Candy Ride

Comments

• 10th - #18 – Candy Boy
    Trainer / Jockey (Derby Mounts W-P-S): John Sadler / Gary Stevens (19 3-2-1)
    Running Style: Closer
    Why he COULD win the Derby: Has the pedigree to get the Derby distance as his sire (Candy Boy) won at 1¼ miles in the Pacific Classic. Will be piloted by a jockey who relishes another chance to win a Derby after coming out of a 7-year retirement last spring.
    Why he SHOULD NOT be able to win the Derby: Disappointing run in the Santa Anita Derby after a 2 month layoff. His only/final workout at CD was well received by the “experts”, but I didn’t see it has Stevens needed to “encourage” him to keep up the pace through the lane. Didn’t get the post (in first gate) that his trainer wanted.
    Early Betting Odds : 16-1 compared to Morning Line Odds: 20-1
  • Candy Boy is a big, strong, good looking horse. Poor Candy Boy, though ... He had no idea what was in store for him on the first turn. http://c482943.r43.cf2.rackcdn.com/Candy Boy walkover.jpg
  • Disappointed trainer John Sadler said there's a "slight chance" Candy Boy could run in the Preakness after an eventful journey in the Derby under Gary Stevens resulted in a 13th-place finish.

"I'm going to talk to the owners (Lee and Susan Searing) for their feedback on what's next," Sadler said. "I'm fairly certain he's coming back to California (Monday). I'd say about 90% sure. There's a slight chance we'd consider Baltimore, but only a slight one."

• CANDY BOY (13th) – The 13th-place finisher in Kentucky Derby 140, Candy Boy, had a quiet morning at Barn 43 following his eventful run in the mile and one-quarter classic. Rider Gary Stevens snatched the dark colt and wheeled to the outside heading into the first turn when he found himself in a squeeze between horses, then never got a chance to be a threatening element in the race.

“He appears to be fine this morning,” trainer John Sadler reported, with just a touch of frustration in his voice. The conditioner had expected a much better effort from his charge, but knew well he’d have to live with the outcome.

“I’m going to talk to the owners (Lee and Susan Searing) for their feedback on what’s next,” he said. “I’m fairly certain he’s coming back to California. I’d say about 90% sure. There’s a slight chance we’d consider Baltimore (and the Preakness Stakes), but only a slight one.”

Sadler will return to his large stable at Santa Anita today. Should the decision be to return Candy Boy to California, the trainer had a Monday flight option for him.
  • Candy Boy—Jockey Gary Stevens summed up Candy Boy’s Derby experience nicely, making no bones about just who set off the chain reaction of bad racing luck. “I had a horrible trip. On the first turn Rajiv Maragh came over on Wicked Strong and shut me off. Then he shut [Corey] Nakatani off, causing me to steady again. We’re both lucky we didn’t fall. We need to take care of the horse and rider,” he said. Call Stevens classless for telling it how it was if you like, but it’s not like Maragh didn’t already have a history of reckless riding in big races. Go back and watch his ride aboard Isn’t He Perfect in the 2011 Belmont Stakes if you need proof. I honestly thought Candy Boy was one of the top contenders in this race, but after his trip, I don’t really blame him for losing interest.
  • Shared Belief (3-Year-Old Gelding)

Date: May 3, 2014
    Track: GOLDEN GATE FIELDS
    Distance: Four Furlongs
    Time: 48:00 Handily

Track Condition: Fast
    Surface: All Weather Track

• Shared Belief (3-Year-Old Gelding)

Date: May 8, 2014
    Track: GOLDEN GATE FIELDS
    Distance: Five Furlongs
    Time: 1.00:80 Handily
    Track Condition: Fast
    Surface: All Weather Track
  • Daily Racing Form @DRFInsidePost
    Champion Shared Belief could make 2014 debut within a month: http://bit.ly/1uKvDNx
  • Jay Privman @DRFPrivman
    Candy Boy, troubled trip 13th in Derby, "under consideration" for Belmont, per trainer John Sadler. Went back to SA after Derby. #Belmont
  • Clubhouse Ride is running May 31st in the Stakes. He will be ridden by Joseph Talamo. He is trained by Craig Anthony Lewis and owned by Six-S Racing Stable and Nikolas Petralia.
  • Ride N'Reel is entered June 5th in race 3 a 4 1/2 furlong maiden special weight for two year olds at Churchill Downs. He will be ridden by Shaun Bridgmohan. He is trained by Steve Asmussen and owned by Whispering Oaks Farm LLC.
  • Big Tire is running June 7th in the Affirmed Stakes at Santa Anita. He will be ridden by Fernando Hernandez Perez. He is trained by Mark Glatt and owned by Donkey Island Racing LLC, and Halo Farms.
  • QueenZFan22QueenZFan22 Member
    edited June 2014
    Stachys is running in the Brooks Fields Stakes at Canterbury Park. He will be ridden by Eddie Martin Jr. He is trained by Micheal Biehler and owned by Al and Bill Ulwelling
  • Yankee Candy is running June 7th in the La Verendrye Stakes at Assiniboia. She will be ridden by Tyrone Nelson. She is trained and owned by Guy Kling.
  • Handmade is running June 14th in the Regret Stakes. She will be ridden by Robby Albarado. She is trained by Neil Howard and owned by W.S. Farish.
  • Sweet Luca is running June 21st in the Black Tie Affair Handicap at Arlington. He will be ridden by Eduardo Perez. He is trained by Chris Block and owned by Fortino Inc.
  • Kitten Candy is running June 21st in the Ontario Jockey Club Stakes at Woodbine. He will be ridden by Patrick Husbands. He is trained by Robert Tiller and owned by Frank Di Giulio Jr.
  • QueenZFan22QueenZFan22 Member
    edited June 2014
    Simply Confection is running June 22nd in a 4 1/2 furlong maiden special weight for fillies at Churchill Downs. She will be ridden by Stewart Elliott, She is trained by William Fires and owned by Xpress Thoroughbreds.
  • Ride N' Reel is running June 26th in a maiden special weight for 2 year olds going 4 1/2 furlongs at Churchill Downs. He will be ridden by Ricardo Santana Jr. He is trained by Steve Asmussen and owned by Whispering Oaks Farm LLC.
  • Clubhouse Ride is running June 28th in the God Cup. He will be ridden by Joe Talamo. He is trained by Craig Lewis and owned by Six-S Racing sand Petralia.
  • Sweet Dreams is running June 28th in the My Dear Stakes. She will be ridden by Eurico Rosa Da Silva. She is trained by Gail Cox and owned by John Menary and Gail Cox.