Best Race Horses of All Time

Comments

• voting in my forum Who Will Win The 2014 Kentucky Derby for round 2 is over in about 6 minutes round 3 will be starting as well and then i will post the trivia questions make sure you vote and do the trivia you get a reward if you are one of the three first people to send me your answers and if they are right
  • I really liked Sham better than Secretariat, but . . . . .
  • We've only had 11 winners of the triple crown. Alydar would of just been the 11th not the 13th. Affirmed was the last triple crown winner we've had. Ill Have Another was trying to become the 12th
  • slewpyslewpy Member
    edited April 2014
    What I meant was, if Sham and Alydar ran in another year than Red and Affirmed, there would be 13 winners. Because no one beat these 2 in all the TC races except the TC winners.

I liked Sham too. He ran his heart out and I felt bad for him.
  • Indeed, too bad history didnt work out that way
  • Sham finished last in the Belmont Stakes. He wouldn't have been a TC winner.
  • I think Easy Goer is another overshadowed horse. Like his dad Alydar, he was overshadowed by his arch rival.

I will always think Easy Goer was better than Sunday Silence. Easy Goer is also really high on my list of great horses. He could have been legendary.
  • The reason for that is he was instructed to run the daylights out of Secretariat. Lot of good that did lol
  • markinsacmarkinsac Member
    edited April 2014
    EASY GOER vs SUNDAY SILENCE, PREAKNESS, NO EXCUSES

SS won 3 out of 4 and was a better sire.

Enough said.

• I can understand Alydar or Easy Goer being born in the wrong year, but Sham wasn't one of the "Best Racehorses of All Time."
  • I will always love Easy Goer more than Sunday Silence. No changing my mind. And Easy Goer died at 8. He never got a good chance to be a great sire.
  • Not saying Sunday Silence wasn't great, because he was. He was a truly tremendous horse and is one of the greats.
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    I agree that both Sham and Alydar would probably won TC if born a different yr....possibly Easy Goer also......
    But Secretariats best foal has to be his HOTY daughter Lady's Secret....IMO
  • Sham didn't finish second in all TC races, he finished last in the Belmont. I'm not hating on him, just trying to get the record straight. This thread is titled "The Best Race Horses of All Time." I feel it's a disservice to many of the greats who gave their all and won so many top races to have Sham listed above them.
  • Sham finished last in the Belmont Stakes. He wouldn't have been a TC winner.
    the only reason that he finished last was because of how hard he pushed Secretariat in the Belmont
  • Easy Goer supporters always have a list of excuses.

Nothing wrong with loving one more than the other, but who was best? I think SS proved that.
  • I agree that both Sham and Alydar would probably won TC if born a different yr....possibly Easy Goer also......
    But Secretariats best foal has to be his HOTY daughter Lady's Secret....IMO
    if I'll Have Another wasnt scratched in 2012 we could of had another triple crown winner i had a strong feeling that he would of won

• What top races did Sham win?

• I can understand Alydar or Easy Goer being born in the wrong year, but Sham wasn't one of the "Best Racehorses of All Time."
    Sham was one of the best racehorses sure he didnt win the triple crown races or what he rates up there with the others i am a huge fan of Sham and Secretariat and it bugs me when people say that he isnt one of the best racehorses when he deserves to be one

• if I'll Have Another wasnt scratched in 2012 we could of had another triple crown winner i had a strong feeling that he would of won

Yeah, darn that pesky holding barn with it's tight security.

• Sham isn't close to being one of the best. He was good, but horses like Spectacular Bid, Affirmed, Seattle Slew, Dr. Fager, Sunday Silence, Easy Goer, etc would use him as a salty snack. I admire Sham and I wish he had a chance to prove himself, but he simply never had the chance. It's like saying Barbaro would have beaten Bernardini; we will never know.
  • Zenyatta Rules, I have no problem with your list EXCEPT ONE: You placed SHAM 7th place of the males. I don't think he belongs there.

I didnt list them in any order i just put down their names. Here is the list where they actually rate in my opinion
    Males:
    1. Secretariat
    2. Sham
    3. Affirmed
    4. Seattle Slew
    5. Sunday Silence
    6. Alysheba
    7. Alydar
    8. Man O'War
    9. War Admiral
    10. Cigar
    11. Citation
    12. Seabisuit
    Females:
    1. Zenyatta
    2. Ruffian
    3. Black Caviar
    4. Goldikova
    5. Pepper's Pride
    6. Rachel Alexandra
    7. Personal Ensign
    8. Azeri
    9. Genuine Risk
    10. Winning Colors
    11. Rags To Riches
    12. Lady's Secret
    You listed Sham ahead of Affirmed, Seattle Slew, Sunday Silence, Alydar, Alysheba, Man O' War, etc.

I DOUBT THAT!
  • Sham isn't close to being one of the best. He was good, but horses like Spectacular Bid, Affirmed, Seattle Slew, Dr. Fager, Sunday Silence, Easy Goer, etc would use him as a salty snack. I admire Sham and I wish he had a chance to prove himself, but he simply never had the chance. It's like saying Barbaro would have beaten Bernardini; we will never know.
    It is my opinion i think he is one of the top thoroughbreds of his time its MY OPINION i dont rate him with Spectacular Bid, Affirmed, Seattle Slew, Sunday Silence, Easy Goer, or even Secretariat its my opinion that he was a great racehorse

• Equivocating love for greatness isn't too rational.
  • Zenyatta Rules, I have no problem with your list EXCEPT ONE: You placed SHAM 7th place of the males. I don't think he belongs there.

I didnt list them in any order i just put down their names. Here is the list where they actually rate in my opinion
    Males:
    1. Secretariat
    2. Sham
    3. Affirmed
    4. Seattle Slew
    5. Sunday Silence
    6. Alysheba
    7. Alydar
    8. Man O'War
    9. War Admiral
    10. Cigar
    11. Citation
    12. Seabisuit
    Females:
    1. Zenyatta
    2. Ruffian
    3. Black Caviar
    4. Goldikova
    5. Pepper's Pride
    6. Rachel Alexandra
    7. Personal Ensign
    8. Azeri
    9. Genuine Risk
    10. Winning Colors
    11. Rags To Riches
    12. Lady's Secret

You listed Sham ahead of Affirmed, Seattle Slew, Sunday Silence, Alydar, Alysheba, Man O' War, etc.

I DOUBT THAT!
    i forgot to change the way i rated them cause one Sham does under Affirmed, Seattle Slew, Sunday Silence, Alydar, Alysheba, and Man O'War i am open to my own opinion im so sorry i should of listed them diferently sorry