Candy Ride

Comments

• Shared Belief – grabbed a quarter in 2013, worked once in January. Moved to Golden Gate and reported to be galloping, but trainer Hollendorfer announced that the horse won’t contest the Spiral.

JH said he never had SB on the Derby trail, the media did. Say what? Okay. Thanks for finally telling us. Now JH is saying he will concentrate on Tamerando for the Derby. Okay..…
    Shared Belief – grabbed a quarter in 2013, worked once in January. Moved to Golden Gate and reported to be galloping, but trainer Hollendorfer announced that the horse won’t contest the Spiral.

JH said he never had SB on the Derby trail, the media did. Say what? Okay. Thanks for finally telling us. Now JH is saying he will concentrate on Tamerando for the Derby. Okay..…
    @Kayjay I'm not sure I believe him?? If he didn't have him aiming for the Derby why was he going to run him in a Derby prep?
  • @QueenZfan20, My question exactly. And why not say so months ago?
  • @KayJay probably because he was getting attention because of the horse. I mean you have a horse who was last years 2 year old champion male you will do anything to keep them/yourself in the spotlight.
  • Candy Boy (last ranked: 1st)
    Kentucky Derby points: 10 (T-22nd)
    2014 credentials: 1st in Robert B. Lewis

Candy Boy hasn't run since the Lewis, and he's being pointed to the Santa Anita Derby. This strategy has risks, as if he bounces or doesn't run well off the layoff, he probably misses out on the Kentucky Derby. However, if he repeats his showing in the Lewis, where he showed a lot of maturity in beating Chitu and Midnight Hawk, he'll be very dangerous in California's traditional springboard to the first Saturday in May.
  • Candy Boy - TVG 2014 Kentucky Derby Profile:
  • Candy Boy is #4 on this weeks Derby Dozen list: Candy Boy John Sadler

Candy Ride—She’s an Eleven, by In Excess

He will attempt to retake sole possession of the No. 1 spot as California’s leading Derby contender when he squares off against rising star California Chrome in the Santa Anita Derby (gr. I). He couldn’t be any sharper, drilling 5 furlongs in :59 2/5, second fastest of 40 works at the distance. The long-range guess is that we’re looking at a short field, which means strategy will play a major part in the outcome. He runs like a horse who wants more distance, but with Candy Ride and In Excess you can never be sure what you’re going to get. Both, however, are track record holders at 1 1/4 miles (at Del Mar and Belmont, respectively, and in grade I races)). They can sire horses who are best at one turn and others who can stretch out. With Candy Boy’s tail-female family tracing to Flying Paster and Nijinsky II, there should be enough stamina to carry him classic distances.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/kentucky-derby-dozen/archive/2014/03/17/derby-dozen-march-17-2014-presented-by-shadwell-farm.aspx#ixzz2wG1mDpNV
  • Candy Boy (Candy Ride - She’s An Eleven, by In Excess) John Sadler – The Santa Anita Derby could be a real showdown if we get to see this one against the San Felipe star, California Chrome. The good looking son of Candy Ride continues to blossom since his late-running victory in the Robert B. Lewis, if his recent workouts are any indication. Getting back to that Lewis win, he looked like a Cadillac rolling down the stretch that day in his second start under Gary Stevens. He was professional and powerful. Stevens found all the right buttons to push to find his impressive cruise control. This was exactly what I wanted to see after flashing all kinds of mistimed talent in the CashCall Futurity. I have long thought that this one has the look and physicality of a horse who could run all day, so I suspect that the nine furlongs of the Santa Anita Derby will only help him, and more importantly, so will that tenth furlong of the 2014 Kentucky Derby. All he needs to do in his final prep is show me more of the same from the last one, for me to like his chances as the most likely horse to wear the roses.
  • Candy Boy is #4 in this weeks Derby Dozen List: Candy Boy John Sadler

He’s in a similar situation as Cairo Prince, coming off a rest and being thrown in against some very fast horses. He turned in a solid 6-furlong work in 1:12 4/5 in company and wasn’t messing around, coming inside his workmate turning for him and being pushed along pretty good down the stretch. His last two races were that crazy-run CashCall Futurity, when he made a huge premature move early, going from 10th to first, and the Robert Lewis, when he came charging late to run down Chitu, so there is still an unknown factor to him and we really don’t have a handle on him yet, as to how he wants to run and how good a horse he is. He seems to have all the tools, and is a powerful physical specimen. Unlike California Chrome, he would seem to need a good stiff race in the Santa Anita Derby to set him up for Kentucky, and off that last work, he’ll be ready for it.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/kentucky-derby-dozen/archive/2014/03/24/derby-dozen-march-24-2014-presented-by-shadwell-farm.aspx#ixzz2wv38RFFM
  • Is the name for Tasty Temptation's colt by Candy Ride in the Online Names Book?
  • Is the name for Tasty Temptation's colt by Candy Ride in the Online Names Book?
    I believe his name is I'myoursugardaddy?
  • Yup thats the awful name

