Jockeys

Comments

• KetaKeta Member
    Allison Janezic ‏tweet on Thurs. April 10 2014 with PHOTO
    DANCE TO BRISTOL and her rider Xavier Perez at Laurel where she was honored
    in a retirement ceremony. #racehorselove

Keta Note: The photo tells the love story between this jockey and this horse!
  • KetaKeta Member
    Article is lengthy-worth the read.

Horse racing industry needs a super horse
    By Jared Christopher Star-Telegram Posted Wednesday, Apr. 09, 2014
    When Triple Crown-winning jockey Steve Cauthen bought his 300-acre horse farm in Verona, Ky., 36 years ago, he did so as an investment.
    As the nation’s leading rider in 1977, the then 17-year-old was on top of the horse racing world; winner of 487 races while becoming the first jockey in history to win $6 million in purse money. He was given the Eclipse Award for Outstanding Jockey and named Sports Illustrated’s Sports-man of the Year.
    Horse racing’s popularity, too, was reaching new heights following Triple Crown wins by Secretariat (1973) and Seattle Slew (1977), breaking the near 30-year drought of Triple Crown winners the sport had endured since the mighty Citation’s romp in the 1948 Belmont under Hall of Fame rider Eddie Arcaro.
    Buying the farm was a sound investment, it seemed.
    In 1978, the Kid, as he had become known, would join his hero, Arcaro, etching his name in the annals of racing legend aboard Affirmed, scoring the sport’s third Triple Crown of the decade in a wire-to-wire, breathtaking win by a nose over archrival Alydar.
    And then, as if it were galloping out of the turn alongside him, the Triple Crown disappeared, taking the crowds, the hype, the handle and the sport of horse racing with it.
    So now what?
    The sport needs a Triple Crown winner, a super horse to serve as a catalyst. As defined by Merriam-Webster, a catalyst is “an agent that provokes or speeds significant change or action.”
    Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/04/09/5725807/horse-racing-industry-needs-a.html#storylink=cpy

Later in article
    Bart Lang, Lone Star Park at Grand Prairie’s director of racing, pointed to the difficulties the horsemen face in deciding where to run their horses.
    “It would definitely make things easier if we all operated under a standard set of rules,” said Lang, grandson of legendary Pimlico general manager Chick Lang. “There’s a lot of interstate travel with horses nowadays, more so than ever before and, when you have a varied set of rules, it’s tough on the horsemen. It would be nice if there was a central office that could combine everybody’s interest and make it more uniform.”

• KetaKeta Member
    Jockey injured in training accident
    Bloodhorse Updated: April 11, 2014
    Racing Hall of Fame jockey Edgar Prado was injured in a training accident at Keeneland the morning of April 10 and will be out of action for at least 30 days.
    "He is doing fine this morning," said Prado's agent, Bob Klesaris, the morning after the incident. "He has a hairline fracture of the C-7, which is at the base of his neck. The horse he was on hit him in the face with his head and Edgar was knocked out when he fell."
    Prado, a three-time winner of the Toyota Blue Grass Stakes, was scheduled to ride Vinceremos in the $750,000 race April 12. Julien Leparoux will replace Prado on Vinceremos in the Blue Grass.
    In the same incident, jockey Jose Lezcano bruised his shoulder. The two riders were breezing horses for trainer Brian Lynch.
    "He is sore and will be off all of his mounts [Friday], but plans to ride Saturday and Sunday," Keeneland clerk of scales Javier Torres said of Lezcano.
    Lezcano was named to ride Alakazan Alakazan in the Maker's 46 Mile. Corey Lanerie will replace him.
    http://espn.go.com/horse-racing/story/_/id/10768399/prado-injured-training-mishap-30-days
  • If anyone's interested, there is a profile of Rosie Napravnik in the May issue of O (aka Oprah's magazine). It's only half a page, but a nice story anyway.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Marty McGee Daily Racing Form tweet Sunday April 13 2014
    FYI that '13 Eclipse-winning jockey J.Castellano to serve 3-day suspension (Wed.-Fri.) after mount DQ'd from a race here this week. #Kee
  • @Keta have you heard anything about Garrett Gomez? Last I heard he didn't want to ride for a while but that was last fall. Have you heard anything more?
  • KetaKeta Member
    @Keta have you heard anything about Garrett Gomez? Last I heard he didn't want to ride for a while but that was last fall. Have you heard anything more?
    QueenZFan20
    From what I have read on Twitter, he is still deciding what he wants to do
    Here are tweets from Garrett
    Garrett Gomez · Mar 7 2014
    It's Great to be nominated once again for the Hall Of Fame.
    It is Pure honor to even have my name on the ballet. So next step is to get in!!!
    Garrett Gomez ‏· Feb 27
    #not sure what im doing yet.

