California Chrome

Comments

• KetaKeta Member
    Derby Dozen - April 7, 2014 - Presented by Shadwell Farm
    The Blood-Horse Blogs Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - April 7, 2014
    1 California Chrome Art Sherman
    Lucky Pulpit—Love the Chase, by Not For Love
    There is absolutely nothing more to say about this horse that I haven’t already said over the past two months. He is simply one of the most special young horses I’ve seen in years, and if the Triple Crown drought is ever to end, this is the kind of horse who will end it. Yes, I’m getting way ahead of myself, but I cannot remember the last time I’ve seen a horse as close to perfection as this guy. For a horse to keep piling up these freakish performances for a so long is a rarity in racing today and he actually keeps getting better.
    More in article
    2 Hoppertunity Bob Baffert
    Any Given Saturday—Refugee, by Unaccounted For
    Remember, Baffert had toyed with the idea of training up to the Derby, because of all the racing and traveling he’s squeezed into this year, so he got exactly what he wanted – a nice long “work” into him in a $1 million race. Now this race sets him up for a peak performance on May 3. I wrote that all you wanted from him was a Real Quiet-like performance, where he wasn’t being asked, while still keeping pace with a brilliant winner like California Chrome; in Real Quiet’s case it was Indian Charlie. What is important to note is that he did keep pace with California Chrome in the final furlong without being asked (neither was the winner), but still was able to open up 3 1/2 lengths on Candy Boy and the others, while coming home his final eighth in :12 2/5.
    More in article

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/kentucky-derby-dozen/archive/2014/04/07/derby-dozen-april-7-2014-presented-by-shadwell-farm.aspx#ixzz2yFyXnTNa

• KetaKeta Member
    INTERVIEW WITH ART SHERMAN-VIDEO
    Kentucky Derby 140: Ep. 5 –
    3 yr. old takes 76 yr. old to the Kentucky Derby
    Published on Mar 21, 2014
    At 76 years old, trainer Art Sherman has his sights set on taking his first horse to the Kentucky Derby to run along side competitors trained by Derby veterans Bob Baffert, Todd Pletcher and the likes.
    Follow along with Art and 3 year old colt, California Chrome on their Road to Kentucky Derby 140!

Note: This is from March before the San Felipe Stakes.
    Excellent interview & video of Swaps & California Chrome!
  • KetaKeta Member
    Jay Privman ‏Daily Racing Form tweets Sunday April 6, 2014
    Art Sherman, this am: “I’ve made up my mind that at this stage of my life,
    I just want to enjoy it…If it’s meant to be, it’s meant to be.”

Sherman, on CC opening up on rivals: “That’s what blew my mind…Victor hadn’t moved on him. And then, Jiminy Cricket, he’s 6 in front.”
  • KetaKeta Member
    Santa Anita Derby (Gr. I) - Saturday, April 5
    Santa Anita Park Published on Apr 5, 2014
    Santa Anita Derby (Gr. I) won by Cal-bred, California Chrome
  • California Chrome is #1 on this weeks Derby Dozen list: California Chrome Art Sherman

Lucky Pulpit—Love the Chase, by Not For Love

There is absolutely nothing more to say about this horse that I haven’t already said over the past two months. He is simply one of the most special young horses I’ve seen in years, and if the Triple Crown drought is ever to end, this is the kind of horse who will end it. Yes, I’m getting way ahead of myself, but I cannot remember the last time I’ve seen a horse as close to perfection as this guy. For a horse to keep piling up these freakish performances for a so long is a rarity in racing today and he actually keeps getting better. My apologies for a little horn tooting, but I have a reason for doing so. Back on Feb. 3 after his Cal Cup Derby victory, I wrote, Cal-bred or no Cal-bred, this was the most impressive 3-year-old in the country, saying, “This horse has such a long fluid stride and levels off so beautifully he’s a joy to watch…you can’t ask a horse to run any straighter down the stretch. He accelerates on his own at the right time, and for a long-striding horse his lead changes are so smooth you can barely see him do it…this horse has absolutely no flaws.” Two months later and nothing has changed. He has run one monster Thoro-Graph number after another without regressing; he has run the best 3-year-olds in California into the ground at the exact same spot each time and with the same push-button burst of speed; he wins under no urging at all; his works are spectacular while under wraps; he’s now won at 4 1/2 furlongs, 5 1/2 furlongs, 7 furlongs, 1 1/16 miles, and 1 1/8 miles and has been racing steadily for an entire year; he’s brilliantly fast, but has a tremendous mind and knows how to harness his speed and when to use it; and his pedigree is inundated with classic winners at 1 1/2 miles from Europe and the U.S. Can a horse possibly keep up this remarkable pace heading into the Derby? In the words of Al Jolson, we ain’t seen nuthin’ yet. Come to think of it, I take back my apology.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/kentucky-derby-dozen/archive/2014/04/07/derby-dozen-april-7-2014-presented-by-shadwell-farm.aspx#ixzz2yGEsG4V6
  • KetaKeta Member
    If anyone is interested, I recently featured California Chrome in my "Derby Hopeful" series on Horse Racing Nation:
    http://www.horseracingnation.com/blogs/grandstand/2014_Kentucky_Derby_Hopeful_California_Chrome_123
    Well done article!
    Good info on pedigree!

