California Chrome

Comments

• edited November 2019
    CALIFORNIA CHROME 2020 Stud Fee Arrow Stud, announced JPN 4,000,000. US$36,700(about). Booked Full. According to Tony Cano information.

Arrow Stud website:
    http://www.jscompany.jp/10_arrowstud/
  • edited November 2019
    Unlikely Japan - By Evan Hammonds

http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/wgoh/archive/2019/11/26/Unlikely-Japan-_2D00_-By-Evan-Hammonds.aspx

We hold these truths to be self-evident: The sport of Thoroughbred racing is the greatest game played outdoors. Thoroughbred breeding is a business. We are reminded of this every time a horse goes through the sale ring or we receive notice that a stallion has been retired to stud, has been relocated to another operation, or has been sold to interests in another country.

The marketplace is truly international. Keeneland sales officials noted buyers from Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and Korea helped bolster the bottom line at its November sale earlier this month.

This week brought us a news item that came with a jolt: California Chrome, the 2014 Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (G1) and Preakness Stakes (G1) winner and two-time Horse of the Year, was being sold by Taylor Made Farm to Japanese interests (see page 18).

The son of Lucky Pulpit has been a popular addition to the Taylor Made Stallions roster, with the farm even creating a cottage tourist industry around the flashy chestnut. It wasn’t as if he weren’t popular among breeders. In his three seasons at stud in North America (2017-19) California Chrome covered 145, 133, and 143 mares, according to The Jockey Club’s Report of Mares Bred.

While several other Derby winners have been sent to Japan—2011 winner Animal Kingdom was just sold to the Japan Bloodhorse Breeders’ Association in October—the news came as a shock to California Chrome’s faithful fans, and there has been a high level of backlash, which is to be expected in this day of social media “hot takes.” California Chromies (@CalChrome) has more than 17,800 followers on Twitter.

Another Derby and Preakness winner and Horse of the Year sold to Japanese interests was Sunday Silence, trained by the great Charlie Whittingham. The life and times of Whittingham, the “Bald Eagle,” are explored in depth in our cover story by features editor Lenny Shulman (see page 44).

“After we sold him, we got telegrams, faxes, and phone calls to the office,” owner Arthur Hancock III remembered. “It was stuff like, ‘How could you do this?’

“Look, I’m man enough to stand up for whatever I do. I made the decision, but it was in the best interest of the horse, the best interest of Stone Farm, my family with six kids, and also Charlie.”

Sunday Silence’s exportation was a bit different than California Chrome’s. The former, a son of Halo, raised by Hancock and raced by Hancock, Whittingham, and Dr. Ernest Gaillard, was popular with racing fans but had been met with indifference from Kentucky breeders.

“I might have gotten a lot of grief for that (selling him in 1990), but I didn’t sell him. The American breeders sold him,” Hancock said.

“I knew everybody in the world, and I had John Adger helping me and Phil Owens helping me. I must have called 100 people…everybody I knew in France, England, here, and everywhere. Nobody would take any shares in him.

“The first thing I ever heard about it was when Charlie called me one day, maybe four or five months before the colt retired. It was after his 3-year-old year, and he said, ‘You know, it’s a strange thing, Arthur; nobody is coming by here to look at Sunday Silence with the idea of breeding to him.’ When he said that, I said, ‘Well, maybe they know he’s coming here (Stone Farm).’ He said, ‘No, I’m not talking about that. I’m talking about breeders just wanting to look at him with the idea of breeding a mare to him when he retires.’

“At the time I didn’t think too much about it, but he was exactly right.”

Hancock sold Sunday Silence for a reported 
$10 million, and the horse went on to become the most accomplished sire in Japan, topping that country’s leading sires list 13 times and siring 172 stakes winners.

“Who knows if California Chrome will make a stallion?,” Hancock mused. “California Chrome had a lot of heart and was a great racehorse like Sunday Silence. None of us knew for sure what Sunday Silence would do. As it turned out, he’s one of the greatest sires ever in the world.

“Charlie had a saying: ‘Never say anything about a horse until he’s been dead at least 10 years.’ ”

Time will tell.

• “I might have gotten a lot of grief for that (selling him in 1990), but I didn’t sell him. The American breeders sold him,” Hancock said.
  • That caught my eye too! So true.
    whoodler said:

“I might have gotten a lot of grief for that (selling him in 1990), but I didn’t sell him. The American breeders sold him,” Hancock said.

• edited November 2019
    California Chrome’s new owner: ‘We promise to take care of him’

https://www.horseracingnation.com/news/California_Chrome_s_new_owner_We_promise_to_take_care_of_him_123#

In a World Horse Racing video feature published Friday, he also noted that the news shut down his company’s website for hours given the crush of clicks.