2014 Hall of Fame Finalists Announced; Antley, Asmussen, Curlin on Ballot
    The Paulick Report -Press Release-3-07-2014
    Four jockeys, four Thoroughbreds and two trainers comprise the 10 finalists on the National Museum of Racing’s 2014 Hall of Fame ballot, as selected by the Hall of Fame Nominating Committee. The candidates are: jockeys Chris Antley, Garrett Gomez, Craig Perret and Alex Solis; Thoroughbreds Ashado, Curlin, Kona Gold and Xtra Heat; and trainers Steve Asmussen and Gary Jones.
    From article:
    Gomez has won 3,769 races and has purse earnings of $205,224,899 in a career that began in 1988. He has won 318 graded stakes and 566 overall stakes. Gomez won the Eclipse Award for Outstanding Jockey in 2007 and 2008 and led all North American riders in earnings each year from 2006 through 2009.
    Gomez won a record 76 stakes races in 2007 and has 13 Breeders’ Cup wins to his credit, including the 2010 Classic with champion Blame. Among Gomez’s major victories are the Pacific Classic, Travers, Santa Anita Derby, Whitney Handicap, Stephen Foster, Kentucky Oaks and Jockey Club Gold Cup. He won the George Woolf Memorial Jockey Award in 2011.
    http://www.paulickreport.com/news/people/2014-hall-of-fame-finalists-announced-antley-asmussen-curlin-on-ballot/

FYI=his agent is now handling Corey Nakatani-did this when Garrett left
    The last news story I know of was the Hall of Fame announcement
    I think that is good. Hopefully, he will be back. Keta

• The rumor was that Garrett was having the same kind of troubles that Tyler Baze was having, problems with alcohol plus marriage troubles to go with it. He took time off during Del Mar or before last year trying to deal with it but it didn't work out so he just quit for an indefinite period of time.
  • KetaKeta Member
    David M. Miller ‏tweets on JOCKEYS Sunday April 13 2014
    writing about jockeys every day reminds me of scene from The Right Stuff where Gordo Cooper is asked "who was the best pilot you ever saw?"
    Cooper, having seen Yeager fly, begins to tell reporter about this pilot he once knew, but realizes the art form was beyond explanation
    Remember, Delahoussaye rode something like eight seasons in Chicago and only locals knew how good he was until he got to California
  • KetaKeta Member
    The rumor was that Garrett was having the same kind of troubles that Tyler Baze was having, problems with alcohol plus marriage troubles to go with it. He took time off during Del Mar or before last year trying to deal with it but it didn't work out so he just quit for an indefinite period of time.
    Santa Anita: Gomez taken off all mounts
    By Steve Andersen Daily Racing Form 10/10/2013 2:52PM
    ARCADIA, Calif. – Jockey Garrett Gomez, who missed part of the summer while dealing with issues related to alcoholism, took off his mounts at Santa Anita on Thursday, and was later removed from his mounts for the rest of the racing week by track stewards, pending a hearing regarding his absence.
    Gomez’s agent, Tony Matos, met with track stewards at 9:30 a.m. on Thursday to discuss the situation. Matos later that said Gomez sent him a text message on Thursday morning, stating, “Take me off the horses. I’m not going to ride for the time being.”
    There was some discussion on the backstretch that Gomez is even contemplating retirement. Asked about that possibility, Matos said, “I can’t retire him. That’s his decision.”
    http://www.drf.com/news/santa-anita-gomez-taken-all-mounts