I believe his name is I'myoursugardaddy?
    Ok, that explains why I couldn't find it....forgot it was I'myour.....thought it was You'remy

And, yikes! Here it is: SEARCH RESULTS I'myoursugardaddy (2012)
  • Hollendorfer pleased with Shared Belief's progress: http://www.drf.com/news/hollendorfer-pleased-shared-beliefs-progress
  • Candy Boy is #3 on this weeks Derby Dozen list: Candy Boy John Sadler

Yes, my top three choices are running in the Santa Anita Derby, so something’s gotta give. He continues to train sharply for the race, working 6 furlongs in 1:11 4/5. He is in a very similar situation as Cairo Prince, not having run since Feb. 8 and desperately needing points, with only 10. So, unlike California Chrome and Hoppertunity, he needs a tough race and needs to finish at least third, preferably first or second. Despite the competition, there is no reason why he shouldn’t, as he is another who is improving rapidly and at the right time. And he’s a big strapping colt who can recover from a tough race, as Silver Charm did in his Santa Anita Derby slugfest. He’s also versatile enough to handle any kind of scenario. He showed in the CashCall Futurity you can move on him early in the race and he’s going to deliver a big run, and he showed in the Robert Lewis you can wait until the stretch to ask him and he’ll deliver there as well, running down a fast, classy horse in Chitu. And he has Gary Stevens, who can get as much out of a horse as anyone.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/kentucky-derby-dozen/archive/2014/03/31/derby-dozen-march-31-2014-presented-by-shadwell-farm.aspx#ixzz2xZpy1UK2
  • The Mosses will have Honey Ride (Candy Ride x Tarlow) running on Saturday April 5th in the Santa Anita Oaks. She will be ridden by Tyler Baze and is trained by John Sadler,
  • Trainer Mark Glatt on Big Tire: “He runs hard every time and he’s getting better with each race. I don’t think we’ve seen his best yet. It’s a competitive field but he has a chance to hit the board, and the distance should be beneficial.”

Trainer John Sadler on Candy Ride, sire of Candy Boy and Big Tire: “Candy Ride gets a lot of nice horses, there’s no question about that. They come in all shapes and sizes. I’ve had lots of different ones. They’re all good; he’s a good sire.”
  • Ashley: Big Tire — Moved from the turf to the main track, Big Tire turned in a series of better finishes, finally get that elusive first victory in his last start. In doing so, he beat fellow Derby entrants Rprettyboyfloyd and Dublin Up to the wire, giving us three shots of seeing if Race 2 from Santa Anita on March 7 will end up being a “key race.” His pedigree indicates that more distance might be the ticket, but again, there are more questions than answers at this point. Consider for exotic use.

Laurie: BIG TIRE (Candy Ride (ARG) - Giant's Firestone, by Giant's Causeway) finally won his maiden in his sixth lifetime start. He’s obviously a late maturing colt, so how about rolling Big Tire into a nice allowance race. His dam was 0-9 in her career and the trainer is 0-19 in graded stakes. I’ll stick with the other son of Candy Ride. Pass
  • Ashley: CANDY BOY — I’ve been high on this one for some time now. He’s a colt that I think will appreciate the classic distances, and he has a good running style that has him involved with the race but not getting cooked by early speed. With the savvy Gary Stevens aboard again, he’ll get a good trip. His speed figures have been steadily improving, but the time span between his last start and this one is a bit concerning. However, he’s been training like a monster, and I trust that Sadler will have him ready to go as this is a must win situation. At the very least, Candy Boy needs to run second to have any hope of making it to Kentucky. Contender.

