Racehorse Movies

Horselover24Horselover24 Member
edited January 2014 in General Interest
I love racehorse movies, but I haven't seen very many. Any suggestions about good ones to watch and which ones to avoid?

Comments

• If you haven't seen it, one of my personal favorites is The Story of Seabiscuit with Shirley Temple. It's not very historically accurate, but it's a fun movie to watch.
  • VA_in_CAVA_in_CA Member
    edited January 2014
    Newer Seabiscuit, good. Secretariat, good. National Velvet, totally unrealistic and impossible, but well-done and perfect for the audience it was aimed at: young adolescent girls. The new movie coming soon about Mine That Bird's Kentucky Derby win sounds as if it will be good. They are using the real horse and jockey in the movie.
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    There is an oldie named Kentucky.....the beginning has great scenery and film of Kentucky and some famous horses
  • Oh, that sounds good carolinarkansas. Where could one find it?
  • Okay its not a race horse movie but the tv show Heartland out of Canada is family friendly and a wonderful show.

We are now in season 7 and its getting better and better.

This season we've dealt with bullying, learning the idea to consolidate and move forward. And even though the story didn't have a fuzzy warm ending--we saw one of supporting characters learning to blow the bully's attitude off.

We are dealing with a traumatic brain injury to the main lead. She suffered a big concussion and lost her eyesight. That story line isn't completed yet. But I have to say that Amber Marshall (she plays the lead Amy Fleming) totally nailed the expression when her boyfriend put pressure on her. We watched her grimace in pain trying to remember.

How well do I remember this from my car accident 7 years ago. Brain lock.

It is well worth buying the seasons. Netflix etc here in the States is so far behind it isn't funny. And you can't buy the episodes on iTunes because we're locked out of Canada. Fair trade agreements and all. All I can say is look online and get creative. That's the only way you'll see each week's episode. And please once the seasons become available on disc make sure to buy them. It's the only way we can show our appreciation to the actors/actresses, writers etc that work so hard to bring this show to life.
  • There's a movie on Ruffian too.
  • There's also the kids Dreamer.
  • Oh, I love the movie Dreamer! Did you know it was inspired by the story of Mariah's Storm who is famous to us as the dam of Giant's Causeway? I didn't know that when I first saw it, but read that recently.
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    Oh, that sounds good carolinarkansas. Where could one find it?
    I saw it on AMC a couple of times...also. the Phar Lap movie is super....I think you can watch it on youtube...
  • Oh, I love the movie Dreamer! Did you know it was inspired by the story of Mariah's Storm who is famous to us as the dam of Giant's Causeway? I didn't know that when I first saw it, but read that recently.
    Yes I did. They have a story about it as a DVD extra. Let me see if I can find it on youtube for you?
  • dont forget about PHAR LAP
  • KayJayKayJay Member
    edited January 2014
    It's not a movie but I guess it was a series, "Wild Fire", or something like that. It was on awhile ago and my son has seen every episode. He tells me all the time I would "love it" if I seen it. Anyone know it?
  • It's not a movie but I guess it was a series, "Wild Fire", or something like that. It was on awhile ago and my has seen every episode. He tells me all the time I would "love it" if I seen it. Anyone know it?
    It's not a movie but I guess it was a series, "Wild Fire", or something like that. It was on awhile ago and my has seen every episode. He tells me all the time I would "love it" if I seen it. Anyone know it?
    KayJay i have it's on Netflix if you have that. i love it.
  • What's it about?
  • Phar Lap, though it's kind of difficult to find. And even if it does have some inaccuracies, Seabiscuit.
  • I have a question. If Dreamer was about Mariah's Storm, then why was she unable to be bred in the movie? I always liked the movie and even own it but one thing that always bothered me about it was, they claimed she won the Breeder's Cup Classic. Well, we all know our Zenyatta was the first and only female to ever win the Classic. When they said it was based on a true story, that is very misleading.
  • KAY- remember, the movie was made before Z won the classic..as for unable to breed in the movie, my guess..and it is only a guess..is that they needed an angle to justify putting her back into training..great movie though. love the overheads of kentucky and of grand slam at coolmore. some great ky scenes
  • I have a question. If Dreamer was about Mariah's Storm, then why was she unable to be bred in the movie? I always liked the movie and even own it but one thing that always bothered me about it was, they claimed she won the Breeder's Cup Classic. Well, we all know our Zenyatta was the first and only female to ever win the Classic. When they said it was based on a true story, that is very misleading.
    They sometimes change things in movies so they can prevent copyright issues. But yes i agree very misleading.
  • I always wondered why they used Grand Slam instead of Giants Causeway for that scene though?
  • I had come to the conclusion that the movie was about My Juliet, who was raced despite the trainer's objection, was injured, then came back and won an Eclipse award. I used to work for My Juliet's trainer, but it was before he trained her. But I knew the back story to her injury, recovery, and Eclipse award. I don't know about the breeding details.
  • I loved those scenes best too. My favorite ; Giant's Causeway, Johannasburgh(?) do I have the right horse here , Fu Peg and Grand Slam at the stables. You are probably right, kurt, about the training thing. Plus, if you are going to make a movie that people want see, then there has to be a big race to win. None bigger than the Classic. : )
  • slewpyslewpy Member
    edited January 2014
    "The Great Dan Patch" is about a harness racehorse.

"Phar Lap" full-length movie is available to watch on the tube, free to watch.

Documentary video: "Jewels of the Triple Crown" narrated by the late Jim McKay. Available on VHS only. Newer similar video "The Most Glorious Crown" is available on DVD.

• I love all of these suggestions for racehorse movies!! I don't watch many movies but I do read a lot of books. I have recently found some very, very good books. They are not books about racehorses but I would encourage everyone to take a look at them. The Tao of Equus, Riding Between the Worlds, Power of the Herd, and Way of the Horse. All of these books have been extremely helpful to me in my dealings with both horses and people. They are all by Linda Kohanov.
  • KayJay, They just said on IMDB about Dreamer that it was "loosely inspired by Mariah's Storm". It's in the trivia part. Regardless, I do love that movie. I also love the most recent Seabiscuit even though it was not totally accurate.