What Zenyatta taught this noted clocker about class

EJXD2EJXD2 Member
edited January 2014 in Zenyatta
Bruno De Julio discuses Zenyatta and how her ability to "multi-task" taught him about class https://www.twinspires.com/blog/2014/1/13/bruno-works-focusing-horse

Comments

• That's our Zenny...always finding the way to bring out the best in everyone...even the clocker!
  • Very interesting article. It just goes to show that sometimes the horse knows best. Well, if the horse is Zenyatta, that is.
  • Wow. Excellent article and very interesting. One is constantly learning on this Forum.
  • KalarKalar Member
    edited March 2014
    Interesting and enlightening. It reminded me of something I noticed in re-visiting a clip of the 2010 BCC. I realize that, at first, Mike was whipping left-handed when moving out into the clear in the stretch. She didn't seem to pick it up until he started whipping right-handed and I could see her surge forward. Sadly, there wasn't enough stretch left. I wondered if she would have hit that last gear (the one as yet untapped :) ) if she had moved a little closer to Blame a little sooner or would that have cost her a step or two. One more stride and history!! It took me a long time to even look at the clips, it was such a heartbreaker. Still, I comfort myself with how close it was and how many horses she did beat. It tickled me pink for her to win HOY and the look on Seth Hancock's face was priceless. He was mad.
  • Of course he was mad. After the breeders cup he came right out and said HOY was decided about 20 minutes ago on the track and there no way you can vote for her. I'm not trying to cause any problems here but by saying this I think he caused his horse HOY. Blame will never get the credit he deserve because of Zenyatta but to not have given Zenyatta HOY honors after all she had done for the sport would have just been sad. To me at least HOY is not always about what a horse does on the track but how did the horse affect the fans. Yes winning Grade 1 is important but in a tight year like 2010 between Blame and Zenyatta it comes down to who did more for the sport and in this case it just happen to be Zenyatta.
  • Sorry, I know it is not his fault, he is just a horse, but I've never forgiven Blame for that race. Or Garrett Gomez. Nor have I liked Seth Handcock or Al Stall since because of their post race attitudes. Especially when Seth said, "Of course Blame will be HOY because the Breeder's Cup Classic winner is ALWAYS HOY." Well, if that were true, Z would have been HOY the year before. Instead Rachel took the award and she didn't even come to the BC. All I remember was Z being unsaddled and lead away after the race and hearing Ann & Mike say in an interview right after that Z was confused because she wasn't going to the Winner's Circle for the first time ever and that Z thought she had won the race. Mike was crying and I was crying......
    Mr. De Julio is right, Z is an outstandingly smart horse. I think she always knew where the finish line was but at that BC she had two things against her that she couldn't overcome. 1. She was at a track she didn't know 2. The race was being run under the lights at dusk. I think she misjudged where the finish line was. One more jump and she would have had him. For me, Z winning HOY made up for that loss, a little bit. And you're right, the look on Seth Handcock's face helped too.
  • QueenZFan20QueenZFan20 Member
    edited March 2014
    Here is the 2010 Classic for those of you who want to watch (pre race, race, and post race):
  • I hate to revisit the past but here I go...I was at the 2010 classic and could not believe how far back Zenny was and then, how quickly she made up lost ground only to lose by a whisker or two. From where we stood in the stands it looked as if she won it and I was shocked to see she came in second. Being a closer she had large clumps of dirt hitting her in the face...in some pictures she's tearing down that track with her eyes closed! I blame Quality Road for the loss...he was never a distance horse and slowed down (ran out of gas) when Zenny was at his heels. She had to regroup and hit her massive stride again. Yes, lights were a factor, too, but to me she did win and, although I can't watch the replays either, she ran her best race that day. No other horse could ever think of doing what she did.
  • @ Crazy4Z I agree 100% . I thought she won too. It makes me soooo mad when they say on TV she lost by a head. No Way! She lost by 4-6 inches, 1/2 a nose, if.
    You're right about Quality Road too. He shouldn't have even been in that race. He was a head case the year before and I was shocked to even see him there. : /
  • @KayJay I blame Quality Road being in the field on Pletcher. He knew the horse had no business being in the race but he just had to boost his ego and enter him anyway.
  • @QueenzFan20 Agree 100%. I'm not a Pletcher fan. = /
  • Here is Team Z accepting Zenyatta's HOY trophy 2010: ZENYATTA - 2010 Horse Of The Year Eclipse Award:
  • KalarKalar Member
    edited March 2014
    I am soooo glad to read all of the comments that validate exactly the thoughts I had about the 2010 BCC, Seth Hancock, the lights, Quality Road, and being unable to watch the clips for a long time. Sadly, great horses can lose races for reasons that have nothing to do with the horse's ability. To Gomez's credit, he saluted Zenyatta twice when passing her as she went back to the barn. He also said he wouldn't want a rematch because he knew how lucky he was. Seth Hancock never once mentioned Zenyatta. A high five to Bob Baffert who was rooting for Zenyatta to win when he saw Lookin at Lucky getting tired. :) Frankly, I think a lot of trainers were rooting for her after she passed their horses.

