Preakness 2014.

Comments

• Also, historically, closers do not do well in the Belmont. Horses that run just off the pace, the stalkers if you will, tend to do better. The true come from behind type runner that goes from last to first and making up 15 to 20 or more lengths does not get the job done a lot of time at the 1 1/2 mile distance.
    So since Chrome runs right off the pace cause he doesnt lead but he stalks the leaders wouldnt that play out in his advantage?
  • RachelRachel Member
    shes still a nice filly, shes been meaning to take on the boys for a while now. was supposed to go in the derby but went into the oaks instead. lets see where she ends up on the board
  • http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/84906/ria-antonia-moved-to-amoss-eyes-preakness
    I love it when girls take on the boys and she's a nice filly but she hasn't really done much this year?
  • RachelRachel Member
    http://www.drf.com/news/preakness-ria-antonia-take-boys

yup, not with Baffert anymore either
  • RachelRachel Member
    but judging by the comments, alot of people are not happy with the decision. saying shes out of her league and thats too much for her
  • RachelRachel Member
    word is, Baffert balked at the idea of Ria Antonia going in the Preakness. Guess Ria's owner then decided to change trainers
  • Yeah, well a lot of people say a lot of things. If her people think she's got a chance at all, why not!
  • ZenyattaRules, yes. His running style would set up more positively. 2 furlongs is a quarter of a mile. Tapiture looked quite good at the mile (8 furlongs). 2 furlongs later he was cooked. That is the difference between a good miler and a good distance horse. Most horses are bred to be milers these days. They can get a mile and an eighth, but much further is quite a stretch. Those extra 2 furlongs on a tired horse will truly show pedigree issues on a good miler.
    Supposedly Ria's owner said that there are not a lot of summer races in Southern Cal for 3 year old fillies so he did not see any sense in sending her back to be flown back and forth across the country to race. I just feel like he is trainer swapping over and over because he is over placing the filly and blaming the trainer and jockey for her short comings. Just my opinion.
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    I think Ria Antonia's owner is a mental case....he dumped one trainer earlier this yr....now dumped BB....hope Amoss knows....running her back in 2 wks off a poor showing in the Oaks...yuk
  • RachelRachel Member
    edited May 2014
    i think thats the case too. his original trainer didnt want to go with him cuz he had another barn to attend to so he switched trainers then as well. now with baffert for a little bit, baffert balks at the idea of going to the preakness so he switches to Amoss. i dont think shell win the Preakness but i dont really like this switching trainers deal hes got going on. its stressful for the horse cuz each trainer has a different way of training not to mention location. poor antonia
  • So is Ria going into the Preakness or not
  • RachelRachel Member
    she is. thats what all the hoopla is about
  • RachelRachel Member
    edited May 2014
    Ring Weekend's preakness status to be determined after he works this saturday

Social Inclusion will van from Gulfstream to Pimlico, should be there by Thursday. He still has a bruised foot but hasnt been ruled out yet
  • No wonder
  • KayJayKayJay Member
    Rick Violette on Samraat and the Preakness according to TVG; "We will reconsider going to the Preakness if California Chrome doesn't go for some reason because we are just as good as everybody else."
  • Possible contenders for the Preakness according to the official Preakness website: http://www.preakness.com/race-info/contenders
  • KayJayKayJay Member
    I think Ria Antonia's owner is NOT thinking clearly. Your first priority should be for the horse and what is best for her. Ria couldn't hang with Untapable, she most definitely will not be able to go with CC. Bob Baffert knew this. Say what you will about him but in this case Bob was taking care of the horse. Some of the finest 3yr. old male horses in the country took on CC in the Derby and couldn't get it done and these owners think Ria can (?). Untapable isn't going to try and SHE would at least have a chance. Time to face reality, Ria is a good horse, but she isn't a great horse and she doesn't have what it takes to beat, IMO, a horse like CC. Better horses have tried and lost. I like Tom Amoss but a different trainer isn't going to make your horse better, it's not magic.
  • I think Ria Antonia's owner is NOT thinking clearly. Your first priority should be for the horse and what is best for her. Ria couldn't hang with Untapable, she most definitely will not be able to go with CC. Bob Baffert knew this. Say what you will about him but in this case Bob was taking care of the horse. Some of the finest 3yr. old male horses in the country took on CC in the Derby and couldn't get it done and these owners think Ria can (?). Untapable isn't going to try and SHE would at least have a chance. Time to face reality, Ria is a good horse, but she isn't a great horse and she doesn't have what it takes to beat, IMO, a horse like CC. Better horses have tried and lost. I like Tom Amoss but a different trainer isn't going to make your horse better, it's not magic.
    I agree KayJay I think they just want her to get the Eclipse award for 3 year old filly If Not the Horse Of The Year award.
  • KalarKalar Member
    edited May 2014
    Also, historically, closers do not do well in the Belmont. Horses that run just off the pace, the stalkers if you will, tend to do better. The true come from behind type runner that goes from last to first and making up 15 to 20 or more lengths does not get the job done a lot of time at the 1 1/2 mile distance.

