My Kentucky trip-2014

Comments

• Was surprised to see Blame has such a nice head.
  • The third headstone in the row your talking about is ROUND TABLE
  • kurtkurt Member
    edited January 2014
    Speaking of that front cemetery. I think we all assumed it was full but our groom said that since pulpit was the first to be cremated,they realized they can get 3 more in there. I know they said the three are going to be seeking the gold,arch and Lure..then its definitly full and the rest will go up to marchmont
  • Love seeing fuzzy muddy horses out in the fields, expensive ones and famous ones. They get to be horses during the day, not just sitting in stalls.
  • Thanks Kurt!
  • kurtkurt Member
    edited January 2014
    hey guys, wanted to get a few posted just to keep the interest going do i'll go with calumet farm which was our first stop of the day. it was,again, about -15 but the horses,again, were outside although they had blankets on. the ground was covered in snow which made for pretty scenery and, as you'll see, really enhanced the color of POINT GIVEN who is in my top 5 living race horses. we only asked to see two, point given and AMERICAIN because hes the 4th dynaformer we wanted to see. we did see AIKENITE just because he was at his gate as we were finishing with americain. point was first, followed by a walk to americains paddock. after freezing out backsides off, i asked if we could see the cemetery as neither laura or daria had ever seen it. the stallion mgr, Darrel, had us follow him to the back of the farm, where its located and basically turned us loose. he pointed out the back exit to us and told us we could stay as long as we wanted( im thinking he knew that at -15 it wouldn't be long,lol)
    last year i mapped claibornes Marchmont cemetery and wanted to do calumet this year..which would take more times as its bigger with more burials. i made a rough schematic of the layout, counted the headstones by section, noted them, and started taking pics in an order that i hoped would be easy for me to follow later. the ladys were back in the heated car fairly quickly but i stayed outside for about 20 minutes, long enough to get what i wanted in pics and notes...which was fun since the ink in my pen kept freezing. i had to keep it in my mouth when not using so it looked like i was walking around with a thermometer in my mouth.
    when all was said and done, i was able to map the calumet cemetery..all 63 graves. im going to post a couple for you guy but if theirs any in particular someone wants to see, lemme know and i will gladly post it..enjoy calumet..

AIKENITE

AMERICAIN
  • POINT GIVEN

CALUMET BARNS-the historic devils red and blue colors

CALUMET CEMETERY
  • Kurt - I am loving all the pictures and information from your trip - Kentucky is definitely on my list of places I would like to visit one day (about an 8 hour drive from where I am in NY so its do-able! :) You have given some good places to keep in mind when the time comes! I have a strange question - since you have posted photos of the farms cemeteries - are the horses cremated and buried or buried as they were? Maybe it depends on the farm?
  • PLAIN_ it definitely vary s depending on the farm and WHEN. at claiborne, prior to 1984, they buried the head,heart and hooves of there horse only, i was told, way back in 1981 that this was because the ground is solid rock and a grave is extremely difficult to dig..that was in 1981. since 1984, claiborne has buried the entire horse(not sure how or why that changed as the ground would still be the same) with the exception of PULPIT who was cremated. he was cremated because of the suddeness of his death, they asked for an autopsy to reveal his cause of death. when they asked for the body to be returned, they were told the only way it would be released was if it was cremated..not sure if thats a new law or if it was claibornes first autopsy..dunno. either way, they agreed and pulpit was cremated and returned to claiborne. hes the only one in the main cemetery that is cremated the rest are either parts or entire..secretariat was buried whole. Claiborne plans to bury three more stallions, cremated, in there main cemetery..Lure,Seeking the gold and Arch. the rest will go up the street to marchmont where all the horse are buried whole.
    three chimneys has buried there stallion whole as well.
    as for calumet,other then Alydar,who is buried whole, im not sure how theres were done as most of them are really old, but just a guess, based on them being farily close together, id speculated there in parts as well but thats stricly an uneducated guess.
    Old friends has all there horses cremated that are in there cemetery except PRECISIONIST who was buried whole. he was euthenized next to where he was buried which im guessin made it easier to bury.
    so i guess the short answer would have been that each farm is different but thought you might enjoy the story
  • Thanks for sharing your amazing photos of your freezing visits! How brave you are!! It is wonderful you had the chance to visit the farms and see all the stallions and I am most grateful for your generosity in posting your pictures. Thank you!!
  • Was surprised to see Blame has such a nice head.
    Plz don't use the B word in here, haha, yes he has a really looong head. Kidding aside, Blame has a nice pedigree, a mirror image of Zenyatta with the Roberto, Kris S line on the top side. Really like that bloodline, large horses with a long smooth stride and great stamina from Princequillo through Sharp Queen.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/blame5

http://www.pedigreequery.com/zenyatta
  • Kurt - I did enjoy the story, thanks for sharing it! I had heard of the head, heart, and hooves thing but wasn't sure how old of a practice that was. And I have read that although a lot was made of the size of Secretariats heart when he was examined after his death, it was never actually weighed. Penny Tweedy refused to have it separated from him.
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    Sham's heart was weighed ....18 lbs....Phar Lap's was 14...Eclipse also 14... doing this from memory ...hope my mind is in sync.
    The vet who necropcied Sham also did Sec....he estimated Sec's heart weighed about 22 lbs...
    I think this is right...
  • darley pics coming in the morning, animal kingdom,bernardini,medaglia d oro,street cry,street sense,lonhro,denman,street boss,midshipman, holy hull and quiet american..
  • edited January 2014
    Kurt, Swale was buried whole after having an autopsy done. Maybe it was because his autopsy was done in New York and they probably embalmed him to ship him home, I don't know or could be Kentucky laws could be different when it comes to autopsies. Just a little FYI, one of those curious factoids. I love Swale! BTW, you're right on about the sizes of Big Red's heart and Sham's, the vets say theirs are two of the biggest and strongest hearts they had ever seen. I think Slew's heart was also around 18lbs, too. This is when they started to really look at the connection between the size of hearts and the dams, it is believed that the dam passes on the big heart genes to her sons and son to daughters. That's one reason that breeders are finally taking serious looks at dam's genetics in breeding.
  • hey guys/gals,here the pics from the visit to Darley. things to know about darley, first, there as nice and friendly as any farm we went to. most of the open houses offer snacks and drinks,even lunch. darley is no exception. from peggy at the front desk to the people who serve as guides..in my case KATE who is in stallion nominations, to the grooms, everyone at Darley is first class. all the farms know that alot of the visitors during the open house are not breeders but fans and some just kind of tolerate the fans. darley seems to really enjoy hearing from the fans and having us there so if your ever there, make sure to let them know how much you appreciate them throwing the doors open to us regular people.
    darley is the only farm i went to that actually has a guard at the front gates who writes down your name, then opens the gates..most of the other you can pretty much drive right into. another real cool feature of darley is that just to the left of the office is an old castle style tower that is reall cool so i included a couple pics of it.
    for the horses, again, top notch. they all look phenominal. most are shuttled so there no winter coats which led to them NOT being shown outside as, again, it was about -18 the day we were there and most of the guys had only been back a day or two so there was no way they were gonna be taken outside. the only bummer to that was,again, my indoor skills suck and,well, i really really wanted to see ANIMAL KINGDOM with the sun on his coat because hes stunning when his coat get hit with light. that being said, we were there long enough to appreciate NOT being outside in the arctic cold.
    back to Animal Kingdom, hes stunning!. my friend Daria made the comment as we were leaving about him" I didnt get the hype,until today, wow"! AK is a horse you need to see in person to fully appreciate him. hes the horse that most caught my eye at the breeders cup last year. a couple of the horses are pensioned and thus not shown but we got a couple pics of them in there stalls(holy bull and quiet american) pics of elusive quality suck, but least you can see him. Lonrho and his son Denman are nearly identicle. street sense is the typical mr. p line horse but was still cool to see.
    final note on darley,Kate was awesome, she knew i was a giddy fan about AK and was really great about letting us take pics not only of him, but WITH him and ak is also very approachable and not at all aggressive. pretty uncommon in active stallions..the horse is just class on every Level
    animal kingdom and monarchos were the two horses that inspired this years trip. take them away and i would not have gone this year

DARLEY ENTRANCE AND TOWER

ANIMAL KINGDOM

BERNARDINI
  • DENMAN

ELUSIVE QUALITY

HOLY BULL
  • LONRHO

MEDAGLIA D'ORO

having problems with imageshack...again..most of the pics arent coming thru..will try again in the afternoon as tech issues seem pretty common with them :o(
  • Thanks again, Kurt! The Darley guys look great!
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    they sure do look fabulous.....some of my very favorites in this group...thx again Kurt
  • Thank you again for sharing more of your photos, Kurt! They really are awesome in spite of what you say about being inside shots - they are wonderful to see. Thanks!
  • Thanks for sharing. I love Animal Kingdom. Bernardini is just wow!
  • This is such a great thread, thank you for sharing. Nice pics of Kentucky's greatest stallions and great stories.
  • Thanks for the pics!! Especially love the one of Holy Bull!! He is one of my favorites. I have one question, on Denman and Lonroh I noticed a white marking (looked like a band) what is it?
  • Its a brand, all australian stallions get one. Its kinda an aussie thing