Preakness 2014.

Comments

• Vinceremos is going to the belmont as well
    okay sorry i didnt see the post that you had i knew that he is headed to the Belmont i just didnt put that in my thing just incase you did post it and i didnt see yours sorry about that again
  • Also, Strong Mandate is NOT going in the Preakness so narrow it back down to 8 horses. That picture is invalid lol
    i have him under not going i found that that one kind of shocked me
  • KetaKeta Member
    Hoppertunity Off Triple Crown Trail
    By Claire Novak The Blood-Horse May 5 2014
    Rebel Stakes (gr. II) winner Hoppertunity is off the Triple Crown trail after undergoing minor surgery at Rood & Riddle Equine Hospital near Lexington, Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert confirmed May 5.
    Baffert had already told reporters the 3-year-old son of Any Given Saturday would miss the May 17 Preakness Stakes (gr. I) after bypassing the May 3 Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) due to bruising in his left front foot, but the trainer had an update with additional information regarding the colt's status after hearing from doctors at the Kentucky clinic.
    "It was a combination; his foot had a bruise but when they X-rayed him they saw he had a spur in the fetlock," Baffert said. "It was small but as long as we were going to stop on him, they went ahead and took it out."
    Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/84896/hoppertunity-off-triple-crown-trail#ixzz30ssSfbR5
  • crdolce_777crdolce_777 Member
    edited May 2014
    I'm aware that Cali was gearing down close to the wire, it doesn't change the fact that Commanding Curve passed 17 horses to go from second to last to second place, and still had plenty left in the tank. I don't doubt that Cali could have kept running as well, which is why I said that I think it could be exciting to watch them in a stretch duel over the longer distance. As we have seen many times over the years, even the greatest horses can be beaten. Again, I am not saying that I wish for an upset, only that I believe if any horse (at this point) has a chance to beat Cali, it's Commanding Curve. I think his Derby performance has earned him at least that much respect
  • And I just want to make a comment about the Tapits not being distance runners. True most of them tend to do better at shorter distances. But some are good classic distance runners. All Tapit kids have dams and some of them are themselves good runners or come from stellar families that like distance. Personally, I like many of Tapit daughters over his sons.
    I could not agree with you more!!
  • I'm aware that Cali was gearing down close to the wire, it doesn't change the fact that Commanding Curve passed 18 horses to go from second to last to second place, and still had plenty left in the tank. I don't doubt that Cali could have kept running as well, which is why I said that I think it could be exciting to watch them in a stretch duel over the longer distance. As we have seen many times over the years, even the greatest horses can be beaten. Again, I am not saying that I wish for an upset, only that I believe if any horse (at this point) has a chance to beat Cali, it's Commanding Curve. I think his Derby performance has earned him at least that much respect
    Look i understand all of your reasoning, but i have seen California Chrome race before the Derby with my cousins and i have seen a few of his works in person once again because of my cousins it is just my opinion that he would of kept going if the jockey didnt pull him back its once again my opinion and i love Commanding Curve so i am not trying to take anything away from him
  • At no point did I say Cali would have stopped running or run out of gas. My point has been pretty straight forward: IF a horse is going to challenge Cali, I believe it will be Commanding Curve. I am not saying he WILL beat Cali, only that I believe (due to extra distance, extra rest, running style, etc) he has the best chance of any horse in the potential Belmont field to provide an exciting battle to the wire
  • KetaKeta Member
    Rosario gets Preakness mount
    By Claire Novak | Bloodhorse.com Updated: May 5, 2014
    Joel Rosario, who finished 11th in the Kentucky Derby aboard General a Rod, will have the Preakness Stakes mount aboard Daniel Dougherty's Ride On Curlin in the May 17 race at Pimlico Race Course.
    Trainer Billy Gowan was not happy with the ride Hall of Fame jockey Calvin Borel gave the colt during his seventh-place finish in the Kentucky Derby May 3 at Churchill Downs. Ride On Curlin broke from the No. 19 post and dropped back to last as Borel took the colt straight to the rail.
    "I told him before the race that he had three-eighths of a mile to work his way over," Gowan said.
    Gowan said Ride On Curlin is doing well and would return to the track Wednesday.
    "He was not tired at all after the Derby. He only ran three-eighths of a mile," Gowan said. "He was more tired after his seven-eighths work [April 27]."
    http://espn.go.com/horse-racing/triplecrown2014/story/_/id/10886983/rosario-gets-mount-ride-curlin-preakness

