Jockeys

Comments

• KetaKeta Member
    edited March 2014
    Saturday March 29, 2014
    Jockey change at Gulfstream-Joel Rosario replaces Mike Smith.
    That is good news. The weather is not that great
    That means Mike can focus on the races at Fair Grounds.

Horse Mike was scheduled to ride won!
    HRRN ‏tweet
    Newsdad and Vertiformer battled it out down the stretch in the Pan-American Stakes with Newsdad taking it at the wire
  • KetaKeta Member
    J.J. Hysell ‏tweet Sat. March 29 2014
    Jockey Rosie Napravnik a tour de force today in Louisiana - has her #KyOaks horse in Untapable and #KyDerby horse in Vicar's In Trouble
    HRRN ‏
    Vicar's in Trouble an easy winner with @RosieNapravnik aboard in the Louisiana Derby. Intense Holiday,Commanding Curve and In Trouble top 4.
  • In Trouble was disqualified and placed 5th behind Albano.
  • I didn't know Rosie's husband was asst. trainer to Mike Maker (?). Didn't catch his name but I did hear that......the lady interviewing him kinda implied that is how Rosie got the ride. Her husband didn't seem to like it.
  • KetaKeta Member
    edited March 2014
    KayJay
    Here is info from article. Yes, her husband Joe Sharp an assistant to Mike Maker.
    But, Rosie's record stands on its own. So, I understand his being annoyed.
    Hugs, Keta
    FYI This is one section from a lengthy bio article.
    Rosie Makes Fair Grounds Look Like Big Easy
    Napravnik now makes her home in New Orleans with her husband Joe Sharp, an assistant to trainer Mike Maker, and she has dominated the jockey standings at Fair Grounds the past few years.
    In 2011, she won the jockey title with 110 wins, 31 more winners than runner-up Shaun Bridgmohan. In 2012, she won 111 races, easily outpacing runner-up James Graham, who had 79 winners.
    This year things have been even better as she's won 125 races at Fair Grounds, with Graham next in line with 83 winners.
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1665465-meet-rosie-napravnik-horse-racings-first-female-triple-crown-jockey
  • Thanks Keta for the info, I didn't know a lot about Rosie. I did think it was kinda crappy of that woman to suggest Rosie got the ride and is now going to the Derby because her HUSBAND is the asst. trainer. It's not like she wasn't doing a great job riding the horse or anything. = /
  • KetaKeta Member
    In Trouble was disqualified and placed 5th behind Albano.
    It is confusing with 2 horses with like names in a race.
    There is Vicar's in Trouble the winner and In Trouble the DQ'd horse
    Glad that I didn't have to call this one
    Keta

By Matt Gardner Down the Stretch Mar 29 2014
    Vicar's in Trouble, winner of the Lecomte Stakes in late February, broke well from the gate, went to the lead within the first quarter mile, turned back a challenge from Intense Holiday on the far turn, and rolled home to win the Louisiana Derby and book at ticket to Churchill Downs for the 2014 Kentucky Derby. Intense Holiday, winner of last month's Risen Star Stakes at the Fair Grounds, was a well beaten second as the 9/5 post time favorite. Commanding Curve finished third, while In Trouble rounded out the superfecta. (After an inquiry, In Trouble was disqualified and Albano placed fourth.)http://www.anddownthestretchtheycome.com/kentucky-derby-prep-races/2014/3/29/5562218/louisiana-derby-2014-results-winner-payouts
  • KetaKeta Member
    Louisiana-bred Vicar's in Trouble paves way to Kentucky with Louisiana Derby win
    By Katherine Terrell, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune on March 29, 2014
    Jockey Rosie Napravnik and her husband, assistant trainer Joe Sharp, knew Vicar's in Trouble was for real in the winter.
    When they'd go home at night, they'd talk about the possibility of winning the big races together with the colt one day.
    "We've liked this horse since Keeneland in October," Sharp said. "And as he started to develop a little more, we said 'Wouldn't it be neat if we ended up on the big stage together in the Louisiana Derby, and if everything stays well, the Kentucky Derby.'"
    http://www.nola.com/horseracing/index.ssf/2014/03/vicars_in_trouble.html
  • I've loved him since Keeneland too. When I have time, I'll upload my video and photos....Thank you for taking the time to share, as always.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Florida Derby should help clarify jockeys’ choices for Kentucky
    The Florida Derby should help clarify which horses are contenders in the Run for the Roses, and John Velazquez hopes he’s on the right one in Kentucky.
    By Gary Long Miami Herald > Sports > Horse Racing Posted on Saturday, 03.29.14
    John Velazquez’s victory aboard Orb in last year’s Florida Derby presented him with an enviable but delicate decision.
    Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/03/29/4026105/florida-derby-should-help-clarify.html#storylink=cpy

