Careless Jewel

edited February 2014 in General Interest
This has probably already been discussed in other forum topics but I thought that we could set aside her own personal topic for the young lady. As some of you may well know, Careless Jewel's foal had to be euthanized after its' leg became lodged in Careless Jewel's pelvis. The final contraction Careless Jewel emitted forced the foal's leg to dislodge, breaking its' femur in the process. As for Careless Jewel herself, she is currently in the ICU after undergoing surgery. Most recent news here:

Comments

• Sending out prayers for Careless Jewel's quick recovery. My deepest sympathy for the loss of her foal to her connections. RIP little one. :, (
  • Yes, we have this under the 2014 foals topic. She does deserve a special place and I feel terrible for her. What a horrible situation for all involved during the foaling, just a nightmare. As VA_in_CA said about it on the other thread, it is a reminder of how things can go so wrong. Of course, I feel so bad for Careless Jewel and the foal, but I can imagine how frightening and awful it must have been for the people helping with the foaling. We have to be thankful for the easy births and happy outcomes and not take it for granted. I sure hope Careless Jewel can recover well. Does anyone know what kind of surgery she had? I hope not a situation like Rachel.
  • @Keta , do you have any updates?
  • Any news on Careless Jewel ? hope she's doing better my thoughts are with the vets and the owners!
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    I read an account on fb that said foal born no heartbeat and not breathing...got CPR...femur fracture discovered after transport to equine hospital with his mom.....very difficult birth due to distocia (spell?)...foals fracture termed "shattered" and "non-reparable"....sounds awful
  • the pain that foal must of been in too
  • My heart goes out to Careless Jewel. And so sad about the foal. Heartbreaking.
  • We can hope his nervous system wasn't fully developed yet. And for some of the time he was unresponsive, no heartbeat or respiration, so hopefully not too much pain. I'm really hoping Crown Jewel recovers. So unfortunate the way it went.
  • This must have been so devastating to the people with her for the foaling. What a helpless feeling when the foal is basically stuck, so scary! I still wish we knew what sort of surgery Careless Jewel had to have. It is all heartbreaking.
  • Found this info about dystocia labor in mares.

http://www.emcocala.com/Fetal Malposture and Dystocia.html
  • VA_in_CAVA_in_CA Member
    edited February 2014
    Here is a more detailed info article. It's for miniature horses, but the similarities are close enough. Very informative.

http://www.norsirefarms.com/dystocia.htm

• Kaitlin Free ‏@kaitlinefree 3m
    prayers to Careless Jewel, who will be operated on tomorrow afternoon after complications from foaling.

Can't tell if this is a second surgery, or a reference to the surgery Karen said she already had.
  • Poor little baby. Hope Careless Jewel recovers.
  • Poor, sweet foal. Prayers being sent to the courageous Careless Jewel and her owners.
  • Ditto all the caring sentiments above. PU Jewel!
  • My heart goes out to her, her connections, and of course her late foal. What I've heard is that she's in stable condition, but considering what she's been through she's probably still critical.
  • Has anyone heard how Careless Jewel is doing? I can't find anything on her progress since surgery? My heart is heavy for her and the loss of her Foal.. So Sad. ;(
  • No and I search the internet everyday.
  • Has anyone called Hagyard?
  • I'm sure Hagyard won't release any information since she's a patient of one of their clients. Patients are guaranteed their privacy unless there is a genuine need to know (i.e. rabies, etc). We'll just have to wait until her owners decide to release any news on her condition. I've also been searching the internet daily, but as they say "no news is good news" so hopefully she is doing well.
  • I've been searching the Internet, too and coming up with nothing about Careless Jewel's status. As you said, Doreen, we'll just have to wait for updates if they decide to release any.
  • O agree..no news is good news
  • I was watching the 2009 Breeders Cup Ladies Classic just now, looking for another horse, and saw this is the race that Careless Jewel led by 8 to 10 lengths for most of the race until almost the end when Life is Sweet came from last to win. I hadn't realized I had seen her before hearing of her foaling problems. Hope she is okay.
  • I was watching the 2009 Breeders Cup Ladies Classic just now, looking for another horse, and saw this is the race that Careless Jewel led by 8 to 10 lengths for most of the race until almost the end when Life is Sweet came from last to win. I hadn't realized I had seen her before hearing of her foaling problems. Hope she is okay.
    Here is that race:
  • VA_in_CAVA_in_CA Member
    edited February 2014
    Thanks, QueenZFan20QueenZFan20. Hadn't thought of posting the race. It's a good one and we get to see Zenyatta's pasture buddy run her (Z's) kind of race. Of course her trainer, seen at the end, wouldn't have anything to do with that. lol