Best Race Horses of All Time

AmylizmAmylizm Member
edited April 2014 in General Interest
List your choices for the best racehorses of all time can be coed lists or separate lists

Comments

• markinsacmarkinsac Member
    edited April 2014
    Amy, welcome to the forum . . .

The topic you raised is quite interesting. But like Baseball teams or football teams, it's hard to come up with consensus because horses or teams from the past haven't faced others from different eras.

BLACK CAVIAR AND PEPPERS PRIDE HAVE THE BEST OVERALL RECORDS

Black Caviar and Peppers Pride went undefeated in their careers which is astonishing. But BC raced strictly against sprinters and PP only raced against New Mexico breds.

MAN 'O WAR AND ZENYATTA LOST ONLY ONE RACE IN TWENTY STARTS

Both of these great horses faced top-caliber competition. They were divided by a century and it's hard to compare. So I'd say they are somewhat equal.

SECRETARIAT PROBABLY HAD THE GREATEST INDIVIDUAL EFFORT IN THE BELMONT STAKES

His 34-length victory shattered the world record for a mile and a half.

ZENYATTA AND SECRETARIAT WERE SUPERSTARS

Not only did these greats perform on the track, but they drew a following that helped revive the sport.

So I personally narrow it down to these three. Others may disagree.
  • blankblank Member
    My #1 spot is held by Spectacular Bid. There wasn't too much he couldn't do on the track. After that my list is too scattered to place in order... lol

I do have a sentimental favourite, a horse named Buzz Barton, who came in at 99-1 for me a few years ago, when I placed a sucker bet on him to win. That horse.. I love that horse to this day!
  • The 'Bid surely was great. But I try to give credit to horses I've never seen race. So I have to throw in Man O' War and Secretariat.
  • Cant forget Seabiscuit or Black Gold
  • I may be WAY off on this, but wasn't Black Gold just a fictional character?
  • no Black Gold was a real horse
  • RachelRachel Member
    edited April 2014
    the horse's story is a tragic one, Black Gold ended up breaking down in a race.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Gold_(horse)

hes burried at Fairgrounds next to his dams rival, Pan Zareta

he won the derby in 1924, back when it was called the Golden Jubilee Derby
  • Thanks Rachel. I knew I had read a book about him a long time ago.
  • the Black Gold stakes is run in his honor
  • Like Mark has pointed out, what criteria do you use?

From a record/achievement point of view for me Goldikova and Black Caviar who both shipped internationally, competed against top horses internationally and beat them, that makes them great in my eyes.

Sunday Silence for his classic wins and BC win and then his strength in the breeding shed is my all time top all around race horse.

Ruffian is a sentimental favorite.

Rachel Alexandra for what she accomplished in the Woodward alone.
  • Yeah, I figured we'd hear A LOT of different names on this one. Keep them coming and try to give a reasoning behind your thinking, that helps . . .
  • Sunday Silence Woot! Woot! My all time favorite. Sorry, he makes me giddy! LOL
  • His success in the breeding shed is primary for me. Every time one of his children or grandchildren do good, I still get chills. He was a beast!

• OK, that's a good reason. BTW, Secretariat wasn't all that great of a sire. Good one, but not great.
  • The thing about Ruffian is she probably more than any other horse wanted to be on the lead at all times. And she possessed a ton of speed to do it.

She was impossible to pass.

• OK, that's a good reason. BTW, Secretariat wasn't all that great of a sire. Good one, but not great.
    Eh, I'd argue that with you Mark. True, he never duplicated or improved upon himself through his colts but he did establish himself as a strong broodmare sire.

• markinsacmarkinsac Member
    edited April 2014
    I was thinking for as great as he performed on the track, others did better in retirement like Seattle Slew and Alydar. And, yes, his baby girls were better than his baby boys.

Louise made a point that breeding matters too and picked Sunday Silence.

Like I said, there will be many opinions.
  • And his two grandsons AP Indy and Storm Cat are arguably the influential sires of note in today's Thoroughbred lines, which is more along the lines of what I was thinking.

I don't think it was possible for Big Red to reproduce himself on the track but yes, his fillies did better than his colts. However I was thinking more that it's having Secretariat as a broodmare sire that really solidified his legacy.
  • his bloodline is found still today thru recent horses. in this years past yearling and broodmare sales ive seen his name up close in quite a few pedigrees. he even still has a daughter producing!
  • I'm certainly not trying to knock any horse, just trying to reason all the different components of "The Greatest Horse of All Time."
  • Which, in my opinion, is impossible.

Because the criteria we use for today's Thoroughbred, does not stand up to the criteria we may use for the Thoroughbred of the 30s / 40s and visa versa.

You can't look at any one horse and say "S/he would be the greatest on any track in any time against any comer" the bar has shifted around too much.
  • Ok, then the question is why has the thoroughbred changed so much over the decades?

In particular, why in the last 40 years? Have baseball players or dogs or non-racing horses changed?
  • Trick question Mark.

Drugs
  • Well, actually baseball players DID change like thoroughbreds. Mark McGuire, Jose Canseco and Barry Bonds changed a lot. I don't think it's fair to Hank Aaron or Babe Ruth that BB took over the most coveted record in all of sports, the Home Run King.

Drugs
  • I was thinking for as great as he performed on the track, others did better in retirement like Seattle Slew and Alydar. And, yes, his baby girls were better than his baby boys.

Louise made a point that breeding matters too and picked Sunday Silence.

Like I said, there will be many opinions.
    Actually, Zenyen pointed out that breeding matters before I did, but I wholeheartedly agree!