California Chrome

Comments

• I can't help but remember that the lovely Zenyatta went thru the auction ring with a skin ailment....not such a big deal I would think.
  • also theres mosquitos and horse flies around. they can create bumps
  • He's a beauty, that's for sure. I see the "rash" also. Looks like hives, doesn't it? He has a lovely head, and a beautiful eye. He's a great candidate for winning the TC. So much to overcome though; hope he stays sound, and has racing luck in his campaign. As he's racing down the track with his hood on, he looks like a superhero. I've loved him for awhile now, but there's nothing that looks like Big Red. Look at those straight hind legs, that deep, deep chest, that big behind, with the extra muscle running down beside his tail. And last, but not least, that gorgeous head, those wonderful jowls, that huge neck! Everything about him screamed "speed and endurance". Equine perfection. But CC is pretty close.
    I love your description of Secretariat and agree that CC is pretty close, but still not quite as perfect IMO. I do really, really like him though.

• I don't want to get ahead of myself, but I'm hoping for a Zenyatta-like summer and fall. After the TC he comes home to Cali
  • I would love for a California horse to win this derby!
  • Never said he had a skin condition, all I said is that if it IS hives I hope he got some itch relief after the race.
  • KalarKalar Member
    Never said he had a skin condition, all I said is that if it IS hives I hope he got some itch relief after the race.
    I hear ya about the itch relief regardless of the source. Horseflies, et al, can cause those bumps. I'm sure it's nothing.
  • turns out it is nothing cuz in Casey's pics it shows nothing on his leg
  • Never said he had a skin condition, all I said is that if it IS hives I hope he got some itch relief after the race.

I hear ya about the itch relief regardless of the source. Horseflies, et al, can cause those bumps. I'm sure it's nothing.
    Took a look at his thigh from a different angle, turns out the area where the supposed "hives" are is REALLY veiny. So could just be the light playing tricks.
  • KalarKalar Member
    The light can indeed play tricks in pics.
  • Has anyone had a horse that has an itchy spot? I knew a horse with an itchy spot, and it was hilarious! I bet every horse has one, some are just harder to find ;)
  • I think Cali's is under his chin lol
  • Cali Chrome this morning at Los Al

• And to think hes only 3
  • Jr is just awesomely lovely.
  • He is just beautiful...Hey, California Chrome! All The Love from your Northern California fan!
  • What a beautiful photo. Does anyone else besides me think that this colt has an aurora around him?
  • I think Dancing with Fate's win today highlighted CC's outstanding abilities. He does seem to have a special "air" about him, doesn't he?
  • KalarKalar Member
    I think Dancing with Fate's win today highlighted CC's outstanding abilities. He does seem to have a special "air" about him, doesn't he?
    He does indeed! He has the 'it' factor for sure.
  • He has a look to him. He's taking it all in, but somehow knows he has some business to take care of.
  • For those of you interested, California Chrome stands at odds of 5-2 to win the Derby here at the Nevada racebooks. What that means you win $5 for every $2 you risk, so you would get back a total of $7. I'll get a sheet tomorrow and post the odds for all the horses.

I figure that California Chrome will probably go off at odds of 2-1 at post time which is only slightly lower than 5-2. But here's the catch, if you make a future book wager on the Derby and your horse doesn't even start, you lose. No refunds.

So it's not worth taking the risk. I liked that Blue Grass winner today.

• I don't bet, the only reason I like horseracing is because of my grandfather and my unrelenting love for horses. Nothing makes you feel more alive than hearing the sound of dozens of stampeding hooves whirling past you in a shimmering-coated herd. If only I could be at Churchill Downs on Derby Day.
  • youd hate it. overcrowded cant hear anything but the screaming of the people and cant see a dang thing cuz u have a bad spot to see the race. its awful there derby day
  • markinsacmarkinsac Member
    edited April 2014
    Stick to what you do. I bet and at times I wished I didn't. But I've only bet on the horses maybe four times this year, today being one of them. I used to bet every day, but they took too much of my money.

I had a winning day today, but will lay low tomorrow. I want to keep it casual.

But even for a non-better, looking at the horses odds gives you an idea of it's chances in the upcoming race. You may see a horse at 30-1 and say, "I think he has a much better chance than that."
  • Oh of course! I just never put money into it. However. I WOULD pay money to give Junior a smooch on his adorable little velvatine nose.... Might get bit. But worth it! lol