Candy Ride

Comments

• Kentucky Derby 140: Backside Buzz with Jill Bryne 4.23.14:
  • I remember last year it was posted the same way about War Front and it turned out to be true....but I'm skeptical too. I'll wait for more info. I guess we'll just have to wait and see!!!
  • Kentucky Derby 140: Backside Buzz with Jill Byrne 4.25.14:
  • CANDY BOY (No. 17) – Trainer John Sadler had C R K Stable’s Candy Boy on the track shortly after 6 o’clock Friday for a 1 ½-mile gallop under exercise rider Jelani Grant.

“I thought the track was excellent early because it was harrowed and not sealed,” Sadler said of the conditions following light showers overnight. “He galloped a little stronger today leading up to his work tomorrow.”

Jockey Gary Stevens is scheduled to work Candy Boy after the break Saturday.
  • Candy Boy - Forget about tracking California Chrome like he did in Santa Anita, Stevens and Candy Boy need to run their race. Like Hoppertunity, a mid-pack position will be a good spot, but unlike that one he may possess a stronger turn of foot. Stevens will need to be patient, and if the fast pace materializes, a burst on the far turn could put him in great position to prove ten furlongs is well within his scope
  • Candy Boy (jockey Gary Stevens up, outside) w/ Monument 5F 1:00 4/5. Started 4-5 back. Splits :12 2/5, :24 2/5, :36 1/5. Out 1:13 4/5. Monument 5F in 1:03.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/84610/busy-saturday-for-derby-oaks-horses#ixzz301bt1Hqh
  • Kentucky Derby 140: Backside Buzz with Jill Byrne:
  • As for this morning’s works at Churchill, the standouts were Candy Boy’s five-furlong work in company in 1:00 4/5 and Medal Count’s five-panel drill in 1:00 1/5. Candy Boy took to the surface and was striding out beautifully. What really stood out was his gallop-out, as he went out another eighth in :13 flat.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/horse-racing-steve-haskin/archive/2014/04/26/haskin-derby-report-let-the-works-begin.aspx#ixzz301ka6dUW
  • CANDY BOY (No. 17) – The California-based Candy Boy put in his final drill in front of Kentucky Derby 140 Saturday morning as his owners -- Lee and Susan Searing of C R K Stable -- and trainer John Sadler looked on from the Churchill grandstand.

The bay son of Candy Ride had Hall of Fame rider Gary Stevens attached and they spotted workmate Monument -- a 5-year-old stakes winner also owned by the Searings -- three lengths at the five-furlong marker on a sunny Kentucky morning. Racing wide, Candy Boy caught up with his mate in the stretch and finished a length to the good at the wire in a time of 1:00.80.

Clockers assigned splits of :12.60, :24.40 and :36.40 along the way and added on a gallop-out time of 1:13.80. The five-eighths move was the fifth fastest of 68 at the distance.

Stevens, who jumped off Candy Boy back at Barn 43 and right on to champion filly She's a Tiger for her Eight Belles (GIII) exercise, gave a big smile when he was asked how Candy Boy went. "Nice," was how the 51-year-old rider succinctly summed it up.

Sadler, who has three other runners with him in his California contingent and another on the way, was pleased with "his final Derby drill."

"I thought it went nice and smooth," the trainer said to a band of media types who gathered at his barn. "We wanted to get this one out of the way and allow him a feel for this track. Both got done. This track is probably a bit looser than we're used to in California so I wanted him to go over it."

Candy Boy has been a very steady sort to date in his seven-race career, hitting the board every time, including a pair of wins and more than $400,000 in earnings.

"He might have been a little short last time," Sadler noted, referring to his third-place finish behind likely Kentucky Derby favorite California Chrome in the Santa Anita Derby (GI) April 5. "He'd been off for two months. We're looking forward to running him that mile and a quarter and you'll see a different style this time.

“Last time we had him up closer at the beginning, but this time we're going to be a little farther back in the early part. We think he can run steadily all the way for the longer trip.”

Stevens, who has been aboard the homebred colt for his past three starts -- a first, second and third in stakes company -- has been in Kentucky since last Monday, but will jet back to California for a riding assignment at Santa Anita Sunday.

He'll return to Kentucky Monday and will stay through Derby Day for a series of stakes engagements, including the call on Candy Boy, of course.
  • Candyboy - 4/26/2014:
  • QueenZFan20QueenZFan20 Member
    edited April 2014
  • CANDY BOY (No. 16) – It was a quiet Sunday morning at Barn 43 for Kentucky Derby starter Candy Boy. After having worked five furlongs in 1:00.80 the day before, the bay colt simply walked the shedrow, then took some pleasure in a soap and water bath.

