Breeding Date and Process

ninjabarbninjabarb Member
edited April 2012 in Zenyatta
Has a breeding date been set for Tapit?????? Hope Z12 will be OK when Mom leaves him!!!!!! Most important that the breeding goes well for Zen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• I read she would be bred in April. I guess that's how they do it when you are a Brood Mare. Little Prince will be weaned at 5 months!! I know, it seemed early to me but they have to do it this way because the gestation is 11 months and they don't want the next little one born to late in the year. April breeding makes a March foal.
  • This is a standard practice for broodmares. They breed them back on their first cycle after foaling. All part of the process.
  • And some breed them back on their foal heat which is only about 9 days after they foal. Zenny will be bred again when she has her first full cycle in April which will put her having her next foal in March 2013.
  • Tapit excellent choice good blood lines Will be interesting to see color of foal Zen will have Gainsway is a top breeding farm in Ky
  • I trust in the experts' judgement, I think it's a bit early myself but I'm sure the Mosses have their reasons. Besides! Tapit is a wonderful horse (Az is Qyeen Z) I'm sure they will produce a wonderful foal.
  • MargaretMargaret Member
    edited March 2012
    As long as Z foaled with no complications (no tearing, no retained placenta etc) waiting a month is just fine. They could have bred her back her back on her foal heat but chose to wait.

Horses are different than people. I think it's easy to put ourselves in her place and not want a thing to do with a pregnancy on top of one. But you need to think about what mother nature has provided for horses. In the wilds Z would be bred back on her foal Hear to perpetuate the species. Mother Nature provided ways for her foal so she can handle that second pregnancy.

It's all very complicated by hormones and whatnot. And with the science we have today we can easily have her wait and still get into foal. And in the wild Z would not necessarily have her choice of stallions. She would be bred by her band stallion who may or may not be her first choice! Ginger Kathrens has caught a number of mares leaving their stallions and returning to there former bands.
  • 5 months should be just fine. Provided 12Z is of good size, appropriate weight and is eating on his own--he actually becomes a drain on Z. He'll nurse more for comfort (like a bottle at night) than for need. He needs mama NOW.

Should he be small or otherwise not ready--I'm sire LE's would take that into consideration and wait.

This is why it's so important to have experienced foaling people teaching the ropes to the next group of employees. This ensures that no lapse in care will happen. This is where judgement comes in and what grooms see vs. what they don't.
    I read she would be bred in April. I guess that's how they do it when you are a Brood Mare. Little Prince will be weaned at 5 months!! I know, it seemed early to me but they have to do it this way because the gestation is 11 months and they don't want the next little one born to late in the year. April breeding makes a March foal.
  • April 1 is the Queen's birthday, she'll be officially 8 on that day.
    Double celebration, new courtier to the Queen.
    g
  • wow!!! have not named the first little one and we are OFF for the next. I guess that is how it is done in the racing field. Just as long as Zen is well and happy I guess it is just the way it is.
  • wow!!! have not named the first little one and we are OFF for the next. I guess that is how it is done in the racing field. Just as long as Zen is well and happy I guess it is just the way it is.
    My thoughts exactly ^^

• Such is the life of a brood mare. I know stallions are retired from breeding when they don't get mares in foal anymore, I wonder is there is a cut off age for mares as well?
  • Yeah, when the mare has too many complications with pregancy and birth they usually stop breeding her.....By the looks of things we have a chestnut on our hands with Zenny!
    Such is the life of a brood mare. I know stallions are retired from breeding when they don't get mares in foal anymore, I wonder is there is a cut off age for mares as well?
  • caseycasey any racetrack with camera in handMember
    For all who are worried about breeding back after just foaling, I work with an equine vet and I posed this question to him so I would have accurate information. Mares do better when they are kept in foal- if you skip a year, she becomes harder to regulate, harder to get in foal again. They begin to drop eggs making it harder to get in foal. The Lane's End staff & the Moss' know their business so please trust them
  • You're right Gavovo, April 1 is the Queen's birthday, she'll be officially 8 on that day.
    Hmm, how shall I celebrate.
    Maybe I'll throw a Queen size birthday party for my own horses on the patio table. They love it. We can sing Happy Birthday to the Queen.
  • For those who are interested in the life of broodmares, there is a great book I read many years ago called "Blessed are the Broodmares" by M. Phyllis Lose, VMD. Amazon has the 2nd edition (1991) for sale http://www.amazon.com/Blessed-Brood-Howell-Equestrian-Library/dp/0876058489/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332556976&sr=8-1

Are there any other books that are recommended?
  • Queen Z seems to be in good health as does little z. So this is normal for a brood mare to be bred back during her first heat cycle. I'm glad she wasn't bred back during her foal heat. Timing is so important in breeding, you prefer to have a foal born early in the year rather than having the foal play catch up for the first few years of its life. Tapit should be a good cross with Zenny. The only concern is the actual breeding to Tapit with little z being with her. I'm sure with all the professionals handling the breeding little z will be in good hands. He'll have his first trailer ride and a trip to a new location, many firsts in his young life. Would love to see a video of him moving now that he is a couple of weeks old. Bernie is such a handsome stallion and of course the Queen, I bet the colt will look like poetry in motion!
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    according to what has been written here by folks who know a whole lot more than me...Tapit lives about 30min from Z...she and baby Z will go for a visit....a couple hrs they are home...Baby Z stays outside while Z meets Tapit....another poss because they live close is that she goes for visit and is back in a couple hrs and baby Z stays home...but lets see what everyone else thinks
  • I haven't been to the breeding facilities at Gainesway, it was pouring down rain when we went so we had to huddle into their cute little stud barns (so cute, a block of 4 stalls with a wash space in the middle on either side. Nice!) so I can't say for certain what they've got there. In any case, Gainesway is a half hour away from Lane's End, so Zenyatta will be gone, at the most an hour or two. Either they'll take the foal with her and he'll stay on the trailer or he'll stay home in the stall. It's a very brief separation anyway.
  • EriNCEriNC Member
    They usually wait to breed again until after the foal has been weaned. Because if she gets pregnant while still nursing some of the hormones can cause problems for the foal.
  • They usually wait to breed again until after the foal has been weaned. Because if she gets pregnant while still nursing some of the hormones can cause problems for the foal.
    No. That's not the case. Waiting until after the foal is weaned would mean she would be bred in August or September. And that's waaaay past the Kentucky breeding season. Horses have been designed, by nature, and evolution, to allow for a simultaneous pregnancy when a mare still has a foal at heel without causing problems or issues for a nursing foal.
  • I have to share something "CUTE". I link Z's stuff to my FB page. To my surprise these links are getting lots of hits from friends who I never thought followed racing.
    In fact, at at social gathering last evening a woman I know from church saw me and said here's a "high hoof" for Zenny and her foal. Little did I know she has been reading everything and loves the great mare and her little one. It made my day!
    I've had male friends comment on my FB page, too, about all things Zenyatta.
    I tell you, the world is in need for some lightness and joy...The Queen brings both to anyone who has his/her eyes and heart open.
  • Today, Queen Z's birthday, was it not also her "date" with her new beau, Tapit?
    Now Z's actually 8. gavovo
  • I heard from a reliable source that she went to him yesterday, March 31. Source was not 100% sure but was pretty confident in his information.
  • Zenny is such a good mom. I hope she delivers another healthy foal next year.
  • I have a feeling we aren't going to know UNTIL Z is at the 60 day mark. Best not to worry it until we hear.

For those that weren't here last year mares can lose their pregnancies early on. So rather than upset everyone there'll wait and announce it once the baby is pretty secure in there.