Best Race Horses of All Time

Comments

• First you posted a list in which you place Sham in 2nd place, then you say you didn't say that. If you were a defendant, you'd be in big trouble right now.
  • I'm confused, you ranked Sham as # 2 ahead of all the horses mentioned in your rankings? We're all entitled to our opinions, though. Just like how it's my opinion that Easy Goer was the better horse, Bernardini would have beaten Barbaro, etc. That's the beauty of having opinions, we can all have our own individual ones and they are not necessarily right or wrong.

• Equivocating love for greatness isn't too rational.
    what does that mean? i love all of the horses i listed why does it matter how i listed them i love them all that i listed Sham never compares to the other greats like Sunday Silence, Secretariat, Seattle Slew, Alydar, Alysheba, Affirmed
  • Not sure if IHA would have won the Belmont because there was something very suspicious about his withdrawal from the Belmont. I never believed the reason he was withdrawn.
  • I'm confused, you ranked Sham as # 2 ahead of all the horses mentioned in your rankings? We're all entitled to our opinions, though. Just like how it's my opinion that Easy Goer was the better horse, Bernardini would have beaten Barbaro, etc. That's the beauty of having opinions, we can all have our own individual ones and they are not necessarily right or wrong.
    i forgot to switch my rankings if i would of payed attention to my rating Sham would of been down lower cause one nobody compares to Sunday Silence, Easy Goer, and all of the others but in my opinion he does rate about some of the other so called great horses like Seabiscuit he wasnt that great of a horse in his career at the beginning

• Not sure if IHA would have won the Belmont because there was something very suspicious about his withdrawal from the Belmont. I never believed the reason he was withdrawn.
    what do you think his reasoning was i mean he got hurt during a workout didnt he?
    Indeed.
  • First you posted a list in which you place Sham in 2nd place, then you say you didn't say that. If you were a defendant, you'd be in big trouble right now.
    like i said i wasnt paying attention i was just typing it happens it is called a MISTAKE

Indeed.
    what do you think the reasoning was?

i forgot to switch my rankings if i would of payed attention to my rating Sham would of been down lower cause one nobody compares to Sunday Silence, Easy Goer, and all of the others but in my opinion he does rate about some of the other so called great horses like Seabiscuit he wasnt that great of a horse in his career at the beginning

Well that explanation makes much more sense. Some of us are purists with rigid opinions. Of course, I'm not one of them.

Thank you for clearing that up.

• Remember that I'll Have Another had a shady trainer... There was no doubt in my mind I'll Have Another was going to win, but I'm afraid I'm letting my heart talk rather than my head.
  • markinsacmarkinsac Member
    edited April 2014
    Steven Crist who writes for the Daily Racing Form, back in the day was one of Easy Goer's biggest fans. He wrote long articles before the Triple Crown on how EG was destined to become one of the sport's greatest. He was almost right. In fact Easy Goer had one more chance to prove he was better than SS in the Breeders' Cup Classic 1989, one of the sport's greatest races of all time:

But even though EG lost the BC Classic, he never stopped loving his horse. However, he did cast his vote for Horse of the Year for Sunday Silence.
  • This is just me. I didn't trust IHA's Derby or Preakness win because he had a shady trainer with a long record of illegal activity. NY is very strict about drug use and monitoring. The flak began over the nasal strip. I think the trainer was looking for a way out of the Belmont because he may have been discovered doing something illegal. And without doing something illegal, the trainer knew that IHA couldn't win. Big Brown also couldn't win in NY according to the rules but don't think anything shady happened there. He just couldn't overcome the rules.
  • ZenyenZenyen Member
    edited April 2014
    Not sure if IHA would have won the Belmont because there was something very suspicious about his withdrawal from the Belmont. I never believed the reason he was withdrawn.

Indeed.

what do you think the reasoning was?
    This is opinion only mind you but given the way his Belmont prep went, the 'dark' training, the easy gallops and ultimately the way he was scratched, it is my opinion that the damage to his suspensory system was already know to O'Neill.

IHA was already running on a 'feel good' cocktail and when he was placed in the holding barn with the tight security where they couldn't get him his 'feel good' cocktail, they could no longer mask the injury.

So wha lah out of the blue here is this sudden injury, where did that come from oh my ... yeah, they knew the horse wasn't sound enough to hold up to a mile and a half on Big Sandy before they shipped to NY.
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    edited April 2014
    If you just take the Derby.......Sham still has the second fastest....of all time....ahead of all but Sec
  • It is quoted by Paul Moran, and many people, including myself, agree that "Sunday Silence is the Horse of the Year, but most still believe Easy Goer is the better horse."

Sunday Silence earned Horse of the Year, and was completely worthy of the honor.
  • If you just take the Derby.......Sham still has the second fastest....of all time....ahead of all but Sec
    exactly and Sham did win the Santa Anita Derby, Santa Catalina S, Wood Memorial Stakes
    it is once again my opinion about him
  • That's why I posted the Preakness Stakes. SS and EG entered the stretch on even terms, battled the length of the stretch. No excuses. SS came out on top by a whisker, but a whisker is good enough.

I don't fault you for your opinion, we just disagree.
  • I don't think Sham won the Wood Memorial, I think Angle Light did.
  • ik I still love all of the greats and to me Sham is apart of the horses that i rank as one of the greatest
  • Exactly. I take nothing away from Sunday Silence, he was amazing.
  • It is quoted by Paul Moran, and many people, including myself, agree that "Sunday Silence is the Horse of the Year, but most still believe Easy Goer is the better horse."

Sunday Silence earned Horse of the Year, and was completely worthy of the honor.
    I've seen this brought up a number of times and I'll admit, Sunday Silence is one of my heart horses but I'll ask.

Why? I don't mean this in a snotty tone but genuinely, why?

Sunday Silence showed up in the Kentucky Derby, the Belmont, the BCC and ultimately in the breeding shed. What is it about Easy Goer beyond his 2 year old campaign that makes him the better horse?

He may not have had the same stud career but he put close to 100 foals on the ground and you don't see him as nearly the foundation stallion as Sunday Silence so by what bar do you measure that Easy Goer is the better horse?
  • Sham lost the Wood.
  • I don't think Sham won the Wood Memorial, I think Angle Light did.
    I looked it up i am pretty sure that he won the wood
  • Running the second fastest Derby in history is something to brag about, no doubt. But the "Best of All Time" put together many great efforts, not just one.