I agree completely with the choice of HOY to include the impact on the sport!! I'm reminded of the saying, "The whole is greater than the sum of its parts." In Z's case, her 'parts' are huge to start with, so the 'whole' of her has to be magnificent!! :D

I would add that Z deserved 2009 HOY!!!
  • KalarKalar Member
    This is one of my favorite race calls of Zenyatta. It's her second race. :) "...if she wins this, she's half an hour the best!"

• Love that video. She demolished the field with her huge run from behind!
  • Regarding the 2009 HOY in the long ran I think they did make the right decision giving to Rachel Alexandra. If you look at it both Zenyatta and Rachel Alexandra beat the boys and they both drew new fans to the sport. They also made old fans remember the glory days. Both won neuromas Grade 1 races. Something had to give. Lots of people will say Rachel Alexandra won because she raced on the East Coast were the majority of the voters lived but if that was the case shouldn't Blame have kicked Zenyatta ass in the 2010 vote? It come down to you beat the boys more and that was Rachel Alexandra. Lets face it if either one of these great racehorses had gone to the breeding shed without a HOY title that would have just been plan wrong.
  • KalarKalar Member
    edited March 2014
    Maybe someone has already posted this, but I just found what 'Vertigineux' means: It's French and means breathtaking, dizzying. How cool is that??
  • I guess Vertig is the root found in both Vertigineux and in Vertigo.
  • KalarKalar Member
    edited March 2014
    Regarding the 2009 HOY in the long ran I think they did make the right decision giving to Rachel Alexandra. If you look at it both Zenyatta and Rachel Alexandra beat the boys and they both drew new fans to the sport. They also made old fans remember the glory days. Both won neuromas Grade 1 races. Something had to give. Lots of people will say Rachel Alexandra won because she raced on the East Coast were the majority of the voters lived but if that was the case shouldn't Blame have kicked Zenyatta ass in the 2010 vote? It come down to you beat the boys more and that was Rachel Alexandra. Lets face it if either one of these great racehorses had gone to the breeding shed without a HOY title that would have just been plan wrong.
    Maybe a small part of the reason Z didn't retire as originally planned after the 09 BCC was because she was still in great shape and did, in fact, deserve an HOY in her list of accomplishments, so they campaigned her to try one more time and to add to her legacy. She had come in 2nd two years in a row. She was campaigned her entire career to that point in a fabulous fashion. They marketed all the love for her by fans as well as her continuing to win race after race. The 2010 BCC should have been hers if life was fair. I think the fact that she came so close is what really turned the tables for the voters. It may not have worked out that way if she came in third or fourth.

I can't say it strongly enough how thrilled I was that she beat out Blame for HOY!! He's a good horse, for sure, but looking at 'the whole,' he doesn't hold a candle to Z. ♥
  • The reason RA was the 2009 HOY was because she went 8 for 8 while Z went 5 for 5. RA raced at many different tracks while Z raced primarily in CA. And true, RA beat the boys 3 times and Z only once. RA also beat older males and she beat both the Derby and Belmont winners. However, this did not diminish Z's accomplishments in my mind and I was desperately hoping that they would share the title. Since that was not to be, I wanted Z to get the title she so richly deserved. And Blame or no Blame, Z earned her title too.

I can't remember another year when there were only 2 nominees for HOY. But it's unheard of that - if there were only 2 - they both would be fillies. In 2009, there was no male who came close to these two.
  • As thrilled as I was at Rachel's 2009 HOY and Zenny's 2010 HOY, I was also amazed and thrilled at Gracie's 2011 HOY. The girls cleaned up 3 years in a row and every win was richly deserved and earned. I believe the tide has now turned and the fillies and mares are much more respected than before. They should have always been revered, but with the 'game' mostly administered by men, I should have figured that just due would take a while. :))))
  • KalarKalar Member
    @Slewpy and @Joanna_TX, I share your sentiments. I have long felt that fillies and mares deserved more notice and also in reference to pedigree. I use to never hear the dam mentioned. I'm hearing it more often now. It's long overdue

I recently learned that Z likely got her height and size from her dam and damsire, Kris S. He was 17h. Vertigineux was also tall like her dad. :) I like to know those details and they are so seldom mentioned.
  • Now, all we need is for the owners and trainers to run the fillies against the boys routinely like they do abroad. That is long overdue too.
  • @ Crazy4Z I agree 100% . I thought she won too. It makes me soooo mad when they say on TV she lost by a head. No Way! She lost by 4-6 inches, 1/2 a nose, if.
    You're right about Quality Road too. He shouldn't have even been in that race. He was a head case the year before and I was shocked to even see him there. : /
    To be fair to Quality Road, he was fine in the gate in 2010. (Zenny didn't load well in 2009 either, but the gate crew managed to get her in.) QR was just in the wrong race. He would have conquered the Dirt Mile.
  • Crazy4ZCrazy4Z Member
    edited March 2014
    Zenny was reluctant to load in 2009 because of the problems with Quality Road and, more importantly according to John S, the gate operator didn't have both gates open for her to get into place. She's huge and needed every inch of available space. I agree the issue with Quality Road running out of gas wasn't his fault at the BC 10...his trainer should have never put him in a distance race and Zenny was a casualty of that decision. Going back to the 2009 episode, if you listen to an interview with the track vet, he called Quality Road a "juvenile delinquent" who was determined not to go in the gate and was scratched because of a laceration to his leg.