Pioneerof the Nile

Comments

• American Pharoah Bob Baffert

Pioneerof the Nile—Littleprincessemma, by Yankee Gentleman

He shipped to Churchill right after the Arkansas Derby, so he will have a good DEAL of training over the track, much more so than Dortmund who will arrive April 26, not that it will make a whole lot of difference in the long run. Looking again at his pedigree, remember, his broodmare sire’s dam is a half-sister to Shared Belief and his great-grandsire Ecliptical is a half-brother to the dam of Preakness winner Codex. And his broodmare sire traces to one of Darby Dan’s top classic families. On the top side, his sire was second in the Kentucky Derby, his grandsire won the Belmont Stakes, and his great-grandsire won the Kentucky Derby and Breeders’ Cup Classic. Despite what it seems on the surface, there is plenty of pedigree here to carry him 1 1/4 miles, especially now that he’s shown he can rate behind horses. I have to wonder if there is anything he can’t do.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/kentucky-derby-dozen/archive/2015/04/21/derby-dozen-april-21-2015-presented-by-shadwell-farm.aspx#ixzz3Xy7Z9ByO
  • KetaKeta Member
    American Pharoah will keep special foot plate in Derby
    by Jay Privman Daily Racing Form 04/25/2015 2:50PM
    LOUISVILLE, Ky. – American Pharoah has been racing and training with a plate covering part of the sole of his left front foot, and on Saturday, trainer Bob Baffert said he would keep that plate in place for the Kentucky Derby, in which American Pharoah is expected to be the favorite.
    http://www.drf.com/news/preview/american-pharoah-will-keep-special-foot-plate-derby

Barbara Livingston PHOTO
    Interesting footwear for Derby fav American Pharoah.
  • American Pharoah is running May 2nd in the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum Brands. He will be ridden by Victor Espinoza. He is trained by Bob Baffert and owned by Zayat Stables LLC.
  • AMERICAN PHAROAH:

American Pharoah’s sire, Pioneerof the Nile, was second in the 2009 Kentucky Derby – beaten 6 ¾ lengths by longshot Mine That Bird. Although Pioneerof the Nile have never won beyond a mile and one-eighth, he is a son of Empire Maker – who won the Belmont Stakes (gr. I) at a mile and one-half. However, his broodmare sire – Yankee Gentleman – never won beyond a mile and one-sixteenth but is nonetheless out of a half-sister to the dam of champion Shared Belief, who has won at a mile and one-quarter numerous times.

Although American Pharoah finished fifth in his debut at Del Mar last August, he has been untouchable ever since. In just his second lifetime start, he captured the Del Mar Futurity (gr. I) by 4 ¾ lengths. Following an easy victory in the FrontRunner Stakes (gr. I), American Pharoah was set to be the favorite in the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile (gr. I) but injury kept him out of the race, preventing him from making a start again until the Rebel Stakes (gr. II) in March. He returned like he never missed a beat, galloping to a 6 ¼-length victory in the slop in that race before taking the Arkansas Derby (gr. I) by an effortless 8 lengths.

American Pharoah’s final drill for the Derby came on Sunday, five days before the race, when he turned a bullet work for five furlongs at CHURCHILL DOWNS, finishing in 58.40. Despite the fast time, it appeared leisurely for the colt.

While more digging is necessary to find stamina in American Pharoah’s pedigree than it is for many of the contenders, there is plenty of hope that ten furlongs will not be a problem for the colt. More importantly, he appears brilliant enough that – pedigree aside – the distance will not be an issue. This HORSE is wildly talented and the outside post shouldn’t be much of a problem for him. If he truly is the best of this group, we could be in for a treat on Saturday.
  • KMMKMM Member
    The Belmont at a mile and a half might be bigger question for him .
  • shirleeshirlee Member
    Well, now we know he can get the mile and a quarter. The Belmont could be a big problem as some of the others like Materality have great stamina pedigrees and Texas Red might be back by then. I do wish AF the best and would love to see at TC.
  • caseycasey any racetrack with camera in handMember
    Texas Red hasn't had a work yet, he won't make the Belmont, I'm pretty sure
  • Lady of the Nile is running May 10th in the Hastings Handicap. She will be ridden by Leslie Mawing. She is trained by Robert Baze and owned by Valerie Maria Johnson.
  • Nice Number is running May 16th in the Keertana Stakes. She will be ridden by Jesus Lopez Castanon. She is trained by Brad Cox and owned by Right Time Racing LLC.

Note: There will be 2 editions of this race run at Churchill This is the second one of them.
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    Do not look now but my stud fee just went up again. Lol
  • Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
    edited May 2015
    Do not look now but my stud fee just went up again. Lol
    For 2015...Pioneer's stud fee is listed as $60,000 s/n at WinStar Farm. Let's see what his 2016 fee will be...surely $75,000+. Just guessing however. :oP No expert in this area.

Not bad for a young stallion who entered stud in 2010! Now if American Pharoah gets the TC...the sky is the limit for sure for Pioneerof The Nile!
  • Do not look now but my stud fee just went up again. Lol
    If AP pulls this off, his daddy's stud fee will make Tapit's look like pocket change
  • KMMKMM Member
    Sorry, Don'_t think so. Tapit has a long time success as prepotent sire. His resume is outstanding. P. Of N Is. Younger stallion and has many.years before what his overall crops produce. Way to early.to tell.
  • Sorry, Don'_t think so. Tapit has a long time success as prepotent sire. His resume is outstanding. P. Of N Is. Younger stallion and has many.years before what his overall crops produce. Way to early.to tell.
    just saying. Not to offend Tapit. Very good sire. But last year Lucky Pulpits took a big jump and pretty sure P of N's will too.
  • KMMKMM Member
    Sorry. Lucky pulpits? Big jump? Don't think so. Don't mean to sound blunt. Just reality check . tapit stands for "300k this yeae. K
  • KMMKMM Member
    A bit of exaggeration on my Part. Trying to be ironic. Tapit_'s fee is high after several years of delivering.
  • Sorry KMM, big jump from what they were. Not saying they are the sires that Tapit is. But who knows? P of N is young yet.
  • KMMKMM Member
    Tapit is $300,000. Lucky Pulpit jumped a few thousand and probably won't be sustained. Pioneer of Nile is in a different class and let's see the rest of season. Yes his stud fee may go up, but these decisions have to be based on a broader sample than just one successful offspring, albeit Pioneer has many successful offspring. He is on the up.
  • shirleeshirlee Member
    Always interesting to see what having a big winner like this does to the prices and lives of the sire and dam. Tapit is getting so expensive that I would think very few could afford him. Of course, he does sire some magnificent horses.
  • KMMKMM Member
    Tapit was fully booked. Those who want him, can afford his fees. Maybe want is not the right word. Let us just say he has enough demand evidently, to support his fee.
  • Always interesting to see what having a big winner like this does to the prices and lives of the sire and dam. Tapit is getting so expensive that I would think very few could afford him. Of course, he does sire some magnificent horses.
    Right on! I was just jokingly stating that PON fee would jump and make Tapit's look like pocket change. But I honestly do feel if AP wins TC, PON will take a big jump from where it is. He's only been at stud a few seasons. Guess will wait and see. Look what it did for Lucky Pulpit. However, you had people throwing huge offers on the table for Chrome's dam.
  • KMMKMM Member
    Lucky Pulpit's stud fee is nothing to brag about. He is a regional sire with a fluke in California Chrome.
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    blockEdit