• At no point did I say Cali would have stopped running or run out of gas. My point has been pretty straight forward: IF a horse is going to challenge Cali, I believe it will be Commanding Curve. I am not saying he WILL beat Cali, only that I believe (due to extra distance, extra rest, running style, etc) he has the best chance of any horse in the potential Belmont field to provide an exciting battle to the wire
    okay sorry i miss understood i do believe that Curve will be a tough competitor in the Belmont but here is my concern even though Curve should be able to get the distance if he has a bad trip could he still make his late move turning for home cause they are all going to be tired will his late move be as effective if he is tired will he have the speed and closing rate that he did during the derby? that is the real question
  • I believe Cali would have some competition with Curve in the Belmont. Worried about the distance with Cali some. Think his experience in undertaking more races than the others will help. This is the test of champions and the stayer will prevail. So dearly would love to see a Triple Crown winner. What about Mr Bo RAil? Was his ride that bad? When you have 19 horse shoved into one field, things are going to happen
  • RachelRachel Member
    His ride was bad because he didnt listen to what the owner told him to do
  • I agree Rachel but with a 19 horse field and post position 19 he had to be prepared for things to not go the exact way the owner/trainer wanted. Like I have heard many trainers say when it comes to the Derby. I just have to trust the jockeys since things can always change,
  • RachelRachel Member
    I like Borel, but he has got to find other ways of winning besides on the rail. He has to know that not every derby will he have that winning rail move. It annoys me

okay sorry i miss understood i do believe that Curve will be a tough competitor in the Belmont but here is my concern even though Curve should be able to get the distance if he has a bad trip could he still make his late move turning for home cause they are all going to be tired will his late move be as effective if he is tired will he have the speed and closing rate that he did during the derby? that is the real question
    His trip in the Derby wasn't perfect, he just avoided all the bouncing around with a tightly bunched pack by virtue of his running style, but he was 8 wide coming around the final turn as he was picking past tiring horses. In a smaller Belmont field over a longer distance , the field should be much more stretched out which should only help him. Considering that Curve passed 17 talented 3 year olds, most of whom were tiring over a shorter distance--despite a slower than usual pace--and was still accelerating down the stretch, I can only say one last time what I have been saying all along: his style, pedigree, the extra distance and extra rest will make him he the strongest challenger to Cali.

Now I'll stop beating the...issue...to death ;) Seemed inappropriate to use the other expression!
  • okay gosh i was just saying that even though Commanding Curve will be the hardest competition for Chrome in the Belmont it is my opinion that if Chrome does what he did in the Derby but actually continues to pull a way Commanding Curve will probably be the horse that will be closing on him but i just worry that he might make his move late and if he does could he catch Chrome? i really dont want to fight about this we will see what will happen especially if Chrome makes it through and wins the Preakness
  • No one is fighting, you have asked questions that I have answered to the best of my ability. Time to put this to bed.
  • deal it was just my opinion anyways this is over agreed can we just be happy that Chrome might be able to win the Triple Crown especially if he wins the Preakness?
  • By the way, I have absolutely NO concern about the Preakness distance for California Chrome. My concern really is for the 1 1/2 miles of the Belmont. Concern does NOT equal doubt. He has a jockey that is a great partner for him, he has been hand ridden to victory most times. He can turn his speed on and off better than any horse that I have seen in a long time and that is amazing. He likes to be near the lead, but not on it. If they leaders are going faster than he seems to want to go at the moment he seems to take himself back a little. Espinoza said that he just goes along, the horse dictates what goes on. Those are traits that will help him, especially at the longer distances which I personally think he will need.
  • edited May 2014
    agreed Springsmom83. but the Derby is 10 furlongs and the Belmont is only two furlongs longer so that isnt a worry for me well kind of but he will have many angels from above watching him hopefully like Swaps
  • Also, historically, closers do not do well in the Belmont. Horses that run just off the pace, the stalkers if you will, tend to do better. The true come from behind type runner that goes from last to first and making up 15 to 20 or more lengths does not get the job done a lot of time at the 1 1/2 mile distance.
  • RachelRachel Member
    Ria Antonia is going in the Preakness
  • I like it when the girls take up the challenge! As much as I like Jr, I have to hope for Antonia too!
  • wait the filly who ran in the Oaks? that is great but no offense i wasnt really impressed with her in the oaks i really like her but wasnt impressed with her race