Pioneerof the Nile

I know he's a young stud and doesn't have many runners yet but with his 3 year olds being so good this year I thought he needed a place on this forum.

Comments

• Vinceremos – The Blue Grass Stakes was littered with horses with zero or barely any Kentucky Derby points at all. That should explain why the Arkansas Derby is getting most of the attention for horses that are now on the outside looking in. Vinceremos though could have made a big move. From his position a 4th place finish is all he needed but it was not his day, not even close. Vinceremos is now the leading 20 point contender with a non-graded stakes earnings total of $191,666, most of which was earned at Tampa Bay Downs (Sam F. Davis, TB Derby). He’s down but not out should any two starters withdraw
  • Cairo Prince – I was pretty hard on this colt and his connections after a surprising 4th place finish in the G1 Florida Derby. With the withdraw of the Toast of New York and a few things going his way since, Cairo Prince now owns the last spot in the Kentucky Derby. Will Kiaran McLaughlin send him?
  • ROAD TO THE KENTUCKY DERBY POINT STANDINGS
    through Apr. 12, 2014
    Horse (Sire) Points
    1 California Chrome (Lucky Pulpit) 150
    2 Vicar’s in Trouble (Into Mischief) 120
    3 Dance With Fate (Two Step Salsa) 108
    4 Wicked Strong (Hard Spun) 102
    5 Samraat (Noble Causeway) 100
    6 Danza (Street Boss) 100
    7 Constitution (Tapit) 100
    8 Hoppertunity (Any Given Saturday) 95
    9 Intense Holiday (Harlan’s Holiday) 93
    10 Wildcat Red (D’wildcat) 90
    11 We Miss Artie (Artie Schiller) 60
    12 Ride On Curlin (Curlin) 55
    13 Chitu (Henny Hughes) 54
    14 Tapiture (Tapit) 52
    15 Midnight Hawk (Midnight Lute) 52
    16 Ring Weekend (Tapit) 50
    17 General a Rod (Roman Ruler) 40
    18 Medal Count (Dynaformer) 40
    19 Candy Boy (Candy Ride {Arg}) 30
    20 Cairo Prince (Pioneerof the Nile) 24
    -------------------------------------------------------
    21 Uncle Sigh (Indian Charlie) 24
    22 Vinceremos (Pioneerof the Nile) 20
    23 Harry’s Holiday (Harlan’s Holiday) 20
    24 Commanding Curve (Master Command) 20
    25 Pablo Del Monte (Giant’s Causeway) 20
    26 Bayern (Offlee Wild) 20
    27 Social Inclusion (Harlan’s Holiday) 20
  • Cairo Prince is #7 on this weeks Derby Dozen list: Cairo Prince Kiaran McLaughlin Click Here!