• Just A Man And His Horse: California Chrome's owner Steve Coburn gives the horse a gigantic smooch after winning the Santa Anita Derby. Alex Evers, once again, with a rocking good image…JUST LOVE THIS PHOTO. https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1.0-9/s403x403/1902787_10152505476568814_7859193778416836657_n.png
  • edited April 2014
    That picture is too sweet for words. He's channeling my desire to give Cali Chrome a good smooch on his soft wee nose.
  • CA Chrome is carrying the hopes of all CA small breeder/owners, CA racing fans, and anyone who gives a hoot about the racing industry, especially in CA. He is by a son of Pulpit and who else do we know is an outstanding son of Pulpit and who has sired a striking chestnut, 13Z. This is already a better story than 50 to 1 and we'll see what else. When Steve Haskin rates a horse No. 1 on the derby trail for how many weeks in a row? This is no fluke. Let's enjoy the ride with his connections. The Derby is not a race; it's a stampede and requires a lot of luck to cross the wire first. For those in the Chrome camp, pray for a sunny day and a fast track. Chrome doesn't know what water is except to drink and get a bath. We're having a drought out here in CA and NV in case you haven't heard. Also, pray that he draws a decent post. After that, just pray that it's a safe race for all. Chrome, you have already helped so many who are connected to you, so good luck, stay cool, and focus on the task at hand. The CA breeders with your cousins will be cheering you and hoping to smell those roses all the way out West.
  • Casey took pics of Santa Anita Derby, some great pics of Cali Chrome

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.627188030694817.1073741899.437380093008946&type=1
  • Exciting stuff!!!!!
  • markinsacmarkinsac Member
    edited April 2014
    That third from last picture is outstanding. He looks so professional standing there waiting for the picture to be taken. And then in the last picture, Victor Espinoza tries to do a California Chrome impersonation (look at the first pic then look at the last one).
  • KalarKalar Member
    edited April 2014
    Great pics! I'm reminded of something Penny Chenery said about Secretariat that "He was too pretty. There had to be a flaw somewhere. God doesn't put everything into one package." :D Love CC! Looking at those pics of CC, I'm reminded that approximately 90% of today's thoroughbreds can be traced back to the Darley Arabian. CC seems to have a touch of Arabian in the shape of his head....or is that my imagination? And wouldn't it be something if he has the large heart?? Wow!
  • KalarKalar Member
    edited April 2014
    Princequillo, Man-O-War, Buckpasser, Sir Gaylord, Swaps, Nashua, Raise a Native, Bold Ruler, Northern Dancer, Ribot (undefeated in 16 starts...Zenyatta has him, too), Secretariat, Seattle Slew, Mr. Prospector, and others. Some of the really greats more than once down the line. Except for his last generation...maybe two, CC has a packed house of genetic potential. It's so exciting to see a horse like him in the Year of the Horse! :)
  • And also, to let everyone know; Cali Chrome's female line traces back to Princess Matoaka.... Who is a daughter of Princequillo. As we all know... Princequillo carries the "X gene" -- the gene responsible for Secretariat's unusually large heart. Now this gene can only be passed on through his daughters. And Cali Chrome's dam, Love And Chase, is a direct female descendant of Princess Matoaka. So it's quite possible she carries the "X gene".

Just a thought.
    Do you know if Chestnut is the common coat color for "X" gene carriers?
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    Sec & Phar Lap both chestnut......Sham bay or brown ...
  • Sec & Phar Lap both chestnut......Sham bay or brown ...
    Did Sham have the "X" gene?
  • Yup he did, his heart was very large but still not as large as secretariats
  • Yup he did, his heart was very large but still not as large as secretariats
    Paniolo_Gal has informed me that there is no X Factor gene per se; just horses with larger hearts for whatever random reason.
  • but there have been articles written on this
  • http://www.sport-horse-breeder.com/large-heart.html it has to do with the mare Pocahontas
  • Some doctors estimate mine at 30 pounds.
  • I really, really not seen so much enthusiasm for a horse going into the TC in years. I just hope Jon White of xpressbet doesn't come out with his annual prediction of a TC sweep. That's the kiss of death.
  • Ill Have Another is the last horse from Cali to win the Derby and Preakness. but hes not a Cali bred, only a few Cali breds have won the derby
  • http://www.sport-horse-breeder.com/large-heart.html it has to do with the mare Pocahontas
    I read the article, thanks, very interesting, especially the below update:

2012 update- I have been a little disappointed by a few blogs I have chanced upon that are discounting the work Marianna Haun and her team did. Saying that she was wrong, that there is no 'large heart gene' and that her work was too simplistic. Marianna Haun and her team, which was comprised of some of the best veterninary and genetic research people available then - and even now, the work they did was ground breaking, it opened the door for more research, and since then many dedicated scientists and researchers have built on the base they provided. This is to be expected, it is always for others that come after the ground breakers to enlarge the path, and clear the debris and branch out. For those of you who have chanced on these blogs and become discouraged, realize the work they did was excellent, there is a large heart that travels down the genetic trail through specific ancestors, whether there is one gene or many or several other factors involved.

2013 Update: For those of you who want to learn more on sex-linked characteristics and tesio methods my book is now available: North American Sport Horse Breeder.