Much of that may have stemmed from Japanese curiosity in an American dirt champion making his way overseas. But this horse has always had his “Chromies,” too, and there was concern from them about the 2014 Kentucky Derby winner leaving his Kentucky home as a Taylor Made stallion.

“Please don’t be afraid of his next career here because we promise to take care of him very deeply,” Onishi said in the video.

• Nice gesture from the farm hopefully things will calm down now, but I suspect not.
  • bleubettybleubetty Member
    edited November 2019
    "We promise to take care of him" ---- I sincerely believe they will, I just hope they provide an occasional update (in English) on how he is doing and post pics of Chrome being ChromeI

I was somewhat confused, I thought Arrow Stud was a division of the Shadai Farm group/holdings owned by the Yoshida family/brothers. Apparently --- it is not! Does anyone know anything about the ownership of Arrow Stud? I have browsed the internet and everything I find is in Japanese.

I have read most of the articles posted online, Steve Haskins always writes from the heart and he certainly gave his view of why Chrome was sold. But --- I think @Zenyen "nailed it" with her post. Best analogy I have read on why Chrome was sold, especially her comments on "Blackballing".

I don't understand why Taylor Made Farm is getting so much heat and blame for this --- they always were minority owners and didn't own enough "shares" to block the sale. While Chrome was at Taylor Made they made him one of their top priorities --- catering to his legions of loyal fans and promoting him in every way possible. I honestly think they will miss having him at the farm --- While I am NOT a crazy Chromie, I do really love Chrome and I will miss being able to get frequent updates on him --- in English <3
  • bleubetty said:

"We promise to take care of him" ---- I sincerely believe they will, I just hope they provide an occasional update (in English) on how he is doing and post pics of Chrome being ChromeI

I was somewhat confused, I thought Arrow Stud was a division of the Shadai Farm group/holdings owned by the Yoshida family/brothers. Apparently --- it is not! Does anyone know anything about the ownership of Arrow Stud? I have browsed the internet and everything I find is in Japanese.

I have read most of the articles posted online, Steve Haskins always writes from the heart and he certainly gave his view of why Chrome was sold. But --- I think @Zenyen "nailed it" with her post. Best analogy I have read on why Chrome was sold, especially her comments on "Blackballing".

I don't understand why Taylor Made Farm is getting so much heat and blame for this --- they always were minority owners and didn't own enough "shares" to block the sale. While Chrome was at Taylor Made they made him one of their top priorities --- catering to his legions of loyal fans and promoting him in every way possible. I honestly think they will miss having him at the farm --- While I am NOT a crazy Chromie, I do really love Chrome and I will miss being able to get frequent updates on him --- in English <3 </p>

The HorseRacingNation article says who the owner is.....

Keisuke Onishi is the head of the JS Company, which routinely buys up horses at auction. And I finally found something about Arrow Stud when I translated it to Japanese and Google searched the translation. It appears that JS Company also owns Arrow Stud! This is what I got: http://www.jscompany.jp/10_arrowstud/

It's in Japanese...... but if Google will translate for you, it's fascinating. I would post screenshots if I could....
  • It’s called
    bleubetty said:

I don't understand why Taylor Made Farm is getting so much heat and blame for this --- they always were minority owners and didn't own enough "shares" to block the sale. While Chrome was at Taylor Made they made him one of their top priorities --- catering to his legions of loyal fans and promoting him in every way possible. I honestly think they will miss having him at the farm --- While I am NOT a crazy Chromie, I do really love Chrome and I will miss being able to get frequent updates on him --- in English <3 </p>

There has always been a segment of Chromies, I'll call them Radical Chromies, who somehow bought into the story of this horse even though they have NO understanding of horses, horse racing or the industry. They are the type of people who cherry pick what they hear in interviews, and have built a narrative for themselves that rivals a Disney horse hero/story book fairytale.

I have always maintained that while it seemed like a good idea at the time, and was an interesting approach to educating a non-horsey public, the Zenyatta diary Dottie did when Zenny first retired, had unintended and negative consequences. Long story short, they've never been interested in educating themselves about horses, or horse racing. They want the fairytale "Happily Ever After" ending.

Taylor Made, made the announcement and as such became the target for all the outrage. When I read what they wrote on Facebook it was crystal clear to me that Taylor Made voted to keep the horse in the USA but were out voted. As the professionals they are, they're not going to say "It was the other kids who took our toy away!!" Taylor Made was trying to do the right thing by the fans, but wow did that backfire on them.

I really feel bad for Taylor Made Farms. They recognized Chrome's uniqueness, all he was bringing and could bring to the sport (as detailed by Haskins) and rather than sitting in their armchairs complaining about how the horse was being managed by DAP, they stepped in and offered to help. I truly believe they did this for the love of the horse. They have been innovative in trying to build the horse a solid stallion career, while also making him available to fans.