“He’s doing fine,” said trainer John Sadler, who has handled the C R K Stable homebred since he came to the racetrack last spring and guided him through a solid seven-race campaign that has him ready for a try at the roses next Saturday.

Candy Boy, a son of the Argentinian transplant Candy Ride, will be handled by Hall of Famer Gary Stevens in Kentucky Derby 140. His trainer indicated that he’d return to galloping Monday morning and continue on that path up until the race.
  • Candy Boy

Regular readers of this blog know that I have been fond of Candy Boy for a while, but my confidence in him has greatly increased during the last couple of days. Yes, he was soundly beaten by California Chrome and Hoppertunity in the Santa Anita Derby, but events conspired against him that day. The colt was asked to race much closer to the early lead than usual in an attempt to take advantage of a speed-favoring track, and the result was a wide trip and a tiring third-place finish in his first start since early February. Reports are that Candy’s Boy recent workout at Churchill Downs was exceptional, and trainer John Sadler has confirmed that Candy Boy will be rated further off-the-pace in the Derby. The results of this decision could prove dramatic—just watch the replay of Candy Boy’s runner-up finish in last year’s CashCall Futurity (gr. I). The best part of all is that Candy Boy may very well be 20-1 in the Derby, a spectacular price given his race record.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/unlocking-winners-handicapping/archive/2014/04/28/three-derby-longshots-to-consider.aspx##ixzz30FBE7FQG
  • Kentucky Oaks 140: Backside Buzz with Jill Byrne 4.29.14:
  • One of the gallopers who stood out this morning is a horse who I believe is going to be totally forgotten by the bettors and that is Candy Boy. I was impressed with his work in company the other day under Gary Stevens and how he accelerated taking off after his workmate, and also how he finished up. He’s a powerfully built colt, who was dead short in the Santa Anita Derby, in a race scenario not to his liking. Most feel as if he has too much to do to make up nearly nine lengths on California Chrome, but he does get a much better pace setup and has a race under him, and the Santa Anita Derby was not unlike 1996 when Snow Chief ran off and hid from Ferdinand, who also finished a well-beaten third. At this point at least, he’s an intriguing longshot possibility who should definitely love the mile and a quarter.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/horse-racing-steve-haskin/archive/2014/04/29/haskin-s-derby-report-general-on-the-attack.aspx#ixzz30JTEQwzi
  • Longines Kentucky Oaks 140: Backside Buzz with Jill Byrne 4.30.14:
  • Kentucky Derby 140: Backside Buzz with Jill Byrne 4.30.14:
  • Candy Boy had a similarly professional profile in his baby days at Foxtale. The Nicholasville, Kentucky, farm raised the colt for owner/breeders Lee and Susan Searing.

"He was always straightforward to be around, and good to be around," Foxtale's Dermot Joyce said. "Nothing dramatic about him."

Candy Boy saved his brief bit of drama for when he was shipped to Legacy Ranch, near Clements, California, to be broken and learn his early lessons.

"Our place is probably six hours from the airport," ranch manager Shaun Hadley said, "and they hauled him up here, and he seemed to be OK, but they said he hadn't drank much.

"Within two days, he colicked, and we had to take him over, and they opened him up. They didn't take any intestine out, but he had a blockage. He was dehydrated. So we got him over that."

After Candy Boy recovered fully and got into training, Hadley soon realized what he had on his hands.

"For Lee and them, I work them a few times, slow quarter-miles. And about the third time I worked him, he just looked like he was galloping around there. He went a quarter in :23 and galloped out (three furlongs) in :36 flat.

"He's the best horse I've ever had here," Hadley said. "He didn't look like he got off a gallop."

Joyce is expecting a big performance from Candy Boy on Saturday.

"I'd be surprised if he's not in the first four," Joyce said.
  • For the second place, things get a bit tricky. After giving it some thought, the horses I’ve settled on using—much to my own surprise!—are Medal Count and Candy Boy, both of which I discussed as potential live longshots in my last blog post. According to reports, Medal Count has made a very positive impression while training at Churchill Downs, and seems to be handling the track very, very well—which is important, given that his record on dirt is only so-so. Some may be concerned by the fact that the Derby will be his third race in four weeks, but he seems to be thriving on his busy schedule, and is bred to run all day. Candy Boy has also trained strongly at Churchill, and as I mentioned in my last post, he should get a much better pace setup this Saturday than he did in the Santa Anita Derby. I wasn’t thrilled by his post position assignment (he will break from gate seventeen following the scratch of Hoppertunity), but hopefully, jockey Gary Stevens will be able to guide Candy Boy into a ground-saving position about eight or ten lengths off the early lead. From there, I think Candy Boy has a great shot to finish up strongly and secure a top-three finish.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/unlocking-winners-handicapping/archive/2014/05/01/kentucky-derby-140-selections.aspx#ixzz30WA3x7tR