• KetaKeta Member
    Jockey Kayla Stra Out With Thumb Injury
    By Blood-Horse Staff March 30, 2014 6:15 PM
    Jockey Kayla Stra is expected to miss up to 10 days with a dislocated right thumb suffered when her mount, Russian Silk, broke down passing the quarter pole in the ninth race March 29 on the Santa Anita Park turf.
    "I’ll probably name her on mounts a week from Thursday," agent Richie Silverstein said. "I won’t be taking mounts this Friday and Saturday."
    Added Stra: "The dislocation retracted quickly; it’s more like a sprain."
    Stra, 29, is from Adelaide, South Australia, where she began her riding career. She started riding in North America in 2007 and has been part of the Southern California jockey colony for most of that time.
    She has won 143 races, according to Equibase, from 1,891 mounts with purse earnings of $3,738,785. At the current Santa Anita meet, she has won with six of 68 starts.
    Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/84121/jockey-kayla-stra-out-with-thumb-injury#ixzz2xUSMqwtr
  • KetaKeta Member
    Mike Smith Results
    March 29 - Fair Grounds
    Rare Penny Scratched (Off-Turf) Race 5
    Eriugena (IRE) finished 1st by 3 1/4 lengths Race 6
    Fiftyshadesofgold finished 2nd beaten 7 3/4 lengths Race 7
    Amira's Prince (IRE) finished 2nd beaten by a neck Race 8
    Palace Malice finished 1st by 4 3/4 lengths Race 10
    Intense Holiday finished 2nd beaten 3 1/2 lengths Race 11
  • Oaklawn Park: Van Dyke returns home to ride in Fantasy: http://www.drf.com/news/oaklawn-park-van-dyke-returns-home-ride-fantasy
  • KetaKeta Member
    $1 million TwinSpires.com Wood Memorial
    (gr. I, race 10, approximate post 5:40 p.m. EDT), 3YOs, 1 1/8 miles (dirt)
    PP, Horse, Jockey, Trainer, Odds
    1. Kid Cruz (KY), M. Franco, L Rice, 20-1
    2. Wicked Strong (KY), R. Maragh, J Jerkens, 15-1
    3. Noble Moon (VA), I. Ortiz Jr., L Gyarmati, 12-1
    4. Harpoon (KY), J. Velazquez, T A Pletcher, 8-1
    5. Los Borrachos (KY), C. Velasquez, W I Mott, 30-1
    6. Kristo (KY), M. Garcia, J Sadler, , 6-1
    7. Schivarelli (FL), J. Castellano, E Kenneally, 15-1
    8. Samraat (NY), J. Ortiz, R Violette Jr., 7-2
    9. Effinex (NY), R. Montanez, D Smith, 50-1
    10. Uncle Sigh (NY), C. Nakatani, G Contessa, 5-1
    11. Social Inclusion (KY), L. Contreras, M Azpurua, 2-1
    All carry 123 pounds.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/84175/wood-memorial-pits-upstart-against-ny-breds#ixzz2xqgP3w1p
  • KetaKeta Member
    $1 Million Santa Anita Derby
    (gr. I, Race 8, 3:42 p.m.), 3YOs, 1 1/8 Miles
    PP. Horse, Jockey, Trainer, ML Odds
    1. Rprettyboyfloyd (KY), R Bejarano, D E Breuer, 20/1
    2. Friendswith K Mill (KY), T Baze, D F O'Neill, 20/1
    3. Hoppertunity (KY), M E Smith, B Baffert, 3/1
    4. Big Tire (KY), E A Maldonado, M Glatt, 20/1
    5. California Chrome (CA), V Espinoza, A Sherman, 6/5
    6. Candy Boy (KY), G L Stevens, J W Sadler, 9/5
    7. Schoolofhardrocks (KY), J Talamo, D E Hofmans, 10/1
    8. Dublin Up (KY), K J Desormeaux, P Miller, 30/1

All carry 122 pounds.
    Blinkers On: Rprettyboyfloyd
    Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/84182/chrome-tries-candy-boy-in-santa-anita-derby#ixzz2xpicWLPX
  • KetaKeta Member
    Rosie Napravnik, Steve Asmussen, Maggi Moss win Fair Grounds titles
    By NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune updated March 30, 2014
    Familiar names again topped the standings at Fair Grounds Race Course & Slots, as Rosie Napravnik, Steve Asmussen, and Maggi Moss repeated their respective titles as leading jockey, trainer, and owner at the 142nd thoroughbred race meet.
    Napravnik notched her fourth consecutive riding title, besting runner-up James Graham for the third consecutive season, concluding the season with 114 wins, a nine-win advantage over Graham.
    http://www.nola.com/horseracing/index.ssf/2014/03/rosie_napravnik_steve_asmussen.html?
  • • Casse said Calvin Borel will get the mount on Conquest Titan in the Arkansas Derby.

• Trainer Billy Gowan said Jon Court, winner of two of the past four editions of the Arkansas Derby, will have the mount on grade I-placed Ride On Curlin in that race.

• The complete field for the $600,000 Apple Blossom Handicap from the rail out with riders and weights: Close Hatches, Joel Rosario, 121; Rose to Gold, Calvin Borel, 115; Stanwyck, Gary Stevens, 115; On Fire Baby, Joe Johnson, 115, and Let Faith Arise, Corey Nakatani, 117.
  • KetaKeta Member
    The Jockey Club tweet · Apr 5
    Amazing that jockey Leighton Aspell once retired from racing for a season in 2008 and has now won the 2014 #GrandNational
    Horse Racing Ireland · Apr 5
    37-year-old Leighton Aspell retired as a jockey in 2007 but went back to race riding because he missed the buzz & camaraderie. Good choice!

• KetaKeta Member
    Sutherland-Kruse Returns to Woodbine in 2014
    By Blood-Horse Staff April 10, 2014 3:32 PM
    Chantal Sutherland-Kruse will make her return to Woodbine with four mounts April 12 as the curtain lifts on the Canadian track's 2014 meet.
    Sporting a vibrant pink jacket and a California tan, Sutherland-Kruse was easy to spot the morning of April 9 on the Woodbine backstretch, traveling barn-to-barn with agent Don Parente.
    Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/84316/sutherland-kruse-returns-to-woodbine-in-2014#ixzz2yWDZs023