about 80 of them. took awhile to pick which ones i want to post since we saw 14 of the 16 horses on there roster and got a bonus with THE LUMBER GUY so we saw 15 horses at spendthrift..gonna try n get 8 hours sleep today for the first time since i got home, then will get spendthrift posted this afternoon..
  • Can anyone tell me for sure if Zenyatta will have a year off from breeding this year?
    I would love to be able to go see her if that would become a possibility for her fans.
  • I thought i saw somewhere that she would. To get her foaling date back to an earlier time. This will be her second foal that was born mid spring. Coz eas born in early march, i think they wanna go back to that.
  • I always thought "Clyde" just had to do with the fact that his markings look like a Clydesdale. He was stocky, but never looked so hefty to me when he was racing. It used to be really common for stallions to put on weight, but with all the health risks, most people are more careful about that now. On the other hand, even healthy-weight stallions often look bulkier than they did as colts. It's hard to know for certain with still pictures. I also can't tell much about their mood without seeing them in motion. They don't seem sad to me. They seem to be taking an interest in their surroundings. Maybe they were worried about the storm front that was coming, and that's what you're picking up on, VA in CA.

They are wonderful pictures.
    You are correct he is called Clyde because of his markings too. If you look at his sire line, his grand sire Storm Cat was known to throw "big horses." I agree with you about the storm front, animals are so in tune with their environment, they can teach us humans a thing or two.
  • kurtkurt Member
    edited January 2014
    hey guys, gonna post the spendthrift pics now. spendthrift was an awesome stop for us. as i mentioned earlier, daria was semi stallion shopping and wanted to see the 4 dynaformer sons available so we went to spendthrift figuring we would only see TEMPLE CITY and maybe a couple others...we are always up front with the farms that were there primarily as fans and not breeders and dont want to disrupt activities by asking to see the horses that arent already being shown to others.
    when we arrived at spendthrift around 1230 pm, we were still thinking the rain/snow was imminent as the temps were dropping and the wind was starting to blow harder so we were fairly content to just see TC. also, when we arrived, we were the only ones there which reenforced our belief that TC would be our only horse.
    well, as luck would have it, just as temple city was done being shown to us, several other cars showed up with several people in each. we decided to hang around and see who we might be able to see. after 90 minutes, we had seen all but two of there stallion,(into mischief and notorious) who i did see in there stalls though as well as THE LUMBER GUY who was recently retired to stand stud in New york. TLG was simply using spendthrift as a stop over during the storm before heading to his new home. as luck would have it, several people asked to see him, so when all was said and done, we saw 14 horses at spendthrift.
    some observations from spendthrift: they show there horses well, there brought out, stood, walked and stood again. the guys handling them, unlike crestwood, are much in tune with the horses and present them well.
    as far as there stallion go, fairly certain JIMMY CREED was the smallest horse we saw all week..beautifull but small. Malibu moon has the biggest neck we saw all week and is the epitome of power,heavily muscled stallion..was thrilled to see him. he acted up and reared as he was being walked. you don't realize how big these horses are until you see them vertical. we ALMOST got a shot of him in the air. as you'll see, his head is missing,lol..we weren't ready for the shot but i figured i;d post it anyway.
    a horse that,at first didnt do alot for me but grew on me was LINE OF DAVID. a chestnut with no markings,he can slip by if you arent watching but the more you see him, the more gorgeous he becomes
    someone asked about LANDALUCE. she was NOT there yet and the farm said that while they do expect here remains eventually, they have no timetable as to a date and,unfortunately for fans, will probably be buried in a section of the farm that fans wont see so, dunno if we'll ever get to see it.
    anyway, Spendthrift was a GREAT stop.lots of stallions, great people, great horses..enjoy!!
    btw. the photos are NOT in the order we saw the horses as temple city was first and malibu moon was last in the order we saw then...

ARCHARCHARCH

AWESOME PATRIOT

DOMINUS
  • FLAT OUT

JIMMY CREED

LIASON
  • LINE OF DAVID

MALIBU MOON
  • at the center of the stallion complex, NASHUA still over sees all activity

NASHUA

PADDY O PRADO

TEMPLE CITY