Commentary: It's Time For Asmussen To Go, For Two Reasons . . .

markinsacmarkinsac Member
edited March 2014 in General Interest
The word 'PETA' is already becoming irrelevant. Although the "animal-loving" organization has a shadowy past, many aren't attacking them as usual. Even the NY Times isn't taking heat. No, this time it's horse racing. Too many scandals have been swept under the rug. And the biggest loser is the industry itself.

At a time when attendance and betting have plummeted, racing can no longer afford another whitewash. For anybody who cares for animals, is there any faith left? Horse racing's defenders come out of the woodwork every time there's an eruption. Do you still believe them?

So horse racing has to make a tough decision here. But it's the only one. Steve Asmussen must go, as in be suspended for several years. Reason one: To placate the fans and bettors who have been jilted by the appologists. And two: To send a message to other offending trainers: Keep messing up my sport and you're gone.

Racing is on the national stage and once again it's in a bad light. It's time to get a new bulb. It's time to act.

Comments

• Oh, yeah, I almost forgot, if he treats his horses like he treats his workers . . .
  • markinsacmarkinsac Member
    edited March 2014
    Just the fact that this story is getting more and more legs, really shows that racing is out of lifelines. The PETA video was bad, but it wasn't THAT bad.

If you people don't like PETA, then why not get on DRF's back for not doing investigative reporting? They sit there and do all the goody-goody talk. At least Paulick has the guts to take this subject on.

If DRF did serious reporting, I might even pay for it.

• Tweeted from Nick King on Paulick Report: "Memo to thoroughbred racing. Your opinions on PETA and it's methods is irrelevant. What matters is public opinion of how we treat horses."

• FROM A BETTOR TO GARY STEVENS AND WAYNE LUKAS:

While you may joke around about buzzers, what if I was a bettor who bet on one of the other horses in the race. Where does that put me? It puts me in suckerland. And as these revelations keep seeping out about the nefarious actions of the industry, is it any wonder why betting and attendance have gone downhill? I used to admire the both of you, and if the video is accurate, you both are nothings and should be remove immediately. Mr. Stevens when you crossed the wire and got the sh-t shocked out of you, you weren't quite as shocked as I was when I viewed the video.
    edited March 2014
    THE VIDEO VIDEO ALSO SHOWED THE CALLOUSNESS SOME BACKSTRETCH WORKERS TREAT THEIR OWNERS

Scott Blasi's nasty words toward Zayat clearly show the attitude and gaming that goes on towards the guy with the bucks. I've worked as a groom and nearly EVERY owner was benevolent towards the horses, the groom and even the trainer who sometimes was taking him to the cleaners. Fortunately, I didn't work for one of those trainers.

edited March 2014
    IT'S AMAZING HOW A VIDEO CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE . . .

While racing's usual defenders come out with "altered video theories," if the PETA video is accurate, it will do much more to the human psyche than just a newspaper story. It shows our eyes more powerful than our brain? There was a buzz yesterday in the horse racing industry. But finally those who want constructive change were able to take charge of the debate. The predictable attacks on PETA ran rather hollow this time. The old argument of attack the messenger, had no legs.

Has racing's credibility fallen below PETA's?

• IF HORSE RACING HAS ANY CHANCE TO SURVIVE, IT MUST START WITH: INTEGRITY

INTEGRITY on how they treat the horses/

INTEGRITY on how they treat the bettors/

INTEGRITY on how they treat the workers/

INTEGRITY on how they treat the owners/

INTEGRITY on who they employ.

• PREDICTION: MUCH WORSE REVELATIONS WILL BE COMING OUT

There are many in the industry who know stuff, horrible stuff and have kept their lips sealed because they were scared to speak out; afraid of reprisals or losing their job. But to those: View the ugliness as a way to clean things up. You can't change what you don't know. Exposing the dirty secrets will only help weed out those who don't belong there and will make it safer for the horses and safer for the bettors to bet.

The time has come.

• THERE ARE PLENTY OF HARD-WORKING, TALENTED HORSEMEN AND WOMEN OUT THERE

Perhaps the most overshadowed group of people in this controversy is the trainers who play by the rules. They have seen their win percentage drop in the past decade at the hands of supertrainers who manufacture wins. But as a whole, the entire industry relies on fan support and betting. Even back in the days when the mafia ran bookmaking, they wanted the races and sporting events to be clean. It was better for their bottom line. Well the good guys and gals are the backbone of this industry. Time and again, bettors prefer clean races. And many bettors point to the trainers that run an honest show. If we return to the days of hay, oats and water a few amazing things will happen: horses will be healthier, get more starts in, bettors will return and bet more and the casual fan will return too.

I salute you.
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    Will await "revealations" from any reliable source.
    edited March 2014
    Carolina, I have no beef with you calling PETA an unreliable source, or me for that matter. If this was the only bad story to come out about horse racing in the last ten years, it surely would have been ignored. But the fact that it's spreading like wildfire makes me conclude this sad fact: PETA has more integrity than the horse racing industry. And many good guys in the industry are saying, "Stop attacking PETA, worry about the way the public perceives you (the industry).

