Tapiture: Ricardo Santana Jr
    Vicar's In Trouble: Rosie Napravnik
    Dance With Fate: Corey Nakatani
    Chitu and Midnight Hawk: Martin Garcia
    Uncle Sigh: Irad Ortiz Jr.
    Ring Weekend: Alan Garcia
  • i think tyler baze should ride midnight hawk
  • that would be amazing if jose ortiz won om his first try
  • I wonder who Javier C. is going to ride now that Constitution is out of the Derby?
  • he would probably take someones mount i mean what owner and trainer would not what JC to ride for them
  • KetaKeta Member
    Keeneland ‏tweet with Photo · Apr 16
    Jockey autograph signing tomorrow, 11:30-12:30 p.m. adjacent to the Paddock. Proceeds PDJ Fund.

Note: Signing was today Thursday April 17th
  • KetaKeta Member
    Brothers to ride in Kentucky Derby: Jose and Irad Ortiz
    By J.J. Hysell In the Money April 18, 2014
    Brothers will be riding in the 140th Kentucky Derby. New York’s leading jockeys, siblings Jose Ortiz and Irad Ortiz, Jr., are named on mounts in the race on May 3.
    Jose Ortiz is slated to ride Wood Memorial runner-up Samraat and Ird Ortiz, Jr. is scheduled to be aboard Withers and Gotham runner-up Uncle Sigh.
    From NYRA release:
    According to available records, Irad Ortiz, 21, and Jose Ortiz, 20, will be the first brothers to ride against each other in the Derby since 1976, when Chris McCarron was sixth on Cojak and Gregg McCarron finished fifth aboard On the Sly.
    http://inthemoneypost.com/brothers-to-ride-in-kentucky-derby-jose-and-irad-ortiz/

“I think that’s a pretty good story – two brothers, both from New York, riding two New York horses in the Derby,” said Samraat’s owner, Leonard Riggio. “You don’t see that very often.”

• KetaKeta Member
    This is an excellent article on the Ortiz brothers-long but worth the read. Keta
    Aqueduct: Father figure stands behind Ortiz brothers' success
    By Ryan Goldberg Daily Racing Form 04/04/2013
    One winter day at Aqueduct a decade ago, Efraim Rosa stood sentry in the jockeys’ room when Irad Ortiz, his old friend from Puerto Rico, came by with his two grandchildren, Irad Jr. and Jose. So close in age they looked like twins, the boys were still a few years short of their teens.
    “These are going to be my jockeys!” exclaimed the grandfather, who had been a jockey in Puerto Rico but was now working on the backstretch in New York.
    http://www.drf.com/news/aqueduct-father-figure-stands-behind-ortiz-brothers-success

From the DRF article
    Pito observed how Cordero, by then the undisputed leader of the New York colony, kept his Queens home open for young riders who had left their families and their Latin American homelands, if they were good kids and wanted to learn. Not only riders, but stable hands and agents, relatives and friends, everybody treated the same as long as you loved the game. He mentored Pito. They talked horses, talked races, talked jockeys and strategy. When Cordero’s late wife, Marjorie, trained, Pito was her assistant.

“Angel watches them closely,” Pito says with pride. “He watches three riders – Johnny V. and the Ortiz brothers. All the things I taught them, I learned from Angel.”

Later in article
    When each brother arrived in New York, Pito offered introductory pointers: “Save ground. The trainers here want you to save ground. Have patience. The whip is not to abuse a horse, but to call his attention. Be connected with the horse.”

More from article
    “I told Irad, ‘Know how the other riders ride, know their tendencies,’ ” Pito says. “He already knows. Know what they like to do, I told him, and you have them at your mercy. Know the guys who like to get off the fence, and then you won’t have to circle the field.”

• Corey Nakatani, who rode Dance With Fate in the Blue Grass, will ride him in the Kentucky Derby.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Jerry Bossert NYDN · tweet Sat. April 19 2014
    JUNIOR ALVARADO makes his return to the races in the fifth #Aqueduct after breaking ankle in December. @Juniorjockey @TheNYRA
  • Just saw on Horse racing nation that Raphael B. lost the ride on Wild Cat Red to Luis Saez after Cairo Prince dropped out. I feel bad for Raphael and I hope he is able to get
    another ride.
  • This is an excellent article on the Ortiz brothers-long but worth the read. Keta
    Aqueduct: Father figure stands behind Ortiz brothers' success
    By Ryan Goldberg Daily Racing Form 04/04/2013
    One winter day at Aqueduct a decade ago, Efraim Rosa stood sentry in the jockeys’ room when Irad Ortiz, his old friend from Puerto Rico, came by with his two grandchildren, Irad Jr. and Jose. So close in age they looked like twins, the boys were still a few years short of their teens.
    “These are going to be my jockeys!” exclaimed the grandfather, who had been a jockey in Puerto Rico but was now working on the backstretch in New York.
    http://www.drf.com/news/aqueduct-father-figure-stands-behind-ortiz-brothers-success

From the DRF article
    Pito observed how Cordero, by then the undisputed leader of the New York colony, kept his Queens home open for young riders who had left their families and their Latin American homelands, if they were good kids and wanted to learn. Not only riders, but stable hands and agents, relatives and friends, everybody treated the same as long as you loved the game. He mentored Pito. They talked horses, talked races, talked jockeys and strategy. When Cordero’s late wife, Marjorie, trained, Pito was her assistant.

“Angel watches them closely,” Pito says with pride. “He watches three riders – Johnny V. and the Ortiz brothers. All the things I taught them, I learned from Angel.”

Later in article
    When each brother arrived in New York, Pito offered introductory pointers: “Save ground. The trainers here want you to save ground. Have patience. The whip is not to abuse a horse, but to call his attention. Be connected with the horse.”

More from article
    “I told Irad, ‘Know how the other riders ride, know their tendencies,’ ” Pito says. “He already knows. Know what they like to do, I told him, and you have them at your mercy. Know the guys who like to get off the fence, and then you won’t have to circle the field.”

that was a great article i loved it because jose ortiz is my favorite jockey

• KetaKeta Member
    Mike Welsch ‏DRF tweet Sunday April 20 2014
    Trainer Todd Pletcher says Javier Castellano to ride We Miss Artie in Ky. Derby

Pletcher says Castellano commitment for We Miss Artie also includes Queens Plate
  • who is JV riding in the derby
  • who is JV riding in the derby
    Intense Holiday
  • Calvin Borel will ride Sugar Shock in the Oaks.
  • Channing Hill will ride Aurelia’s Belle in the Oaks
  • Shaun Bridgmohan will ride Room Service if she runs in the oaks.
  • Stewart Elliott feature:
  • ALAN GARCIA will ride RING WEEKEND in Kentucky Derby 140 @AlanGarcia_85 @GrahamMotion @CJ_Jennie @DRFGrening