So since Chrome runs right off the pace cause he doesnt lead but he stalks the leaders wouldnt that play out in his advantage?
    I think it depends on the pace and post position although there's not as much of a concern about the latter since only 14 horses can run in the Preakness and 4 or 5 slots still open. There was a lot of hype about the speed horses in the KD that didn't pan out. I was a bit shocked that Uncle Sigh was the pacesetter and no one challenged him. With the new shooters in the Preakness and nearly all of the KD contenders not coming back, I have no clue what the pace will be like. I also don't know what Espinoza will do if it's a hot pace and Chrome with only two weeks of rest and the Belmont to think about.

Edited to add: Breaking well is primary, just like he did in the KD. If he can get the lead and control the pace, he'll win. If he misses the break, he could get trapped....which was a concern in the KD, but he broke well so that ended that. :) I hope he doesn't get the outside couple of posts. He'll have to burn some of his energy to get out toward the lead and avoid traffic and having to go wide.
  • KayJayKayJay Member
    I think Ria Antonia's owner is NOT thinking clearly. Your first priority should be for the horse and what is best for her. Ria couldn't hang with Untapable, she most definitely will not be able to go with CC. Bob Baffert knew this. Say what you will about him but in this case Bob was taking care of the horse. Some of the finest 3yr. old male horses in the country took on CC in the Derby and couldn't get it done and these owners think Ria can (?). Untapable isn't going to try and SHE would at least have a chance. Time to face reality, Ria is a good horse, but she isn't a great horse and she doesn't have what it takes to beat, IMO, a horse like CC. Better horses have tried and lost. I like Tom Amoss but a different trainer isn't going to make your horse better, it's not magic.

I agree KayJay I think they just want her to get the Eclipse award for 3 year old filly If Not the Horse Of The Year award.
    = [ QZF20, Never thought of that. You are probably right. I just hope they don't ruin Ria in their pursuit of personal glory because what does the horse care about Eclipse awards.
  • I agree with all of you guys which is why i am not quoting everything that you guys have all said. I like Ria Antonia especially with Mike Smith aboard but here the thing Ria is NO Rachel Alexandra or Zenyatta or even Azeri all who raced against the boys and were amazing. But the two main points are that Ria is NO Rachel Alexandra and she is defiantly NO Zenyatta i agree with Kay Jay who said that they are just entering her in their pursuit of personal glory instead of the horse's actual interest and my opinion they are stupid for getting rid of Bob Baffert as their trainer. Bob Baffert and Todd Pletcher are my two favorite trainers and they are stupid for getting rid of Baffert
  • i know that this has nothing to do with this but i just wanted to give people a heads up i posted a new forum called Horrible Horse Stories That Have Happy Endings it has my personal stories of my six horses that i have it is a forum were if you have heard about horrible stories dealing with horses you can share or if you have your own personal horse stories please check it out