Whisper Hill Farm (Mandy Pope)

Comments

• A beautiful colt for sure. It was fun to see Mandy Pope take the plunge and outbid the boys (Willis Horton and D. Wayne Lukas). I hope her one bold bid on this colt pays dividends.
  • Just to be nosy, anybody know the source of Ms. Popes millions? We know about the Moss's, Barbara Banke, Lanes End, Ben Leon (Besilu) groups.
  • It looks like family money.

Here is the write-up on her father John Pope from the foundation that Mandy is very active in.

http://jwpf.org/about/about-john-william-pope/

Also appears that she's made some good horse investments, Tizway alone stands for $15,000.
  • Thanks, Zenyen.
  • Very interesting! Thank you for finding and sharing that info.
  • Kim Langston @krlangston1965 · Oct 3
    Havre de Grace and Plum Pretty grazing. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BzCvN2oIIAAQeTs.jpg:large
  • Kim Langston @krlangston1965 · Oct 3https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BzCth0lCQAEXVN0.jpg:large
    Groupie Doll came up to see us today.
  • Great photos of wonderful mares! Thanks for sharing QueenZFan22!
  • Groupie Doll, Havre de Grace and Plum Pretty- Timber Town in Lexington Ky. Oct 6, 2014
    Let me explain- It was pouring down rain, we lost the battery to the good camera. Lens was wet ....Video for the die-hard fan. They all seemed very happy and happy.
  • I love this video also. I think you did a good job, Ashton, rain and all! They look great! I can't remember, but are any of them pregnant right now? Thanks for sharing!
  • They all are pregnant. Groupie Doll is pregnant to Tapit i think. Havre de Grace is pregnant with War Front and I forget who Plum went to
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    They all are pregnant. Groupie Doll is pregnant to Tapit i think. Havre de Grace is pregnant with War Front and I forget who Plum went to
    I could be wrong....but I think I read Plum went to War Front too...
  • I think it was Gracie who had a Tapit foal this year.
  • Havre de Grace foaled a Tapit filly in 2014 and was bred to War Front for 2015
    Plum Pretty foaled at Distorted Humor colt in 2014 and was bred to Wart Front for 2015
    Groupie Doll was retired the end of 2013 and bred in 2014, she is in foal to Tapit.
  • Great video, Ashton, in spite of the rain and wet lenses. Just to be able to visit with such greatness, even in lousy weather, is just awesome to me and I'm so glad you were able to film and share with us!
  • Thanks for the answers everyone.
  • Thank you everyone. I'm glad you enjoyed it in spite of the poor quality. AGAIN, for the die hard fan, here is a little over two minutes of photos not in the video (above)...I left out. They are full body shots of Groupie Doll I thought some of her fans may want to see. The video is unlisted, but if anyone should actually want to share it, they are welcome to. This is just some photos thrown together with a song I hope is not too undesirable in the nature of sharing. I'm sorry I can take so long to respond to people. I have a very crazy schedule. All the best to everyone. I'm excited about the Breeders' Cup. I hope all of you are too.
  • Mandy Pope buys Liszy's Union for 300k. She is by Dixie Union out of Liszy, in foal to The Factor
  • Very interesting article here with comments from Mandy Pope about our ladies, HdG, Plum Pretty and Groupie Doll

Apparently HdG is carrying a War Front colt and Plum Pretty a War Front filly! No note on what Groupie Doll is carrying, just that she's dappled and enjoying impending motherhood as she carries a Tapit offspring.

Plans were to send HdG back to Tapit, Plum Pretty back to War Front and Groupie Doll back to Tapit but Mandy says that having bought Aloof and definitely planning to send her back to War Front in 2015, she may change up her plans for HdG, PP and Groupie Doll.

Oh but to be in her shoes and have such decisions to make. :)

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/88607/mares-record-weanling-lead-keeneland-gains
  • Thanks, Zenyen. Wow, Mandy Pope definitely living the dream.
  • Mandy pope maybe thinking about sending mares to galalio. She does not have to worry about money, but if she likes him, which is a given on her bidding, why not go directly to the source? She can do partnerships with them on her stellar broodmare band. Level the risk for outcomes.
  • Mandy pope maybe thinking about sending mares to galalio. She does not have to worry about money, but if she likes him, which is a given on her bidding, why not go directly to the source? She can do partnerships with them on her stellar broodmare band. Level the risk for outcomes.
    If I had to speculate, because Galileo is a turf sire and unless Mandy wants to set up a stable in Europe and race there, there isn't much point in taking the risk with these top dirt mares and sending them overseas and back. There is just too much that can go wrong on the very VERY slim possibility of getting something that's worth it.

By buying daughters of Galileo and mares already in foal to him (probably hoping for fillies) she can get his bloodlines, stamina, speed and influence into the female line of her band. Then cross that to top dirt stallions here in the US and hopefully (because breeding is always about HOPE) get strong, sound, classic distance dirt runners.

She seems to be planning 2+ generations forward and building her breeding program from the female line, which is smart, smart genetics. Secure a top class female family and then you have a very versatile future pick of any stallion you want.
  • Who bred her? Old post. Was talking about Rosalind.
  • RachelRachel Member
    edited December 2014
    Havre de Grace, Plum Pretty and Groupie Doll.

Havre is carrying a colt by War Front and Plum is carrying a filly by War Front.

Havre

Plum

Groupie
  • Plum Pretty is having a War Front filly. They are both in foal to War Front.

"Pope said that 2011 Horse of the Year Havre de Grace and 2011 Kentucky Oaks (gr. I) winner Plum Pretty are also in foal to War Front; Havre de Grace is carrying a colt, and Plum Pretty a filly. "

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/88607/mares-record-weanling-lead-keeneland-gains#ixzz3Km6pfPFY