Preakness 2014.

Comments

• i am pretty sure that i read something about after the derby some of the derby horses are already being pointed towards the Preakness
  • From Doug O'Neill Racing Stable facebook: Good luck to Friendswith K Mill and his connections as he runs later tonight at Churchill Downs in the grade III Derby Trial. The Derby Trial is Race # 8 post time 10:00 p.m. (KY TIME) https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1.0-9/p403x403/10275922_740953079258429_6140732037260783816_n.jpg

(NOTE: The Derby Trial is used as a Preakness prep.)
  • theyre hoping to run Ring Weekend in the preakness
  • So California Chrome will run in the Preakness. Does anyone know who else might/ i heard Social Inclusion might?
  • it wont ever change tho, to change the triple crown would upset alot of people
    that in my opinion is the reason why the horse racing sport is never going to change for the better
  • RachelRachel Member
    Pablo Del Monte is going
  • I heard that Hoppertunity and Bayern are going to be at the Preakness
  • RachelRachel Member
    yup them too.
  • RachelRachel Member
    but CC has already beaten Hoppertunity before
  • And he will beat him again.
  • Question...will Hoppertunity be well enough to race in two weeks?
  • RachelRachel Member
    that is the question lol
  • thats a good question who knows about Hoppertunity i really havent seen that much of Bayern does anyone have information on him i have only seen one of his races?
  • along with Cairo Prince
  • Kalar, originally there was no Triple Crown. The 3 races happened to exist with the Belmont being the oldest race of the 3. The term “Triple Crown” was used for the first time in 1930 after Gallant Fox won all three of these races. The term was coined by sportswriter Charles Hatton of the New York Times. It was retroactively applied back to Sir Barton. In 1920, Samuel Riddle insisted that 1 1/4 miles was too far for a 3 year old to run in early May so he refused to run Man O War in the Derby. He went on to win the Preakness and Belmont as a "fresh starter". I understand your sentiments, but history is really against your thoughts.
  • Kalar, originally there was no Triple Crown. The 3 races happened to exist with the Belmont being the oldest race of the 3. The term “Triple Crown” was used for the first time in 1930 after Gallant Fox won all three of these races. The term was coined by sportswriter Charles Hatton of the New York Times. It was retroactively applied back to Sir Barton. In 1920, Samuel Riddle insisted that 1 1/4 miles was too far for a 3 year old to run in early May so he refused to run Man O War in the Derby. He went on to win the Preakness and Belmont as a "fresh starter". I understand your sentiments, but history is really against your thoughts.
    Excellent assessment, Springsmom83.

Furthermore, in recent years horses that ran in the Derby have not been at a disadvantage in the Preakness. You have to go back to 2006 to find a "fresh" horse that won. That was Bernardini, and he might not have won had Barbaro not been injured. 2009 Preakness winner Rachel Alexandra didn't run in the Derby, but she had won the Oaks the day before so can't be considered fresh. Other than Rachel and Bernardini, every Preakness winner 2001-2013 was in the Derby field. Even if California Chrome doesn't win the Preakness, the winner will just as likely have been a Derby contender as not.

There have been a couple of fresh Belmont winners in the last 10 years or so, but several Belmont winners either ran in the Derby and sklipped the Preakness, or they ran in all three TC races.

The other thing to understand is that racing conditions, including qualifications for entry, are set by each track's racing secretary. Each track that hosts the Triple Crown races is under different ownership and management. Churchill Downs is owned by Churchill Downs Incorporated, Pimlico belongs to the Stronach Group, and Belmont Park is owned by the State of New York and managed by the New York Racing Association. No Derby winner would ever be denied entry into the other TC races, but the tracks are not under any obligation to cooperate to make a Triple Crown more likely.
  • RachelRachel Member
    Untapable not going to preskness. Ride On Curlin is leaning towards the race. Chitu isnt going. Bayern still going to preakness. Hoppertunity is still going thru tests. Commanding Curve is 50-50 about preakness. Wicked Strong not going, nor Samraat nor Uncle Sigh. Social Inclusion has a bruised foot but still in the preakness.
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    When is shared belief coming back. He has had a couple of works
  • RachelRachel Member
    edited May 2014
    no word is out yet but hes not going to be in any of the triple crown races.

Going:

California Chrome
    Social Inclusion
    Dynamic Impact
    Kid Cruz
    Ride On Curlin
    Pablo Del Monte
    Ring Weekend
    Bayern

Uncertain:

Commanding Curve 50/50
    Danza
    Hoppertunity (still being evaluated with his injury)

Not Going:

Untapable
    Tapiture
    WIcked Strong
    Samraat
    Uncle Sigh
    pretty much everyone else in the derby who isnt on the Going list
  • no word is out yet but hes not going to be in any of the triple crown races.

Going:

Social Inclusion
    Dynamic Impact
    Kid Cruz
    Ride On Curlin
    Pablo Del Monte
    Ring Weekend

Uncertain:

Commanding Curve 50/50
    Danza
    Hoppertunity (still being evaluated with his injury)

Not Going:

Untapable
    Tapiture
    WIcked Strong
    Samraat
    Uncle Sigh
    pretty much everyone else in the derby who isnt on the Going list
    you forgot to put Bayern
  • Going:
    Social Inclusion
    Dynamic Impact
    Kid Cruz
    Ride On Curlin
    Pablo Del Monte
    Ring Weekend
    California Chrome
    Bayern
    uncertain
    Commanding Curve 50-50
    Danza
    Hoppertunity
    Not Going:
    Untapable
    Tapiture
    Wicked Strong
    Samraat
    Uncle Sigh
    pretty much evveryone eles in the derby who isnt on the going list
  • RachelRachel Member
    u didnt have to copy everything i said, i edited my post to put Bayern in
  • RachelRachel Member
    i dont get whey u reposted what i just put up as your own
  • Seriously, Rachel edited her post. I don't see that we have to have so many duplicates going up because it gets confusing.