Jockeys

KetaKeta Member
edited January 2014 in Thoroughbred Racing & Sales
Discussion place for stories and race info about jockeys.
There are ones already for Mike Smith and Gary Stevens.
East Coast or West Coast or anywhere in between, there are many great & interesting ones.

Comments

• Jockey Journals — Joe Talamo
    Posted by danonymousracing on Jan 14, 2014 in FEATURED, JOCKEY
    He’s just 24-years-old and already one of the most recognizable faces on the Southern California racing circuit. Joe Talamo has won a Breeder’s Cup race (California Flag, 2009 Turf Sprint) and a Santa Anita Derby (Sidney’s Candy, 2010). When he won the Wood Memorial in 2009 aboard I Want Revenge, it looked as if Talamo had a real shot at winning a Kentucky Derby in just his third year of riding. But then, the unthinkable happened – I Want Revenge was scratched on the morning of the Derby with an ankle injury. Talamo was devastated but tried to not let it show. In this edition of Jockey Journals, Talamo talks about overcoming that disappointment and some of the keys to him becoming one of the most consistent jockeys in North America. He also discusses the unique relationship he has with fans on social media and even answers a few questions sent in via Twitter to Danonymous Racing!
    http://www.danonymousracing.com/jockey-journals-joe-talamo/
  • Keta thanks for posting. i have LOVED Talamo since Jockey's.
  • Keta thanks for posting. i have LOVED Talamo since Jockey's.
    Me too!

• Three Jockeys Took Different Routes to Top
    By Tracy Gantz The Blood-Horse January 13, 2014 5:55 PM
    Javier Castellano, Joel Rosario, and Gary Stevens took three entirely different routes to their positions as jockey finalists in the Eclipse Awards. Who wins could depend upon what criteria voters choose to use.
    Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/82799/three-jockeys-took-different-routes-to-top#ixzz2qPS5U2ie

• I'm shocked Gary Stevens didn't win.
  • I'm shocked Gary Stevens didn't win.
    Same here
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    Gary's story was great....but I think JC earned the eclipse
  • caseycasey any racetrack with camera in handMember
    I feel Gary was robbed. He did something that no one else did this year- came back from a 7 year stint, at his age, and won the TWO biggest races in the BC- the Classic, and the Distaff. He had an amazing year, but didn't earn as much $$$ as JC. Sorry- that's BS. The turfwriters have to stop looking at $$$ and at what accomplishments the finalists have achieved.

On another note, ABR selected my photo of Mike Smith flashing a smile and a thumbs up after winning the Sham Stakes on Midnight Hawk as their fan photo of the week.

