Preakness 2014.

Ok so I know the Derby's not over yet but with Preakness preps starting this weekend I figured I would start this discussion now anyway.

Comments

• I have heard that Social Inclusion will run in the Preakness. has anyone else heard this?
  • I heard that too! I think Bayern is headed there as well but I might be wrong!
  • Ciaro Prince out of derby due to ankle injury!
  • Wrong post
  • Wesley Ward trainer of Pablo Del Monte said it he will keep him on the derby trail but it looks like he's training him for the Preakness?
  • Does the Preakness have a point system similar to the Kentucky Derby?
  • No it doesnt
  • How does a horse get in?
  • u just nominate the horse. theres no points to get in same with the belmont. which is why its not fair when u get fresh horses in the race.
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    Each race is a separate thing.....owners/trainers can enter or not...only if they are hunting a Triple Crown must they run all three....
  • yea but u need points to get into the derby whereas you dont for the preakness or belmont
  • KalarKalar Member
    edited April 2014
    It's a TRIPLE Crown event and new horses in the last two legs should not be allowed. The intent is for the KD qualifiers to show their stuff. It's hard to gauge the true abilities of the 3/yo's if new/fresh horses come into the game in the last two legs. No horse in the KD has to win it or the other two legs in order to show how 'game' they are. The KD horses that go on to the Preakness would deserve to win, place, or show for some of the purse. Not fair for a new/fresh horse to take it away from them. Same for those that have gone from KD to Preakness to Belmont. Not fair.

My humble opinion....but I feel very strongly about it.
  • it wont ever change tho, to change the triple crown would upset alot of people
  • KalarKalar Member
    edited April 2014
    it wont ever change tho, to change the triple crown would upset alot of people
    I say let 'em be upset. It started out for the reasons I stated. It should return to that. Maybe that would have a desirable impact on breeding. Owners/trainers can't simply throw a monkey wrench into the works just to get some fame and money. As far as I'm concerned, if a new horse wins ANY PART of the purse, they're frauds....cheaters.
  • From Doug O'Neill Racing Stable facebook: Friendswith K Mill arrived safely yesterday at Churchill Downs. He is slated to run in the Derby Trial. https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/p403x403/10154260_738928582794212_7701489909861430117_n.jpg
  • "Bayern likes this track, so I am going to enter him in the Trial and watch for defections (from the Derby field)," Baffert said. "I think the Trial would set him up for the Preakness well."
  • The field for the Derby Trial, from the rail out, is as follows: Bayern (Napravnik, 118 pounds), Chitu SCRATCHED Big Sugar Soda (Ricardo Santana Jr., 118), Friendswith K Mill (Kent Desormeaux, 118), Matador (Julien Leparoux, 118),Embellishing Bob (Brian Hernandez Jr., 118), Laddie Boy (Stewart Elliott, 118), Bitters ‘n Bourbon (Corey Lanerie, 118), Spot (Velazquez, 120) and Myositis Dan (Joe Rocco Jr., 118).
  • PABLO DEL MONTE (No. 22) -- Susan Magnier, Derrick Smith, Michael Tabor and trainer Wesley Ward’s Pablo Del Monte worked six furlongs in 1:11.20 in company Saturday morning at Keeneland.

John Velazquez rode Pablo Del Monte, who worked in company with High Wire Kitten.

“We broke him off about 15 lengths behind (High Wire Kitten) today, and he kinda creeped up on her and got her at the wire,” Ward told the Keeneland publicity office. “The time was maybe a little quicker than I wanted, but he had a nice breeze.”

Clockers caught Pablo Del Monte in fractions of :47.60, 1:11.20 and out in 1:25.

Ward said Pablo Del Monte likely would ship to Churchill Downs Tuesday evening. If the connections of horses with more points opt not to enter Wednesday, Pablo Del Monte could find a place in the starting gate and become Ward’s first starter in the race.

“It looks like we are waiting for the Preakness (G1), still,” he said, “but you gotta be there and be ready. It would be an honor to be in the race, especially with a horse like him. He just ran a valiant race (in the Blue Grass). (Churchill is) sort of a speed-favoring track, so you gotta be ready. With him being a front-runner, he probably would be on the lead in the race. If you could win or run second or third in the Kentucky Derby, it would just be the thrill of a lifetime.”
  • SOCIAL INCLUSION (No. 24) – Rontos Racing Stable’s Social Inclusion, who worked Thursday at Gulfstream Park, likely will not make the trip to Churchill Downs according to owner Ronald Sanchez.

“At this moment, I don’t think we’ll ship to Kentucky. It doesn’t make sense to pay a $25,000 entry fee, plus all the other expenses, when you’re 24th and also-eligible,” Sanchez told the Gulfstream Park publicity office. “He’s going to train here and then we hope to get a prep for the Preakness. We’ll make a final decision on Monday.”