Laurie: CANDY BOY(Candy Ride (ARG) - She's an Eleven, by In Excess) was three wide and gaining at the 1/8 pole in the Robert Lewis. He conquered Chitu by a measured ½ length in a typical confident ride by Gary Stevens. Candy Boy’s speed figures improve in every race and that’s pretty rare. His sire gave us 2010 Santa Anita Derby winner Sidney’s Candy and 2009 runner-up Chocolate Candy, but damsire In Excess imparts speed to his offspring. He’s the damsire of only one stakes winner at 1 1/8 miles. Candy Boy could become the second. Candy Boy and his stakes winning dam own the only blacktype in two generations, although Test Stakes (G-1) heroine Leave Me Alone is part of this distaff family. Ashley and I are both sweet on this colt and the right ride could have the rest looking like suckers. Read his pedigree profile here. Contender.
  • Candy Boy – I was very high on Candy Boy entering this race. He looked impressive after winning the Robert B. Lewis and was on my radar as Kentucky Derby contender off that victory. While he was impressive that day, it has to be said he received a dream trip tucked inside behind the pace stalking and in a perfect spot to pounce. In hindsight, I feel I may have given him too much credit after the Lewis. In this race, he broke well, and like California Chrome, he was in tight at the start but recovered well to go up and press the pace while three wide into the first turn. Down the backstretch he received a perfect trip pressing the pace and loomed a major threat to win, it seemed. Rounding the turn though as California Chrome spurted away, and Gary Stevens started asking for his run, you just knew he was in big trouble. He proved no match for the top pair and had no excuse I saw. I am torn on him moving forward. On one hand, its only one race and maybe he needed one off the layoff. On the other hand, I was not impressed at all with this performance and maybe he wants no part of the distance. I think I am going to play it like this. If Stevens has another option for a Derby mount and he sticks here I will be more forgiving of this performance. But if he chooses the other charge, I will stay away. If I am not afforded that luxury I will see how he works up to the Derby and try to form a more solid opinion, but my gut is telling me I may have overvalued him to begin with. I am leaning towards limiting his use to underneath if at all in the Derby.
  • ROAD TO THE KENTUCKY DERBY POINT STANDINGS
    through Apr. 12, 2014
    Horse (Sire) Points
    1 California Chrome (Lucky Pulpit) 150
    2 Vicar’s in Trouble (Into Mischief) 120
    3 Dance With Fate (Two Step Salsa) 108
    4 Wicked Strong (Hard Spun) 102
    5 Samraat (Noble Causeway) 100
    6 Danza (Street Boss) 100
    7 Constitution (Tapit) 100
    8 Hoppertunity (Any Given Saturday) 95
    9 Intense Holiday (Harlan’s Holiday) 93
    10 Wildcat Red (D’wildcat) 90
    11 We Miss Artie (Artie Schiller) 60
    12 Ride On Curlin (Curlin) 55
    13 Chitu (Henny Hughes) 54
    14 Tapiture (Tapit) 52
    15 Midnight Hawk (Midnight Lute) 52
    16 Ring Weekend (Tapit) 50
    17 General a Rod (Roman Ruler) 40
    18 Medal Count (Dynaformer) 40
    19 Candy Boy (Candy Ride {Arg}) 30
    20 Cairo Prince (Pioneerof the Nile) 24
    -------------------------------------------------------
    21 Uncle Sigh (Indian Charlie) 24
    22 Vinceremos (Pioneerof the Nile) 20
    23 Harry’s Holiday (Harlan’s Holiday) 20
    24 Commanding Curve (Master Command) 20
    25 Pablo Del Monte (Giant’s Causeway) 20
    26 Bayern (Offlee Wild) 20
    27 Social Inclusion (Harlan’s Holiday) 20
  • Candy Boy is #11 on this weeks Derby Dozen list: Candy Boy John Sadler

He is back on the list now that it looks like he, too, doesn’t have to worry about points. Although he’s still dangerous, it’s difficult to get as excited about him as one did before the Santa Anita Derby. Like Cairo Prince, he looked to come up short off a layoff, but he lacked any punch from the quarter pole home and had Hoppertunity pull away from him while under restraint the entire length of the stretch. Should he improve off this effort? He should, but can he improve enough to be a factor in the Derby? He would need quite a form reversal. I do like the fact that he’ll have a work at Churchill Downs and I’m still partial to horses that do, only to get a true feel of the track and how they will handle it in work conditions. Other California horses have shipped in Derby week and won the race without working over the track, but Giacomo did it in a bizarre year when all the favorites peaked the race before the Derby and I’ll Have Another’s gallops were as close to actual works as you can get. So, we’ll just wait and see if he makes a great impression once he gets to Kentucky.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/kentucky-derby-dozen/archive/2014/04/14/derby-dozen-april-14-2014-presented-by-shadwell-farm.aspx#ixzz2ytt66Vuz
  • Candy Boy (30) (Jockey: Gary Stevens)