This story REALLY isn't that big. But the fact that it's become big is a story within itself.

• YOU CAN'T HAVE HORSE RACING WITHOUT THE _____________ (fill in the blank)

As a bettor, I'm a staunch defender of me. You can't have horse racing without the bettor! Betting pays all the bills. From track announcer to groom, I pay your wages.

Breeders seem to think that they are the most important component. True, breeders breed the horses which bettors bet on.

Owners are really important too. Horses need to eat and be trained. Owners pay for their upkeep.

But are we all forgetting one thing? THE HORSE! Without horses, there's no breeder, owners or bettors. Mistreat this fabulous animal and we have no game.

• AMAZING TURNAROUD: TRAINER MAY GO FROM HALL OF FAME TO THE COUNTY JAIL IN ONE DAY . . .

When the uncomfortable PETA video came out, it really shined a light on Steve Asmussen's operation. Although there weren't very many incriminating areas on the way horses were treated, it was clearly evident that his barn isn't full of horse lovers. Neho's death looks suspicious, but no evidence of wrong-doing. However, if Asmussen and the gang were issuing false social security numbers, that is serious. Perhaps that will even lead to incarceration.

But the social security issue is actually a look at how this barn operates. If he would dope the social security administration, would he even think twice about doping a horse?

. . . something to think about . . .
  • Holla, Lu Yaaaa. Next trainer please!
    edited March 2014
    PETA ASSUMED THE USE OF LASIX WAS NEFARIOUS, BUT THAT ACTUALLY MAKES THE VIDEO MORE CREDIBLE . . .

The overuse of Lasix is bad for horses, in my opinion. PETA must of thought it was somewhat illegal. Ironically, the video doesn't come out with hard-core proof that illegal activity was taking place on the treatment of horses. We do see injections, who's to say the medication was legal or illegal?

But the video more than exposes one key factor that many in the industry claim: Racehorses are treated like royalty. I've been there, and in many cases they are. But the Asmussen barn represents a disturbing breed: The Supertrainer. The main focus is getting the horse to race even if it's not in condition to do so. Remember Scott Blasi's rant about his horse getting scratched? "We'll fix them next time!"

And it was this snotty attitude that may have been the tipping point. I think PETA was more concerned with coming up with damaging illegal activity. Little did they know, it was just the portrayal of the treatment of the horses that was the most damaging.

• TO INJECT OR NOT TO INJECT . . .

With all the hoopla on the PETA video, now is a good time to lay low. But why? After all, nobody would suspect you of doing something illegal with the burner on high. Yeah but somebody in my barn might be a spy! But there's a $500,000 race coming up next weekend. You've gotten away with it all these years. But what if I get caught? You idiot! We're talking about the illegal stuff here. The illegal stuff is safer than the legal stuff because it's undetectable in the post-race test! You're right! I'll make up my mind the day of the race. How will I know if you injected? If I inject, you'll see my wife in line at the high-limit betting window . . .
    edited March 2014
    BAN THE WORD P-E-T-A RIGHT NOW!

Since many in the industy just got out-gamed by an organization that has next to zero credibility, naturally feelings will be hurt. To be lower than P-E-T-A on the integrity totem pole must be unnerving. So to honor those in the industry who want this issue to just go away like the rest of them, I pledge to use the P-E-T-A word as minimal as I can.

I'm making myself a delicious roast beef sandwich on pita bread. Oops!
  • Breeders are just as much to blame as the unethical sadistic trainers. When the breeding shed has unsound horses cranking out fragile offspring no wonder trainers feel the need to medicate and go to any length to win. The fact is the horse racing industry has alot of reform from the top to the bottom that needs done. I am glad that some operations are winning while seeing their horses as sentient beings that deserve to be treated with the respect and care they deserve.
    edited March 2014
    Well stated and thank you. There's all kinds of reforming that needs to go on. I think looking at the way the UK does or Australia and South America too, we are in the backroads in placing the horse's care first.

• Here's one thing I don't understand about the breeders, isn't it the owner of the broodmare who seeks out a stallion? So is it the mare's owner at fault? Straighten me out if I'm wrong on my assumption.

• MARKINSAC AND CASEY AGEEE FOR A CHANGE!

When Casey said, "There's bad apples in every group," Casey, I couldn't agree with you more!
  • Enough already, we all know Zayat scratched his horses, I reported that at 5am.

• IF YOU'RE A BIG BETTOR, THIS MAY BE A BAD WEEKEND TO BET . . .

Horse racing has never seen so much heat from the mainstream press, like CNN, etc. If you are a trainer doing naughty things, now is a good time to lay low. If you're a bettor, you can surmise that the horses in top barns might not run up to the capabilities you are used to seeing. So expect some form reversals. You might get some really good prices on honest barns who may just have a level playing field after all.
  • I just read in Bloodhorse that Asmussen's nomination for Hall of Fame honor has been tabled and any votes already cast for him will not be counted.