Candy Ride

Since Candy Ride has become a very good sire I thought I should make a thread about him.

Comments

• Speaking of....Shared Belief has made it back to the work tab
  • I have always loved Candy Ride and thought he was Gorgeous!! Also have liked Shared Belief. Thanks for the thread QueenZFan20.
  • Candy Boy (Candy Ride - She’s An Eleven, by In Excess) John Sadler – The last time we saw a fifty something jockey win the Kentucky Derby was nearly three decades ago when the Shoe booted home a Californian horse with a spotty juvenile record. With Saturday’s win in the Robert B. Lewis, Candy Boy, with Gary Stevens in the saddle, is already farther along than Ferdinand was at the same time in his sophomore season. The powerful son of Candy Ride tipped off what he could become with an explosive backstretch move in December’s CashCall Futurity. You have to be a talented horse to make that kind of move against a solid full field, and I liked the way he stayed on after being passed by the 2yo champ, Shared Belief. Armed with a much better knowledge of just how much horse he was sitting on the second time around, Stevens had Candy Boy looking as professional as could be in winning the Lewis. He gives me every indication that the distance will not be a problem. There’s just a lot to like with this one. Look for him to make one more start, the Santa Anita Derby, before heading off to Louisville as one of the main players on the first Saturday in May.
  • Shared Belief (Candy Ride - Common Hope, by Storm Cat) Jerry Hollendorfer – The second son of Candy Ride on this list, I believe he has more in common with Honor Code than Candy Boy, in that he is now squarely behind the eight ball, as far as timing goes. The best two-year-old in the country in 2013, he was nothing short of brilliant last year, highlighted by his romping win over the #2 horse on the list in the Grade 1 CashCall Futurity. Talent only goes so far, however, and for a horse who had serious questions about dirt and distance going into the year, he now has his biggest question of all in attempting to overcome more than a month of missed training at an inopportune time. Best case scenario, he does make it back to training within the week, and Hollendorfer has him ready for the San Felipe on March 8. That’s less than four weeks away, so like I said, he is seeriously behind the eight ball.
  • Candy Boy is #3 on this weeks Derby Dozen list: Candy Boy John Sadler

Candy Ride—She’s an Eleven, by In Excess

Sadler might have had a few moments of jockey anxiety when Bayern came rolling down the stretch in isolated splendor, but at this point, Candy Boy is more advanced and battle tested in classy company. But only Bob Baffert knows how Bayern stacks up against Chitu, who was narrowly beaten by Candy Boy in the Lewis. It’s still a long way off, but it’s always intriguing to ponder the choice: The proven, classy stakes horse or the unproven dynamo who could be something special? Gary Stevens just has to hope he doesn’t land on any more gifted 3-year-olds (that was a joke).

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/kentucky-derby-dozen/archive/2014/02/18/derby-dozen-february-17-2014-presented-by-shadwell-farm.aspx#ixzz2thpTTctn
  • Candy Boy
    TRAINER: J. Sadler
    JOCKEY: G. Stevens
    LAST START: Robert Lewis 1-½
    NEXT START: Santa Anita Derby 4/5
    COMMENT: Has won two of last three, including easy score in Lewis.
    POOL 2 ODDS: 32-1

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more-sports/kentucky-derby-rankings-strong-mandate-lurking-behind-candy-boy-article-1.1617241#ixzz2thxdijSK
  • Shared Belief
    TRAINER: J. Hollendorfer
    JOCKEY: C. Nakatani
    LAST START: CashCall Futurity 1-5¾
    NEXT START: San Felipe 3/8
    COMMENT: Champ hasn’t worked since Jan. 3; falling behind.
    POOL 2 ODDS: 14-1

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more-sports/kentucky-derby-rankings-strong-mandate-lurking-behind-candy-boy-article-1.1617241#ixzz2thydEXki
  • From Jim Rome's (part owner of Shared Belief's facebook: Saw Shared Belief today. He's training and we're considering potential races. He looks great. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151974427897514
  • Candy Boy is #4 on this weeks Derby Dozen List: Candy Boy John Sadler

As of Monday afternoon, still waiting for him to return to the work tab, as it’s been 16 days since the Robert Lewis. Sadler and CRK Stable have quite a 1-2 punch with Kobe’s Back. But at this point, Candy’s boy is the more proven of the two around two turns. The competition in California has not been as stiff nor as deep as the competition in Florida, Louisiana, and Arkansas, so it is important for these horses to mix it up in a big field. He showed what we he can do in a big field in the CashCall Futurity, so that experience will help him, but the small 3-year-old fields are not going to help in preparing a horse for the Derby cavalry charge.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/kentucky-derby-dozen/archive/2014/02/24/derby-dozen-february-24-2014-presented-by-shadwell-farm.aspx#ixzz2uHJYG3tE
  • Shared Belief
    Kentucky Derby points: 0
    2014 credentials: None

Speaking of caution, we move to last year's champion 2-year-old male, who has been set back by a foot ailment and has yet to race as a 3-year-old. Jerry Hollendorfer has shipped him to Golden Gate to train, and as a gelding, Shared Belief is not necessarily under pressure to make the Derby. However, if he gets past his problems and starts running like he can, he becomes one of the top 3-year-olds not just on the West Coast, but in the entire country. Because of that, he stays on my list...for now
  • Candy Boy
    Kentucky Derby points: 10 (T-13th)
    2014 credentials: 1st in Robert B. Lewis

