• THE LUMBER GUY

TIZ WONDERFUL
  • WARRIORS REWARD

WILBURN

that concludes spendthrift
  • This is so awesome to see all the horses up close. Thank you again, Kurt
  • kurtkurt Member
    edited January 2014
    after we finished Spendthrift, the open houses were pretty much done for the day. since we still had no rain/snow, but knew it along with the record cold was coming, we decided to maximize our time by heading downtown to another spot alot of people arent familiar with THOROUGHBRED PARK. its close to rupp arena and features several life size statues featuring scenes of an actual race as well as mares and foals grazing on a hill.
    the second spot we wanted to hit before dark was the relocated HAMBURG place cemetery. this is the final resting place of, among others BEL SHEBA, the dam of alysheba as well as several prominent stallion and racers from the early 20th century. both places are open 24/7 and i recommend both for anyone seeing the horse sites in lexington

THOROUGHBRED PARK

HAMBURG CEMETERY
  • Kurt, I really liked your photos from Spendthrift. I've always wanted to visit the stallions there (Paddy O'Prado in particular) but Spendthrift doesn't allow the general public/fans to visit unless they're having an Open House. I'm only able to visit KY in April or October so that means I'm out of luck.
  • Thank you Kurt for posting your beautiful photos. My Mom was born and raised in KY, she gave me my love for horses and racing. I haven't been back since she died nearly 30 years ago and I sure do miss it. Your pictures help. : )
    I have a soft spot for the greys. The Lumber Guy, General Quarters........
  • Love the racing statues. It's amazing how some of them are balanced on one horse leg. I wonder if late at night the statues some alive and talk to each other and fret about being stuck in those positions for eternity. "Everyone knows that I should be in first place." "You?? In first place?" etc.
  • Just wonderful. Kurt, you are a treasure! Thanks so very much for the pictures and very descriptive report; makes me want to make a trip to KY!
  • edited January 2014
    Archarcharch--dark bay, my foot. That horse is black.

Love Tiz Wonderful's coloring.
  • Great pictures!! Thanks so much for sharing. I love the statues at Thoroughbred Park, they are just too cool for words!! My dream is to go to Kentucky and visit some of the farms and see the stallions in person, but for now seeing them in your pictures is enough.
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    Archarcharch--dark bay, my foot. That horse is black.

well sunday silence is still listed as bay or dk brown too...and if ever there was a black...oh well...
  • Archarcharch--dark bay, my foot. That horse is black.

well sunday silence is still listed as bay or dk brown too...and if ever there was a black...oh well...
    True, dat.
  • Kurt: you mentioned you had a facebook. I would love to add you!
  • AGOYETTE- sent you a private message..i think with my fb info,lemme know if it didnt go thru...more pics coming in the next 10 minutes..the horse i forgot from spendthrift,serena,claiborne,adena and count fleet graves...
  • hey guys/gals, heres some more stuff for you, first horse is a leftover from spendthrift that i missed yesterday. TIZWAY

TIZWAY
    imageimage
  • starting the morning out,it had snowed the night before and the temps were below zero so we were concerned about the day being lost due to the ice. we called all the places we had scheduled and all said to come on out, so first stop of the day was at Denali stud to visit the peppermint queen SERENAS SONG.
    serena is in foal to Medaglia d'oro and is due in late february. Serena is quite a character and is worth a ky visit by herself. shes the only horse ive ever tried to visit where the rquirement is "bring peppermints"
    serena has an interesting personality. shes NOT the nicest mare..unless your feeding her. if i posted all the pics of her,youde see that if your feeding her mints, her ears are up and shes happy, as soon as your not feeding her and want to try and touch her, the ears get pinned back and she lets you know that loving on her isnt what shes there for.."feed me" is her motto. that being said, here she is

SERENAS SONG
  • after leaving serena, we headed out to claiborne farm, by this time, it was now -15 degrees. we were the only tour of the day that didnt cancell due to the cold. we were bundled up but it was still unbelievably cold. our exposed faces were hurting within minutes. i ended up pulling my beanie over my face and walking blind..it was that cold.
    the first pic is of the main gate and one of the barns,followed by the stallion..enjoy!

CLAIBORNE FARM

the stallion were turned out, but with the cold, the groom wasnt going in the paddocks to get them like last year so the photos arent as cool as last year, that being said, we did see several

ARCH

SEEKING THE GOLD
  • ORB

STROLL

WAR FRONT
  • BLAME

CLAIBORNE CEMETERY-the legends
  • after we left claiborne, we headed towards adena springs but on the way, we stopped at the old stoner creek farm which has since been renamed and is now home for standardbreds. the farm is where triple crown winner Count fleet lived,died and was eventually buried, along with his sire Reigh count..

COUNT FLEET GRAVE

REIGH COUNT GRAVE

• ADENA SPRINGS had an open house scheduled for sunday night but cancelled it due to the storm coming in. the fear was that with the snow and ice and the darkness, that people might get stuck there,or leaving might be dangerous so they cancelled the open house.
    fortunitly, daria had been in contact with the stallion manager anyway because, along with the 4 dynaformer stallion she was looking at, she was especially interested in EINSTEIN so we were able to secure a private visit to see einstein, point of entry and as a bonus, we got to see ft larned as fans
    Einstein is another horse that might as well be called black. hes gorgeous. i remember liking him alot from last year and this year he had filled out even more. hes a beautifull horse.
    Point of entry is bad ass! by far the best of the 4 dynaformers..and the priciest. hes 17 hands, easy but doesnt have the dynaformer attitude,,yet we were really impressed with him.
    Ft larned was cool just because we didnt expect to see him. he doesnt have a pretty head, hes definitly got bayakoas parrot mouth but it was cool to see the breeders cup classic winner
    like three cimneys and winstar, Adena shows there horses inside which is not a strong suit of me so pics arent that great..other then one head shot of POE

ADENA SPRINGS office and stallion barn

EINSTEIN

POINT OF ENTRY

FT LARNED
  • after we visited Claiborne, we slipped out to OUR MIMS and hung out with Jeanne Mirabito. as stated earlier, it was -15 so the horses were all inside the barn which was just as cold as it was outside. the OM visit was the only stop all week that we nearly aborted half way thru because it was soooo cold,even in the barn. all the ladies..and breeders cup champion ELMHURST were in there stalls so the pics are all head shots and again my indoor skills..or lack of.. are to blame for not so great pics but heres the ladies and Elmo from OUR MIMS

ARC BAR MISS

BELS STARLET

BLUE VIKING

DOGWOOD PATTY

ELMHURST

MISSY WHITE OAK

MS ROYAL FLAGSHIP

PRINCESS ROYALE

TABA DANCE

TRAIL GUIDE

• Great pics kurt, Orb has filled out nicely, he looks gorgeous. Definitely can tell hes by Malibu Moon
  • Thank You for the wonderful pictures. Gotta say it, I love Blame's looks. Einstein too.
  • Love the pictures!! Your indoor photography skills are not so bad (much better than mine lol!). In the picture of Swale and Pulpits graves there is a third head stone but I couldn't make out what it said, do you know who it is by chance?