Breaking News

Comments

• oh my...

"Faraldo, of NY SBOA, "We simply don't have a doping problem in New York." "
  • yeah...and they don't have traffic either.
  • ahh, that quote was for Standardbreds in NY. makes sense cuz they dont break down as much as Thoroughbreds. infact, when a spill occurs the horses are usually fine.
  • @ Rachel:
    You are correct about that, my boyfriend and I met a small-time owner/trainer (Bernie Ban) who had a standardbred (B Smart) who was stabled at the track at the Harness Racing Museum Hall of Fame in Goshen NY, who had curbs. Bernie had named all his SBs "B ..." He babied him and gave him the rest that he needed, but eventually he ended up being entered into a claiming race and was claimed. He was a very good horse who broke a 2-year old record in time trials.

A friend of my boyfriend who owns a TB/SB partnership was showing some prospective clients how "thrilling" the sport of harness racing was at Yonkers when the B Smart broke down. Fortunately the clients did not see the breakdown, but he did. He had called my boyfriend the following day and mentioned the unfortunate event. He had thought about claiming him at one time but noticed the horse had curbs. When my boyfriend started to tell him all about the horse and who his original owner/trainer was, etc., it was like a episode out of "The Twilight Zone. What a small world we live really in.

Breakdowns do happen, but not very often. That's why when it gets too much for me with the breakdowns on the flat side (TB) of racing, I watch the harness racing. I'll never lose my interest in the horses, just in watching "LIVE" (TB) races. I used to enjoy them, not anymore. Especially how this year is starting off. I knew B Smart broke down, but did not know from what until I found this link today. Looking back, I wonder if it had anything to do with the curbs he had when we originally saw him in the barn. He was claimed several times and curbs were an on-going problem with him. I wonder, unlike his first owner, his other owners did not get him the proper rest, and it finally took its toll. It took a while for me to even watch harness racing again after his death.

That's the only breakdown that I know of in the years I've been watching harness-racing. My boyfriend, however, can unfortunately recall some more, but it still doesn't come close to what we have with the flats.

http://breakdown.gaming.ny.gov/searchbreakdown.detail.php?ID=400
  • Excuse my ignorance, but what are "curbs"?
  • Per the Merck Veterinary Manual:

Curb refers to a thickening or bowing of the plantar tarsal ligament due to strain. This ligament may become inflamed and thickened after falling, slipping, jumping, or pulling. This problem is most common in Standardbreds, in which poor conformation of the hock is a predisposing factor.

It is easily seen when observing the horse from the side. A recently formed curb is associated with acute inflammation and lameness. The horse stands and favors the limb with the heel elevated. In chronic cases, there is rarely any lameness or pain.

If the curb is due to acute inflammation, cold packs and rest are indicated. Little can be done to overcome the curb that is secondary to poor conformation. Fortunately, the problem seems to be self-limiting, without lasting effects on performance.
  • Justin Zayat ‏@JustinZayat tweet · Jan 20
    Honored to have a @cnbc segment done on #Paynter and #Zayatstables!
    PLEASE watch!! Wednesday 9 PM!!
    #SuperRich ‏@CNBCSuperRich tweets · Jan 20 SEE 2 days in horse racing worth $27M
    VIP access @BreedersCup @JustinZayat @PaynterZayat
    Weds 9P
    Meet the #SuperRich #NYU student who manages $60,000,000 worth of #horses from his dorm room. #BreedersCup #painter #zayatstables #thoroughbred #racetrack
  • Thanks for explanation, Doreen.
  • Yes, good news. I hope there aren't any horse farms or race tracks in the poisoned water part of W.VA.
  • Afleet, Canadian HOY in 1987 and influential sire, dies at 30 in Japan
  • DoreenDoreen Member
    edited January 2014
    RIP Afleet. He was at stud until he was pensioned in 2011. Looks like he had a full and healthy life. He's the grandsire of Afleet Alex and Amazombie.
  • for those who are watching the Winstar Farm cams

" Hi All – just a quick update on the stallion cams. Our stallion manager is moving the southern hemisphere horses into the main barn and so our cameras are getting reorganized and checked out. They should be back up soon! Thank you for your understanding that this is, in fact a working farm!"
  • RachelRachel Member
    edited January 2014
    seems fitting that it should of been at Belmont Park all along

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/83021/nyra-moves-ruffian-from-april-to-may-11

due to Fox news covering some stakes races, some stakes have been moved around to accomodate them.
  • If anyone is a Tweeter follower of Simon on TVG, he is giving away a Zenyatta saddle towel signed by Mike Smith (#4) if you re-tweet one of his tweets! I don't have a Tweeter acct. but right about now I wish I did. : (
  • For those following MareStare's minidonkeys at Little Creek Side Farm, Mojave Dust (tiny baby jack), survived the night and is coming home from the vet today with his mama, Pixy Dust.
  • I also heard that Far Rockaway (formerly owned by the Mosses) has dropped through the claiming ranks (down to $2,500 level). Maggi Moss is trying to get the money to help retire him. Can't find the facebook post I saw on on though.
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    Just saw ....do not send money....they think "situation will resolve itself".... on Zennys Tribe fb page
  • Friends of Zenyatta: Please take a moment and read Zenyatta Fans: We Need your HELP! It's listed under discussions, thanks.
  • Carolinarkansas , can you give me the link to Zennys Tribe fb page. I can't seem to find it.
  • DoreenDoreen Member
    edited January 2014
    Ria Antonia to race in the Rachel Alexandra before taking on the boys. Owners (Loooch Racing) said they want to do what is right by the horse.
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    Carolinarkansas , can you give me the link to Zennys Tribe fb page. I can't seem to find it.
    the tribe is a closed group on fb.....and I think they are not accepting new members at present...but if that changes I will try to let you know....the moderators of the group come here frequently so they will probably know of your interest
  • new blog with pics
  • Ok thanks carol.