With his win in the Lewis, Candy Boy moved to the head of the West Coast class. In that victory, he did everything one would want to see a Derby hopeful do. He rated, he pounced when asked by a Hall of Fame rider, he defeated several strong horses, and he galloped out well. My lone concern is Sadler possibly waiting for the Santa Anita Derby, which leaves no room for a back-up plan in case something goes wrong that day. However, with how he ran in the Lewis, Candy Boy is currently my top pick.
  • Handmade (Candy Ride - Hand Crafted, by Mineshaft) Neil Howard – With all eyes on the full sister of Rachel Alexandra, Samantha Nicole, making her career debut, few noticed this Farish homebred who was coming off a solid second place finish in her second career start. They noticed after she won in a romp. She looks to me like a filly eligible to keep getting better, and also appreciate the nine furlongs of the Oaks.
  • Shared Belief | J. Hollendorfer | C. Nakatani | Jungle Racing Candy Ride - Common Hope by Storm Cat Last: G1 Cash Call Futurity - 1st Next: Undecided

Based on his closing odds in the KDFW Pool 3, some might argue that Shared Belief is trending. I give a lot of credit to his fans and those that played him but I’ll admit it; I was shocked to see him close at 15-1. Those odds made him the 5th individual choice behind Cairo Prince, Honor Code, Top Billing and Candy Boy and better than 18 other individual horses.

The Juvenile champion and Eclipse Award winner has made it back to Golden Gate where training is scheduled to resume. However, since his quarter crack no official work has been registered making his 5F work on January 3 his only one in 2014. I do not doubt what this horse is made of and how good he may become but I can’t yet describe his Kentucky Derby chances any other way. There’s a long way to go with very little time so I doubt we’ll get to see him make a bid for the roses.
  • They should put any Derby hopes on the shelf. He's a gelding; get him fully sound, achieve some modest goals, perhaps a Breeder's Cup start in the Fall. Then, a four year old campaign. Take it easy on him; a sustained, healthy career should be what they are after. Like the Dude, or Dan. Give the fans something to hold on to.
  • They should put any Derby hopes on the shelf. He's a gelding; get him fully sound, achieve some modest goals, perhaps a Breeder's Cup start in the Fall. Then, a four year old campaign. Take it easy on him; a sustained, healthy career should be what they are after. Like the Dude, or Dan. Give the fans something to hold on to.
  • I don't know why that posted twice. I was talking about SB. I'm watching the Oscars and drinking wine, so that could explain the oops!
  • Candy Boy is #4 on this weeks Derby Dozen list: Candy Boy John Sadler

Lost a little time after the Robert Lewis (gr. II), but finally returned to the work tab with a solid half-mile in :48 1/5 breezing, as he awaits the Santa Anita Derby (gr. I). Another going into his final Derby prep off a layoff and only two starts, which is becoming a trend this year. Same connections as San Vicente (gr. II) winner Kobe’s Back, who will stretch out and try to catch up to his stablemate by Santa Anita Derby time. What hurts is that Shared Belief annihilated both Candy Boy and Kobe’s Back. Sadler also has Sham Stakes runner-up Kristo working sharply for the San Felipe March 8. So, like Cairo Prince earlier this year, nothing to do but sit back wait for him to show up again. Right now, his resume says he’s still pretty much a guess, as we have no idea how good Chitu is or whether Midnight Hawk can bounce back.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/kentucky-derby-dozen/archive/2014/03/03/derby-dozen-march-3-2014-presented-by-shadwell-farm.aspx#ixzz2uwA0dsLV
  • Candy Boy (Candy Ride - She’s An Eleven, by In Excess) John Sadler – I was looking forward to seeing the fifty something, Gary Stevens, in the saddle of this one at Churchill Downs, but now I am not so sure. It seems that the Hall of Famer is pretty smitten with the up and comer, Bayern. That’s OK, he’s allowed to be excited about a young horse that wins by 15. I just think that when things all shake out, this is the one that will give him a much better shot to win at ten furlongs. The powerful son of Candy Ride tipped off what he could become, with an explosive backstretch move in December’s CashCall Futurity when second to Shared Belief, and then he displayed a much more professional look with a methodical win in the Robert B. Lewis. I look forward to seeing more of the same in the nine furlong Santa Anita Derby, and I’m convinced that distance will prove to be no problem for Candy Boy when he heads East.
  • Candy Boy is #4 on this weeks Derby Dozen list: Candy Boy John Sadler

It’s a good thing he’s unable to watch TV, because the San Felipe certainly wouldn’t have done much to boost his confidence for his upcoming clash with California Chrome in the Santa Anita Derby (gr. I). He continued his steady works with a 5-furlong drill in 1:01 1/5. Like Cairo Prince and Honor Code and so many others, he’ll have only two Kentucky Derby preps, but at least he has a strong 2-year-old foundation. Sorry to say, at this point, I just don’t see much competition for the big two in California other than perhaps Chitu, who ran lights out against Candy Boy in the Lewis. I can’t see Baffert subjecting the lightly raced Bayern to a clash against these two and then trying to make the Kentucky Derby off only three career starts. So, right now, the pickins are pretty slim out there.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/kentucky-derby-dozen/archive/2014/03/10/derby-dozen-march-10-2014-presented-by-shadwell-farm.aspx#ixzz2vb58A3K4
  • Shared Belief – grabbed a quarter in 2013, worked once in January. Moved to Golden Gate and reported to be galloping, but trainer Hollendorfer announced that the horse won’t contest the Spiral.
  • Shared Belief – grabbed a quarter in 2013, worked once in January. Moved to Golden Gate and reported to be galloping, but trainer Hollendorfer announced that the horse won’t contest the Spiral.
    JH said he never had SB on the Derby trail, the media did. Say what? Okay. Thanks for finally telling us. Now JH is saying he will concentrate on Tamerando for the Derby. Okay..…