Whisper Hill Farm (Mandy Pope)

Comments

• Nice story! Nice lady! She cried with surprise and happiness over sale. Seems very down-to-earth.
  • Mandy Pope...living the dream!
  • She has the bucks, shucks, to buy great broodmares, and now she gets to experience breeder's dream of producing top offspring for sales!
  • Yes! I wish her all the best; how much the best is she!
  • I think she is a great owner / breeder. C_M, not sure how to take your comments. I think well of Pope.
  • Maybe you do too.
  • I think she is a great owner / breeder. C_M, not
    sure how to take your comments. I think well of Pope.
    What's to take? "Living the Dream"? How do not know what I mean? Mandy Pope rocks...it's as simple as my words.
  • Haha! Did not know if there was sarcasm intended. :)
  • Totally enjoyed reading that article and learning more about her, making my respect and admiration for her grow stronger. I agree, Captainsmistress, she rocks! I love that she is keeping Havre de Grace's foal by Tapit, Heavenly Grace. I tried to look up the name at Equibase, but the filly wasn't entered there yet. Definitely one to watch in a couple of years.

• She also sold Plum Pretty's first colt by Distorted Humor today for $725,000.
  • Whisper Hill Farm (Mandy Pope) just bought a $2.1 million Tapit colt. http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/94455/whisper-hill-farm-lands-21m-tapit-colt
  • She bought his Bernardini / Pure Clan sibling (2 year old filly) in March 2015.
  • Go Mandy!
  • I got the Tapit colts mixed up. Lael Stables bought the Tapit / Pure Clan colt. This one is out of a daughter of Winning Colors. My mistake.
  • Mandy Pope did buy a full sister to the Tapit colt, Tapping Colors 2013, out of Silver Colors.
  • Mandy Pope did buy a full sister to the Tapit colt, Tapping Colors 2013, out of Silver Colors.
    Thanks for that information, KMM. Added that one to my virtual stable. As a two year old, I wonder where she is training.

• ZenyenZenyen Member
    edited September 2015
    I find the comments chastising Mandy for the money she's spending ironic.

You never seen comments like these for a male owner or a 'group' spending their money. Yet a prominent female owner is being judged for how she chooses to spend her money.

Gottah love this industry (this sentence is sarcasm btw)

ETA: Okay there was some eye rolling over the whole 16 million for the Green Monkey.
  • Isn't that the truth, @Zenyen. Another example of how women will never be considered equal and it's not just in horse racing. It happens everywhere.
  • What I find most interesting is Pope`s willingness to be out front and open about her business and plan. Shows strength. She's out front to take the criticism and she so deserves the credit as the plan comes full circle to success.
    As someone else said. Mandy rocks....
  • I agree, @tincup, she does rock. In fact, I would love to be her or her best friend! She is a super strong lady and she is definitely living the dream.
  • I've always found Mandy Pope interesting and a breath of fresh air ever since she burst on the scene. Her business approach of putting together a top flight broodmare band vs buying racing/stallion prospects has intrigued me from the start!

It's this new grumbling from people about her going high dollar to secure prospects that I find amusing. Any male owners or groups/partnerships who played at that level don't get judged the way the commentators on Blood Horse are judging Ms. Pope this time around.
  • Exactly, @Zenyen. If the $2.1 Tapit/Silver Colors colt had some to whomever Bob Baffert was bidding for (Kaleem Shah - sp?), no one would have said a word. I am a huge fan of Ms. Pope as well. :)
  • And it is her money to spend as she likes.