But Perry Martin is toxic, Steve Coburn cut and ran, the Industry wasn't won over (yet) and even if Taylor Made lobbied to keep the horse in the US, give his two year olds a chance to hit the track, they were outvoted. In the end Taylor Made got screwed over by Martin, just as thoroughly as the fans.

But the Radical Chromies don't want to stop wailing long enough to understand. They are quite literally shooting the messenger.
  • As a Chrome-aholic I take exception with the idea that his fans were screwed over by anybody, especially Martin.
  • CALIFORNIA CHROME 2020 Stud Fee Arrow Stud, announced JPN 4,000,000. US$36,700(about). Booked Full. According to Tony Cano information.

Arrow Stud website:
    http://www.jscompany.jp/10_arrowstud/

California Chrome Highlights Arrow Stud's 2020 Fees: https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/237314/california-chrome-highlights-arrow-studs-2020-fees
  • California Chrome being Chrome --- the camera loves him and he loves it right back!
    He will always be one of my all-time favorites <3

• CC filly out of Beau Watch. First time on track (she is on the outside).

https://www.facebook.com/ashley.godwin1/videos/10156797765652849/
  • edited December 2019
    This is why people can't stand the man. Look at his response to: It has been stated we laughed all the way to the bank.
    What a comment to make under the circumstances. Snide, no class.

Clearing up Misconceptions
    The Sale of California Chrome
    By Perry Martin | 12/05/2019

https://www.martinracing.us/news.php?fbclid=IwAR3uGQMMvc-vbGIiO5uR1AhxmPvX8nasRtTls6SDutVdg3Wn2sEXzWcuW88

Zenyen said:

When Taylor Made purchased those shares of Chrome they were taking a gamble. A gamble that they could help get the horse fit, sound and racing again, AND a gamble that the good will the Taylor's have in the Industry could soften the damage done by both Coburn and Martin. At the end of the day, whether you agree with statements they made, their attitudes, the way they handled themselves, etc people are people and they hold grudges.

Coburn burned himself with his meltdown at Belmont, but he got out of the horse completely which was the best thing for Chrome.

However, Martin -upon reflection- pissed the Industry off, and continued to piss the Industry off straight up and into Chrome's stallion career. His arrogance, his inability (or lack of desire) to present his arguments in a polite way, his demands, his ego, all of it bred an attitude of resentment in Chrome's customer base.

Simply put the people Chrome needed to open up their wallets and give him that 3 year chance, looked at those sales offerings and whether the value was there, they automatically drew a low line in how far they would bid. Even if a similar individual, without that DAP connection, might have gone for significantly more. They were not going to reward Martin's antics by putting significant money in his pockets.

It really is no different than standard sale etiquette in ANY industry. If you're selling something people can get elsewhere, but you're rude to your customers, then your customers are going to go spend their money at the competition.

So from that perspective, this sale and move to Japan (or even a move to EU/South America/Australia anywhere but the US) is the best thing for Chrome. He gets rid of the albatross of DAP from around his neck, he goes to a country with an Industry that does not give a flip about how DAP handled themselves, and he brings bloodlines Japanese breeders are looking for. Yes, it's deeply distressing for his fans, but it is also a win/win/win situation for Chrome.

• Way to sh** on the owners who did send horses to Chrome.

Martin sounds like he's going to try to clean the slate and start over in Japan, but if he thinks his attitude is going to endear him in Japan, I suspect he's in for a CTJ moment.
  • Perry Martin is a Dumbass
  • Yesterday was a good day for two mares who had Chrome foals in 2018. Bast won her 3rd Grade 1 yesterday and her dam, Laffina, has a 2018 Chrome colt and Shotski who won the Grade 2 Remsen yesterday is out of She Cat who has 2018 Chrome filly.
  • Arch up close in both 2 YOs.
  • edited December 2019
    He has been named California Keen.

• edited December 2019
    It looks like to post a photo we have to go back to using a hosting site.

The filly below is out of Chi Omega

• This filly out of Queen of the Dawn has been named Saratoga Chrome:

• Filly out of SOMETHINABOUTBETTY, named Mozu Treasure

• edited December 2019
    This filly out of Celtic Chant has been named ERIE TESORO

She is owned by Ryotokuji Kenji Holdings and is being exported to Japan. The owners use the word Tesoro in naming their horses...they own the following horses...Rose Tesoro, Queen's Tesoro, Pumori Tesoro, and Boston Tesoro, just to name a few.

• California Chrome still made the 2020 Bloodhorse Stallion Register and is the cover boy for the American Racehorse Magazine Stallion Register. Obviously, American Racehorse had their stallion register in the works way before it was know that Chrome would be sold to Japan, but it still has to be a bit of an irritant to have a stallion on your cover that will be standing in Japan when the breeding season starts.