Pioneerof the Nile—Holy Bubbette, by Holy Bull

Now that the dust of the Florida Derby has settled and he is in the top 20, I am moving him up, based on several factors. I’ve watched the Florida Derby numerous times, and each time it hits me a little more how that race was stacked against him, especially coming off a nine-week layoff, no long works, and obviously being a bit short for such a top-class competitive race. He wound up farther back than he’s used to after getting a bit intimidated when General a Rod bumped Constitution right in his path going into the first turn. He then had to be put under pressure early off such a slow pace and make a big four-wide move on the turn to reach contention and then lost ground circling horses turning for home, while the winner cut the corner, gaining a big advantage. I put a watch on him several times from the half-mile pole to the quarter pole and each time I got him in :23 1/5. That was too taxing a next-to-last quarter move going so wide, and he had every right to get tired in the final quarter. But even so, I thought he was striding out well enough and just simply got outrun. In 2005, McLaughlin had Closing Argument go into his final Derby prep, the Blue Grass, off a similar layoff after winning the Holy Bull and off a similar work pattern of four- and five-furlong works. He, too, came up short, finishing third, beaten nine lengths, and then finished second, beaten a half-length, in the Derby at odds of 71-1. And Closing Argument was by a sprinter/miler, out of a mare by a sprinter, so McLaughlin is treading over the same ground, but with a more talented horse with a stronger 1 1/4-mile pedigree. And let’s not forget, he was giving away a good chunk of weight in the Holy Bull and his beaten foes in that race came back to win the Wood Memorial, Risen Star, Bay Shore, and Calder Derby. He is another who could come back to haunt you if you dismiss him off the Florida Derby.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/kentucky-derby-dozen/archive/2014/04/14/derby-dozen-april-14-2014-presented-by-shadwell-farm.aspx#ixzz2ytrrOBee
  • Vinceremos – It appears this guy either hated synthetics or he was outclassed. It is possibly a combination of both. Regardless, I want no part of him on Derby day. In the Blue Grass he broke well and went about six wide into the clubhouse turn. Down the backstretch he was about four wide and four off the pace. He was asked for his run around the far turn and had absolutely nothing to give and he dropped out of it quickly. If he ends up making the cut in Louisville he is a complete toss for me.
  • Cairo Prince (24) (Jockey: Luis Saez)
  • Cairo Prince 12-1 Florida Derby, 3/29 Kentucky Derby, 1 1/4 m JP: Didn't see excuse in Florida Derby, but liked his Holy Bull a lot. Keen to see him work at CD.
    by Pioneerof the Nile 4th by 3 3/4, 93 Churchill Downs, 5/3 MW: The plain truth is, others are simply faster than him right now, and a few significantly so.
    Owner: Godolphin Racing, et al; Trainer: Kiaran McLaughlin; Jockey: Luis Saez
  • Cairo Prince: He’s slated for another work in Florida Sunday, will ship to Churchill Downs on April 22 and will have one work over the track.
  • Vinceremos: He is under consideration if he makes the field.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Cairo Prince Out of KY Derby With Injury
    Holy Bull Stakes (gr. II) winner Cairo Prince has sustained an injury to his left front ankle and will miss the May 3 Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), trainer Kiaran McLaughlin said...
    The Blood-Horse Sat. April 19 2014
  • AAAHHHHHHHHHH All my months of preparation to play Cairo Prince in the Derby!!! I am so upset :(
  • With Cairo Prince out with and injury Vinceremos has entered the Derby field.
  • well at least pioneer of the nile cant sit and watch the derby with one of his offspring in the derby
  • KetaKeta Member
    edited April 2014
    Zayat picks top trainers for 2yos Tuesday, April 22, 2014
    With careful consideration, Zayat Stables' crop of 30 juveniles have been assigned to seven of the top trainers across the North American racing landscape to prepare for their racing careers.
    Positioning the young runners for success, Zayat will have horses with Bob Baffert on the West Coast, Christophe Clement, John Terranova and Michael Wilson on the East Coast, Mark Casse in Canada, and Dale Romans and D. Wayne Lukas in the Midwest.
    The group includes 11 fillies and 19 colts by stallions such as Eskendereya, Maimonides, Pioneerof the Nile, and Zensational, all whom proudly bore Zayat's colors in their racing careers. Others are by top sires Awesome Again, Giant's Causeway,Ghostzapper, Malibu Moon, and Tiznow.
    The full 2-year-old list, with stable assignments, is below. We encourage you to follow our young via our website, Facebook, Twitter, or drf.com's horse watch.
    Zayat Trainer Allocation 2014
    http://www.zayatstables.com/Domains/www.zayatstables.com/CMSFiles/Docs/Zayat Trainer Allocation 2014.pdf
  • KetaKeta Member
    Zayat Stables ‏tweet Tues. April 22 2014
    Excited to announce we have allocated our two year olds to their trainers.
    Happy to welcome to Christophe Clement...

• caseycasey any racetrack with camera in handMember
    I say this Keta- I'm bummed that "my" horse will be on the east coast, so I won't get to meet her. But we need to put "Angel Laura" in our virtual stables. She's the one who has markings similar to Paynter's, is the same color as him, and of course Dr. Laura Javsicas, Paynter's "Angel", is who I named her for.
  • Vinceremos, owned by WinStar Farm and Twin Creeks Racing Stables, was scheduled to arrive at the Pletcher barn after training hours from WinStar, where he had been since the Blue Grass Stakes (GI).
    Pletcher has not confirmed a rider for Vinceremos.
  • SOCIAL INCLUSION (No. 24) - Rontos Racing Stable's Social Inclusion is scheduled to work Thursday morning at Gulfstream Park.
  • Kentucky Derby 140: Backside Buzz with Jill Bryne 4.23.14: