Miscellaneous and Helpful Links to Remember

THIS LINK WAS CREATED TO HELP OTHER FORUM MEMBERS ACCESS COMMONLY REQUESTED LINKS OR WEBSITES...PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST YOUR LINKS OR "HOW TO REGISTER INSTRUCTIONS" IN THIS DISCUSSION.
Kylea has docked this link as an announcement on the top so it will be easy for all of us to find...rather than sorting through past postings in various discussion topics.

Comments

• Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
    edited February 2014
    Starting a thread for My Special Girl's webcam.

"louisecastello February 25

Everybody, starting tomorrow there will be a foaling cam, free and available to everyone, at the New Bolton Center hospital
    for a very special mare. Rather than explain, here is the link. I think it will be exciting.
    http://www.vet.upenn.edu/veterinary-hospitals/NBC-hospital/services/neonatal-intensive-care/foal-cam "
  • For those who are new and want to watch the variety of births from dogs to sheep to goats or alpacas/llamas and donkeys to horses (big and small)...Here are the steps to register on Marestare from page 385.

TO OUR OCCASIONAL OR NEW MARESTARE VIEWERS...AS OF 11/26/13...YOU MUST NOW REGISTER WITH MARE STARE TO VIEW THEIR WEBCAMS
    http://www.marestare.com
    Page 385 is buried so here's a repost for those who are interested in registering with marestare to view their webcams. Once registered...you can also get more update information and insights from their message board too...like new mares to watch, background information on the mares and BarnAlarm on impending births, etc.

HOW TO REGISTER WITH MARE STARE:
    Note: the sequence of registration may not be in this particular order as I am basing it on the steps I did from memory...
    Click on the AQUA link above to access Mare Stare's website. Then click on "PUBLIC OR MEMBER CAMS" (GREEN BANNER below Mare Stare, LLC). At this time you may get a notification to register...if not, select a farm's webcam from the "LIVE CAM" list...you will get a notification screen saying that you must register first to view. Simply click on "register now" and go through the steps in creating a user name and password along with your email address. There will be questions to fill in the "boxes"...this is a security measure to be sure you are not a computer but a live person registering. This was the section of the registration that caused much confusion. Here are the answers:
    5-2=3 (so just type in 3 as the answer in the box)
    Mare (just type in: Mare)
    It (Just type in: It)

Oh and don't forget to acknowledge that you are over 13 lol

Mare Stare will also ask you how long you want to access the webcam...I clicked on the longest length of time to view the webcams! I think I put in something like FOREVER or a similar word choice they provide.

There will be "Terms of Usage" that you have to acknowledge/accept in order to proceed.

After submittal...Mare Stare Message Board will send you an email for your record of your user name, etc. Mare Stare will also inform you that they will review your registration. They will then send you another email on the results.

IMPORTANT! If approved, you will on this second email, get a highlighted blue link to click to ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT. Until you activate the account, you will not be able to view the webcams. So make sure when you first sign in that you have typed in your correct email address...this is the email MareStare will reply to. I would also suggest you use a log in name "different" than what you use in the Zenyatta forum just to be on the safe side. You might write down/save your MareStare username/password/email just in case you forget what you used to register.

• Good to hear from you louisecastello! Regarding Navigating on the MareStare website...there are only a few key links to know: Actually all you need is the Live Cams--Barn Alarm--Message Board. Sorry...I don't think I can take photos of their webpage to give you easy to follow pictorial directions. :o(

BASIC LINKS TO KNOW IN MARE STARE
    FIRST...OPEN UP THE MARESTARE HOME PAGE
    http://www.marestare.com/

Just under the header... Mare Stare, LLC is a row of links in the PINE GREEN BANNER

Home    BarnAlam    Store    Community     Due Dates    Member Cams    Resources     Sign Up!

1) LIVE CAM LIST:
    Click on the MEMBER CAMS -->Live Cams (this is the list that shows the entire active collection of farms cameras to watch). I use grippers to reduce the frame size of the webcam list on the monitor then minimize it to the bottom of the screen so I can pull it up later when needed.

2) BARN ALARM:
    Next...Definitely click on BarnAlarm It will notify you when a pending foaling is about to happen if you have your computer turned on...great tool when you are working on the computer doing something else or posting on our Zenyatta Forum. This alarm will sound off 2 types of sounds: Low alert (clip-clop horse hooves) and a High alert Horse neighing. Once you get familiar with the test alert sounds...minimize it down to the bottom of your screen. This way it is still active and will sound off for you while you do something else.

When you hear the alarm go off...just bring up BarnAlarm from the bottom of your screen and you will see the name of the farm that is sending out the alert. You can click on the stop the alert option or click on the farm to view the webcam.

ADVANCED BARN ALARM OPTION:
    Instead of clicking on the webcam link from the BarnAlarm...
    Use the turn off alarm...then bring up the Member Cam list minimized at the bottom of your screen. Select the farm webcam then minimize the master webcam list to the bottom for future use.
         If you do this option...you can do a split screen by using grippers to adjust the frame size of the farm's webcam & Our Forum view so you can actively post on our forum while watching the webcam at the same time. By doing the second option...you can minimize the BarnAlarm to the bottom of the screen so it will still be active for another alert...as well as access the message board without losing view of the webcam or our Forum. Hard to explain...but keep this as a later "advanced" method. :oD

3) ACCESSING THE MESSAGE BOARD to get any updates from the owners:
    a. Click on Community in the PINE GREEN BANNER -->Message Board
    b. Once on the Message Board screen...Scroll down to another PINE GREEN BANNER that has your login name ->then, right below your name, click on Show unread posts since last visit
    c. Once you click on Show unread posts...scroll down the new screen and you will see a list of farms/mare names which has page numbers usually after the box that says new within each Subject. Once you find the farm you want to check on...Click on the page number...I usually look for the highest page number to see what is current. You can also click on earlier pages to get background info from owners and viewers. IMPORTANT! l leave a couple of pages left unread so the unread farm link will show up when you want to go back to it again.
    There are other ways to get to the message board...but for now this is the quickest, easiest to describe via words only

Once you get familiar with the links...Here's another way to access the message board: From Community->Message Board...scroll down to the heading: MARE STARE LIVE CAM BOARDS...then click on Foaling Alerts & Updates-Cam Threads Using this second option you can access the farm to read owner updates and this option also allows you to access Videos of past foalings you might have missed Under 2014 Nursery

4) DUE DATE CALENDAR: Go back to the homepage PINE GREEN BANNER and just click on the Due Date link so you can see past foalings and anticipated mares to foal. :oD

HOPE THIS GIVES YOU THE BASIC NAVIGATIONAL LINKS SO YOU CAN WATCH THE WEBCAMS AND MAKE USE OF THE BARN ALARM AND MESSAGE BOARD.
    edited February 2014
    If anyone knows the link to access the Jockey Club's official name registration to see if our suggested names for Z13 or Z14 are available...Please use this thread to post the link...THANKS! :oD

DOREEN POSTED BELOW THE EASY ACCESS LINK TO FIND OUT IF YOUR SUGGESTED NAMES FOR ZENYATTA'S FOALS HAS ALREADY BEEN TAKEN:
    THE JOCKEY CLUB OFFICIAL NAME REGISTRY
  • LINK TO PEDIGREE QUERY:
    http://www.pedigreequery.com/
    And once you get the pedigree, you can click on any horse in that pedigree and you will be taken to the pedigree of that horse. This helps you trace back to earlier famous race horses like Man 0' War. Secretariat, etc. Or maybe (probably) you already knew that.
  • Under Pedigree Query...you can also look up the horse's progeny (sons & daughters) and their race winnings too!
  • Oh, that I didn't know. How can one access this progeny info?
    edited February 2014
    HOW TO ACCESS PROGENY IN PEDIGREE QUERY
    http://www.pedigreequery.com/
    Directly below the window where you input the horse's name is a GREY BAR WITH WORDS...click on the first one that says REPORTS...this will give you a drop-down list ->select Progeny.. There are other choices under the drop-down list except some you have to have a subscription to access. You might find in the drop down list Photos quite interesting as this provides you photos that your horse is a descendant of...AND under each photo, you can click on the ancestor's name to see photos of that horse and his/her ancestors, etc. Other links you can access are: Common Ancestors, Stakes Races, Stallions.

• Thanks for setting up this page with all the links. Hope it will be used and new sites added in the future.
  • edited February 2014
    The other thing I like about PEDIGREE QUERY is that on the Pedigree Page if you see the little square icon with a tiny horse in it, someone has posted a photo of the horse in question. Click on the icon and the photo comes up.

