California Chrome

Comments

• Yeah, was a disappointing first start. I thought about investing in him when he was offered to the public, but when I saw he was bred by Perry and Denise Martin, I thought to myself "nope, I think the chances of them breeding another high caliber stakes horse are slim, I'll pass". Haha.

Art Sherman has a newly turned two-year old he named Chasing Alchemy. No matter what this colt does on the track, he has a great name!

This guy makes his racing debut tomorrow.....Chrome Finish.
    Fairgrounds, MSW, Race 10

Maybe next time, he Had a slow exit from the gate, Tried to stay up with the top 4 runners until the 1st 1/4 pole and then just gave up trying and quickly faded to 6th of 7 horses and stayed there the rest of the race. He's a baby so I'm sure with more training he'll get the hang of things. :D
  • Chrome will have his first Chilean foaled starter in Chile this Saturday.
    Her name is Doña Athenea and she will participate in the third race on Saturday at HIPODROMO CHILE.

Doña Athenea, by CALIFORNIA CHROME (USA, LUCKY PULPIT) out of TONTA TINCUDA (CHI, DYNAMIX)
    Foaled August 30, 2018
  • Per New Hill Farm:
    New Hill Farm home bred, Raving, by California Chrome out of graded stakes winning and producing Dade Babe, heads back to Trade Winds Farm to get geared up for her three year old campaign. She has shown talent in the mornings, excited to see what she can do! Her mama is in foal to Union Rags and she is booked to Candy Ride for 2021!

• edited January 9
    Nice debut for Chrome's first starter in Chile. She finished a strong second.

Chrome will have his first Chilean foaled starter in Chile this Saturday.
    Her name is Doña Athenea and she will participate in the third race on Saturday at HIPODROMO CHILE.

Doña Athenea, by CALIFORNIA CHROME (USA, LUCKY PULPIT) out of TONTA TINCUDA (CHI, DYNAMIX)
    Foaled August 30, 2018

• A year ago Harris Farms reserved the name Ardie the Legend to be registered once they identified a promising youngster. This week the name was registered to the 2018 gelding by California Chrome out of Velvet Mesquite. Ardie the Legend is Velvet Mesquite's only foal, she having passed away a month after his foaling. I hope Ardie fullfills the promise Harris believes they see in him.

Also, of note is this very interesting video of Ardie being introduced to a nurse mare.

• Conformation Photo of Ardie the Legend:
  • Ooooh pretty
  • KaseyKasey Member

Yeah, was a disappointing first start. I thought about investing in him when he was offered to the public, but when I saw he was bred by Perry and Denise Martin, I thought to myself "nope, I think the chances of them breeding another high caliber stakes horse are slim, I'll pass". Haha.

Art Sherman has a newly turned two-year old he named Chasing Alchemy. No matter what this colt does on the track, he has a great name!

This guy makes his racing debut tomorrow.....Chrome Finish.
    Fairgrounds, MSW, Race 10

Maybe next time, he Had a slow exit from the gate, Tried to stay up with the top 4 runners until the 1st 1/4 pole and then just gave up trying and quickly faded to 6th of 7 horses and stayed there the rest of the race. He's a baby so I'm sure with more training he'll get the hang of things. :D
    I guess that is why Harris Farms did not invest in California Chrome.
  • edited February 4
    First time starter, Injera (California Chrome x Snooki (Empire Maker), became the first winner for her sire in France.

All weather track (at Chantilly Racecourse), distance was a 1900 meters (9 furlongs)
    14 horse field
    Trained by Gianluca Bietolini.
    Ridden by Pierre-Charles Budot
    Time at finish was 1:57,42.

• KMMKMM Member
    They are all over the place. B)
  • KMMKMM Member
    I thought he already had a Euro winner.
  • KMM said:

I believe one of his first was Russian? Or was that just a starter?
  • Chrome's very first winner was US bred Sunkar Time who was exported to Russia and won his debut race there. I guess a lot of people don't know or forget that Russia is part of both Europe and Asia. The United Nations has classified it as European, so yes Chrome has already had a Euro runner and winner.
    KMM said:

• KMMKMM Member
    I did look at Chrome’s offspring on pedigree query, and someone is keeping it up to date. There are a few US winners, the Russian and now French winners, and a very nice second in South America.
  • Chrome's very first winner was US bred Sunkar Time who was exported to Russia and won his debut race there. I guess a lot of people don't know or forget that Russia is part of both Europe and Asia. The United Nations has classified it as European, so yes Chrome has already had a Euro runner and winner.

KMM said:

Russia is as @Especially_Horses described as a transcontinental country, a state which is situated on more than one continent. Russia spans the northern part of the Eurasian continent, but in fact 77% of Russia's area is in Asia, while only the western 23% of the country is located in Europe, European Russia occupies almost 40% of Europe's total area.

The russian racing authority is recognised by the International Federation of Horseracing Authorities, but I not sure whether they class them as european.

They are not part of the European pattern race comittee, which controls the classification of black type races in Europe, monitoring the quality of the fields and agreeing when races should be upgraded or downgraded.

The European Pattern Committee (EPC) members are France, Germany, Great Britain and Ireland. The ‘Part 1 countries’ within the International Cataloguing Standards book, often known as the ‘Blue Book’, which lists the world’s black type races.

Any other European country that stages a Group race published in Part I of the Blue Book may become an Associate Member of the EPC. Currently, these are Italy, Scandinavia (covering Denmark, Norway and Sweden) and Turkey.
  • Great information for understanding how Russia lines up in internationally in the horseracing world.
    racingfan said:

Chrome's very first winner was US bred Sunkar Time who was exported to Russia and won his debut race there. I guess a lot of people don't know or forget that Russia is part of both Europe and Asia. The United Nations has classified it as European, so yes Chrome has already had a Euro runner and winner.

KMM said:

Russia is as @Especially_Horses described as a transcontinental country, a state which is situated on more than one continent. Russia spans the northern part of the Eurasian continent, but in fact 77% of Russia's area is in Asia, while only the western 23% of the country is located in Europe, European Russia occupies almost 40% of Europe's total area.

The russian racing authority is recognised by the International Federation of Horseracing Authorities, but I not sure whether they class them as european.

They are not part of the European pattern race comittee, which controls the classification of black type races in Europe, monitoring the quality of the fields and agreeing when races should be upgraded or downgraded.

The European Pattern Committee (EPC) members are France, Germany, Great Britain and Ireland. The ‘Part 1 countries’ within the International Cataloguing Standards book, often known as the ‘Blue Book’, which lists the world’s black type races.

Any other European country that stages a Group race published in Part I of the Blue Book may become an Associate Member of the EPC. Currently, these are Italy, Scandinavia (covering Denmark, Norway and Sweden) and Turkey.
  • KMMKMM Member
    Thanks racingfan!
  • KaseyKasey Member
    Easily said by someone who has never lived near the iron curtain. Sad/
  • Sorry no clue what that previous comment is meant to mean or what it refers to.

Thanks for the video @Especially_Horses , the chantilly maidens are usually quite hotly contested as people try to get races into their maidens, and at this time of year the turf course is like a bog so better to race on the All Weather
  • KMMKMM Member
    I am clueless too racingfan. I also wondered if Kasey is also a breeder as they claimed.