http://www.followhorseracing.com/en/the-latest/abr-notebook/january-15-2014/
  • Casey,
    Congrats. Great shot!
    Hugs, Keta
  • Awesome Casey, great photo! I'm with you, Gary Stevens was robbed.
  • Congrats Casey, Great pic of Mike & MH!! ; ) Way to go. I agree, that award should have gone to Gary. Too bad everything has to be about the $$$. : /
  • DoreenDoreen Member
    edited January 2014
    I disagree, as Carol said, it's about earning it. Not just in the sense of $$$, but going out there every day, whether it's $3K claimers or TC or BC contenders, or exercising horses in the morning. Gary because of his HOF credentials had the ability to pick and choose what horse to ride, J.J. rode what his agent was able to secure for him. Gary's comeback is just that, a comeback story, as far as the voting, it reflected that.
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    I truly did not mean the vote was to consider earnings only...but also. ..number of rides....number of wins...perhaps with heavier weight to stakes...plus all that goes into being a jockey....I love Mike and Gary....but I really think when you look at the whole picture ...JC earned the award...
  • 'Prince' leads Holy Bull cast
    By Claire Novak | Bloodhorse Updated: January 23, 2014, 5:27 PM ET
    The last time racing fans saw Grade 2 winner Cairo Prince, he was ding-donging down the stretch with highly regarded Honor Code in a thrilling edition of the Nov. 30
    Remsen Stakes at Aqueduct Racetrack.
    The Kiaran McLaughlin trainee lost that 1 1/8-mile test by a brutal nose in the final jump, but comes back Jan. 25 in the $400,000 Miller Lite Holy Bull Stakes at Gulfstream Park minus his Shug McGaughey-trained foe to contend with -- plus a lesson learned
    by rider Luis Saez.
    McLaughlin attributed the tough Remsen loss to a six-pound weight advantage in
    Honor Code's favor and a rider error by Saez, who nevertheless retained the mount.
    "He knows he made a mistake, but everyone makes mistakes," said McLaughlin, who was critical of Saez for falling into the trap of an extremely slow early pace and allowing Honor Code to rally inside of him. "He knows the horse and he knows not to make the same mistakes."
    Breaking from Post 7 under high weight of 122 pounds, this Pioneerof the Nile colt heads a stout field of 11 sophomore contenders in his first start since the Remsen for the 1 1/16-mile Holy Bull that drew the likes of undefeated Coup de Grace, Pat Byrne trainee Almost Famous, and another runner from the McGaughey barn, Phipps Stable homebred Mr Speaker.
    http://espn.go.com/horse-racing/story/_/id/10334371/cairo-prince-leads-solid-cast-holy-bull
  • Jockey Maylan Studart wins the finale at Aqueduct with a 68-1 long shot photo shows the payouts. two words record breaking.
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t1/1545983_10152729335641091_222879455_n.jpg
  • KetaKeta Member
    edited January 2014
    Jockey Matt Rispoli's riding career could be in jeopardy after injury; estimated four months for recovery
    Rispoli Home and Resting
    Gulfstream Park News & Notes 01/24/2014
    Jockey Matt Rispoli, injured in a three-horse spill at Gulfstream Park on Jan. 20, is back home after being discharged from Memorial Regional Hospital in Hollywood on
    Thursday night.
    Rispoli’s agent, Jay Rushing, Jr., said Friday morning that the 24-year-old Rispoli suffered a concussion, broken right tibia and four fractures to his face, including his cheek and orbital bone.
    Rushing said doctors told he and Rispoli that recovery and rehab could take up to four months. They are scheduled to return to Memorial Regional for a follow-up appointment on Jan. 27.
    Because of the location of the break, Rispoli is also facing a possible procedure to stabilize his leg, which could curtail his riding career. Rispoli has five wins from 70 mounts at the current Gulfstream meet.
    “We have to go back on Monday to check on surgery,” Rushing said. “The break is higher up in his tibia. We’re trying not to have the surgery. If he has to have a rod put in his leg, he may not be able to ride because it could affect the way he squats on a horse.”
    Rispoli was hurt when his mount, 10-year-old mare Suzzona, clipped heels with another horse on the far turn of a five-furlong turf sprint while racing near the lead along the inside. Rispoli was thrown to the ground in the path of several incoming horses including Cameo Lady and Unseen Visitor, both of which also went down.
    Jockeys Luis Saez and Paco Lopez walked away from the spill with no injuries, while Rispoli was taken directly to the hospital.
    “He doesn’t remember anything from the fall on. Looking at the replay he was very, very lucky,” Rushing said. “He’s a young kid, so hopefully he can heal a little faster. He’s a good kid. I hope everything works out for him.”
    Leading rider at Penn National in 2012, Rispoli began his career in 2009 on the Maryland and Pennsylvania circuits. Injuries from a car accident sidelined him for 1 ½ years, but he returned to ride full-time in 2011.
    Rispoli has 432 wins and nearly $9.1 million in earnings from 2,792 lifetime starts. He earned the first graded stakes victory of his career in the My Charmer (G3) at Calder on Dec. 7.
    “Doctors said the break would take two to three months to heal. With rehab and everything, we figure at least four months,” Rushing said. “Unless we go back on Monday and they say something else, right now from what they’re telling us that’s what it sounds like.”
    http://www.gulfstreampark.com/racing/race-info/news/gulfstream-park-news-notes-21
  • TVG ‏@TVG tweet TRIVIA QUESTION Monday Jan. 27 2014
    Monday Trivia: Aqueduct jockey's room 1975. Can you name the jockeys?

• Young jockey Taylor Rice won four races at The Big A today! Congratulations to her on an amazing afternoon!
    Check out HRTV's exclusive interview with Taylor from just a couple weeks ago on her big move to New York and her winter riding at Aqueduct: http://www.hrtv.com/videos/taylor-rice-arrives-in-new-york/?VideoCategoryId=0
  • Yay! Girl Power! :oD Go get 'um Taylor!
  • Funny story about Joe Talamo. Our doc is named Robert Talamo and when we had to go to the ER after our daughter got kicked by a horse, they asked her who her doc was and without batting an eye, she said Joe Talamo. The nurse starting writing it down, and we had to tell her, no, that was the jockey, not the doctor!