• KetaKeta Member
    edited April 2014
    Norm S tweet perfectly summarizes the article Mon. April 14 2014
    jockey whacks 2x
    horse drifts in from 6 path to 2 path
    makes contact
    heads to Oaklawn Winners Circle

Will Take Charge survives inquiry
    By Claire Novak | Bloodhorse Updated: April 13, 2014
    Willis Horton's Will Take Charge notched his first victory of the season in the $600,000 Oaklawn Handicap April 12 at Oaklawn Park, surviving multiple claims of foul and a lengthy inquiry.
    The 3-year-old champion of 2013 raced behind the honest early pace of :23.47 seconds, :47.68 seconds, and 1:11.63 set by Right to Vote and Razorback Handicap winner and 3-1 second choice Golden Lad through the first six furlongs of the 1 ⅛ mile test. He then launched his challenge on the outside as they turned for home, first brushing with Golden Lad, ridden by Gary Stevens, then drifting in near the eighth pole while getting a mile in 1:36.87.
    Through the final furlong, heavily favored Will Take Charge received strong right-handed urging from Saez while battling with Revolutionary, with Mike Smith aboard, until drawing clear by three-quarters of a length.
    Saez had to argue against claims from both Stevens and Mike after Smith and WinStar Farm's Revolutionary swung out to finish second.
    http://espn.go.com/horse-racing/story/_/id/10776881/will-take-charge-survives-oaklawn-inquiry
  • One major Derby jockey assignment to report today. Per Pletcher, @ljlmvel is on Intense Holiday, as Smith sticks with Hoppertunity. #KyDerby
  • Current Kentucky Derby lineup: http://inthemoneypost.com/current-kentucky-derby-lineup

(This also includes jockeys who have committed to horses)
  • QueenZFan20QueenZFan20 Member
    edited April 2014
    Current Kentucky Derby lineup: http://inthemoneypost.com/current-kentucky-derby-lineup

(This also includes jockeys who have committed to horses)
    California Chrome (150) (Jockey: Victor Espinoza)
    Constitution (100) (Jockey: Javier Castellano)
    Hoppertunity (95) (Jockey: Mike Smith)
    Intense Holiday (93) (Jockey: John Velazquez)
    Wildcat Red (90) (Jockey: Rafael Bejarano)
    Ride on Curlin (55) (Jockey: Calvin Borel)
    General a Rod (40) (Jockey: Joel Rosario)
    Candy Boy (30) (Jockey: Gary Stevens)
    Cairo Prince (24) (Jockey: Luis Saez)

(Interesting to see that Rosie hasn't committed to a horse yet.)
  • Ricardo Santana Jr. will ride Tapiture in the Kentucky Derby if he runs in the race, according to trainer Steve Asmussen. #KYDerby
  • Robby Albarado will ride Medal Count in the Derby.
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    I thought Rosie was on Vicars in Trouble?
  • I thought Rosie was on Vicars in Trouble?
    I'm sure she will be but nothing "official" has been posted so I haven't listed her as having a mount yet.
  • jose ortiz better commit to samrrat
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    On drf tweet line .....Rosie posted pic of ViT......think she went to see him
  • i love rosie she always goes.to see her horses theres all these pics of her visiting mark valaski mylute joyful victory etc
  • tyler baze is riding hot im so happy
  • KetaKeta Member
    Injury Knocks Constitution Off Derby Trail
    Breaking News By Blood-Horse Staff April 16, 2014 10:01 AM
    Besilu Florida Derby (gr. I) winner Constitution will miss the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) and the other two Triple Crown races after a hairline fracture in his front right cannon bone was discovered April 14.
    Trained by Todd Pletcher, the undefeated son of Tapit breezed a half mile in :50 3/5 on April 13 at Palm Meadows training track in Boynton Beach, Fla., and on Monday morning he was discovered to be off in his right front leg.
    Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/84413/injury-knocks-constitution-off-derby-trail#ixzz2z46tmLvt