• E_H...I didn't know that about the picture! Thanks....
  • Thanks, PG. What a cool site.

On the example you posted (Vertigineux') the For the Flag entry traces back to Man O' War, through War Admiral. I've traced that one back before. There is no Native Dancer in her pedigree anywhere. So Zenny gets that all from her sire.
    edited February 2014
    Probably we all know this already but in PEDIGREE QUERY to the left of the little square is an (i) icon. If you "hover" your cursor over that you get the...
    CURRENT STATS/INFO ON THE THOROUGHBRED.

• P_G: Good mention. That is such a helpful icon too.
  • If you would like to see how your dream pairing of your favorite mare and stallion could turn out (grade-wise), here's the link to see your results...Click on the aqua link below and then look to the upper right below the green banner. By choosing from the selection of stallions, you can then input your mare to see how the pairing rates!
    See sample website page image below.

TRUE NICKS HYPOTHETICAL FOAL:
    http://www.truenicks.com/

• EriNCEriNC Member
    Calculating Zenyatta's foaling date:
    http://www.zenyatta.com/discussions#/discussion/1050/calculating-zenyatta039s-foaling-date
    I was curious about equine gestation length (horse pregnancy). And I found this nifty little calculator (http://duncity.net/horses/foalingcalc.htm) doing some research I discovered Zenny was confirmed to be 37 days in foal on June 14 2013 (source:http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/78892/zenyatta-confirmed-in-foal-to-war-front) there is 37 days between May 8, 2013 and June 14, 2013. Therefore Zenny was last bred May 8, 2013. (However mares are usually bred more than once for better chances of the mare catching. So she may have been bred prior to this date.) Now back to research; because on the calculator it asks, "how many days was the mare in foal before giving birth?" We have to know that information. So, she was confirmed to be 60 days in foal to Tapit on June 21, 2012 and 60 days from June 21st is April 22. So for her Tapit baby Zenny was probably bred April 22, 2012. So now we know she was bred April 22, 2012 and she delivered April 1, 2013. Therefore she delivered at 344 days. Which means that Zennys most likely foaling date this year is April 17, 2014. Using the foaling calculator I was also able to figure out that she is 260 days in foal (technically horses can deliver anywhere from 320 days to 362 days, and if you watch mare stare you know can occasionally go over a year in foal.) However, it is also possible for mares to foal at 300 days so I would say the countdown to Z14 should begin March 4, 2014.
  • Pedigreequery is a lot of fun to play with, and the links in the pedigrees are gold (and a terrible time-waster, too). However, it is a user-maintained site, so information about earnings, race record, and unraced/unregistered progeny may or may not be up to date. The best place to get current racing and earnings information for North American horses is Equibase (www.equibase.com). It is updated within two hours or so after the end of every race. Type the horse's name into the search box and it will bring up the horse's Equibase page. If there is more than one horse with a name, you'll have to pick the right one. That's usually pretty easy.

You can also find info on jockeys, trainers, owners, tracks, and races.
  • Below is the active link for lauraj_cincinnati's preferred site on up-to-date racing and earnings info for North American race horses. Her instructions are listed above:

EQUIBASE LINK
    http://www.equibase.com/
  • Thanks for posting the link. I typed my post while at work, and Equibase is not an "approved" website (classified as Gambling).
  • VA_in_CAVA_in_CA Member
    edited March 2014
    The procedure for registering at MareStare has changed slightly and is now easier actually. Instead of those questions for which Paniolo_Gal provided answers, you only have to type in letters and/or numbers, just as you do to submit many things on the Internet "to prove you are a human being."

I guess they figure it is too hard for a horse to type in those letters and numbers accurately. That's to keep out the leering bachelor colts.
  • Lol VA_in_CA!!! That is priceless! I can see those "leering bachelor colts" in my mind and their absolute frustration that they can't sign in. Hilarious!
  • Glad you enjoyed it. It does present a rather riske picture.
  • FOLLOW THE FACEBOOK UPDATES ON NUNKI...
    THE LAST SURVIVING HORSE OF THE ABACO BARB BREED IN THE WORLD!
    (AKA The Abaco Spanish Colonial Horse)
    https://www.facebook.com/abacohorses