California Chrome

slewpyslewpy Member
Anyone else thinking beyond the Derby? I'm thinking, finally an outstanding horse has come along and bolstered all my hopes for a TC Winner.

Also, thought CC deserved his own thread as the Derby favorite.

Comments

• Indeed! Did anyone read my post on the Kentucky Derby thread? I'll repost it here.

• I'm STILL reluctant to say he could be a possible TC hopeful.... But I WILL say that so far, he's ringing all the right bells and whistles. The thing that struck me the most was how calm and collected he was before the race.... He looked like he was just going out for a breeze! And when he was pulling away from the other horses; his ears were pricked, his head was held high, and he was barely breaking a sweat. He really impressed me. But I will not go so far YET as to say he will win the derby, because he just faced 8 horses in the SA derby.... He'll be facing 19 in the Kentucky Derby.
    And also, to let everyone know; Cali Chrome's female line traces back to Princess Matoaka.... Who is a daughter of Princequillo. As we all know... Princequillo carries the "X gene" -- the gene responsible for Secretariat's unusually large heart. Now this gene can only be passed on through his daughters. And Cali Chrome's dam, Love And Chase, is a direct female descendant of Princess Matoaka. So it's quite possible she carries the "X gene".

• Good idea, slewpy. When asked after the SA Derby about maybe having the Derby and possible TC winner, the owners said, "We have a good horse. Every time you start getting too confident fate has a way of knocking you down. So for right now, let's just say we have a real good horse and leave it at that." I really liked that about the owners, they just want to enjoy the ride without expectations of anything more.
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    RR12 ....just did a little pedigree research on CC....Princess Matoaka is by Princequillo....and her "date" was with Ribot....undefeated tank of a horse....love this bottom line...
  • My greatest fear is that he doesn't stay healthy. Can't help but think about Eskendereya. Think CC is the best hope for a TC winner since Eskendereya. But the variables are so many which is why in all the years of the TC, there's only 11 who did it.

He has to stay healthy, he has to have good trips, he has to overcome the unexpected, and he has to overcome adversity. So, if he is to be the champ that he's beginning to look like, he will overcome.
  • He has a healthy attitude.
  • The odds are stacked against him.... But the true mark of a champion is facing adversity... .And overcoming it. So we'll see.
  • I haven't been this excited about the Derby presented by Yum! Brands since Smarty Jones.
  • I like his connections, too. From what I've heard they're really nice people and I've heard good things about his trainer.
  • I like his demeanor. He is happy wherever he is in the race, he can give his jockey a quick burst tactically, then turn it off, back on, off, and on again. This is the type horse that can handle adversity without coming unglued. Now let's enjoy the ride.
  • Mark, I too haven't felt this enthusiastic about the Derby since Smarty. CC looks like he has the right stuff, but as we all know anything can happen between now and the big day (or even on the big day - remember I Want Revenge?)
  • I respect CC's trainer, plus the horse looks so darn healthy. He seems to be enjoying all this. Remember even though Smarty came into the Derby presented by Yum! Brands undefeated, he went off at 4-1. I'm guessing CC will go off closer to 2-1 based on his preps being a bit more flashy.
  • Some are saying CC isn't bred for the distance, but they said the same thing about Smarty too.
  • KalarKalar Member
    edited April 2014
    WOW! Just checked out CC's pedigree a little closer and omg! Let's just say that the boy has potential. :D Having said that, I've seen some amazing pedigrees and the horse didn't do squat on the racetrack. A lot of times it depends on the owner/trainer that gets them. Again, having said all that, some of those horses that appeared to be destined for greatness on the racetrack ended up showing terrific ability in other equine sports.
  • KalarKalar Member

I'm STILL reluctant to say he could be a possible TC hopeful.... But I WILL say that so far, he's ringing all the right bells and whistles. The thing that struck me the most was how calm and collected he was before the race.... He looked like he was just going out for a breeze! And when he was pulling away from the other horses; his ears were pricked, his head was held high, and he was barely breaking a sweat. He really impressed me. But I will not go so far YET as to say he will win the derby, because he just faced 8 horses in the SA derby.... He'll be facing 19 in the Kentucky Derby.
    And also, to let everyone know; Cali Chrome's female line traces back to Princess Matoaka.... Who is a daughter of Princequillo. As we all know... Princequillo carries the "X gene" -- the gene responsible for Secretariat's unusually large heart. Now this gene can only be passed on through his daughters. And Cali Chrome's dam, Love And Chase, is a direct female descendant of Princess Matoaka. So it's quite possible she carries the "X gene".

CC definitely has potential. The first time I laid eyes on him I was in love. I had not even seen him race yet. He is so 'together.' He's focused, attentive, calm, 'gathered,' a smooth mover....everything seems to function in synch like he's occupying his whole self. Does that make sense? :) He looks like he could run all day.
  • I agree with what everyone is saying, he was so calm, cool, and collected going to the gate, like it was just another day. His only hitch was how he broke from the gate, if that happens at the derby and he gets pinched back behind a wall of horses, it will be something he isn't used to and we will have to see how he handles it. But that is IF it happens, he may break like a shot and not have that problem. Praying he stays healthy until the Derby, I am very excited about the first Saturday in May!! :)
  • I'm sure the trainer and jock will do some gate training. But the post position is crucial too. 6-10 would be perfect.
  • Art Sherman is not a stranger to the Derby, but it has been a while. I agree that California Chrome has what it takes, but he's going to need some luck. Power Up, Stay Strong!! We need another Triple Crown Winner. I'll be rooting for him.
  • CC was actually eased up in the last sixteenth, saving something for Kentucky. He probably could have gone a half-second faster.
  • Anyone else thinking beyond the Derby? I'm thinking, finally an outstanding horse has come along and bolstered all my hopes for a TC Winner.

Also, thought CC deserved his own thread as the Derby favorite.
    Thank you for starting this discussion thread...my sentiments exactly...he deserves his own Discussion.

While the odds for a Triple Crown sweep are stacked against him I prefer to have a positive attitude of anticipation and hope.
  • His pedigree is interesting too....

Restated from a previous comment:

In article about CC
    ....speaking about the purchase of Love the Chase, dam of California Chrome: “When Steve and I decided to purchase her, a groom walked by and said, ‘Anyone who buys this horse is a dumb ass.’”

My comment:
    Although her racing career leaves something to be desired the fact that her Sire and Dam both have Champion Numbered Account up close in their pedigree certainly would have inspired me to take a chance on her.

• I'm glad CC has his own thread now. His races have been beyond amazing, and he's definitely my derby favorite. But is there a possibility that he might be peaking too early?
  • There's always a possibility for anything to happen but he's been steadily improving so I'm not sure he's already peaked. Hopefully he peaks on the right day - his next race. And maintains his energy to win the TC. But the way he's going, he could improve off the Derby.
  • I am absolutely thrilled he is a homebred. I think our only hope in this day and age for a TC winner is a homebred. I just cannot get behind these pinhooked horses; they go through the ring as weanlings, again as yearlings, again as "two year olds in training". And heaven forbid they run in a field with their buddies; they might get a scratch, or, horrors, a sunburned coat! They might not be shiny in the sales ring! Sorry for the rant, it's a part of the business I do not like. The horses are blameless, however, I wish them all the best.
  • If anyone is interested, I recently featured California Chrome in my "Derby Hopeful" series on Horse Racing Nation:
    http://www.horseracingnation.com/blogs/grandstand/2014_Kentucky_Derby_Hopeful_California_Chrome_123