Roads Untraveled

edited April 2014 in General Interest
I have taken it upon myself to draw a picture I've wanted to draw for ages... It's currently in the works, but with the main sketch done I had to show everyone. This is a picture that's been in the works for years, and I've finally gotten to it! This is Ruffian.... As a mother. With her dear little R78, a filly by Riva Ridge. Enjoy!!

http://luludallasmultipass.deviantart.com/art/WIP-450146832?ga_submit_new=10%3A1398495956&ga_type=edit&ga_changes=1&ga_recent=1

Comments

• She IS a mommy in this picture, so I apologize but there are utters.
  • She IS a mommy in this picture, so I apologize but there are utters.
    Wow! You got a good start on this drawing! The proportions look good! Can't wait to see your finished product! Great Start RR12! :oD
  • lkclkc Member
    Very nice drawing. What a mom she would have been. I watched her ill-fated race and left for church crying, because I knew what the horrible outcome would be. She was a beautiful filly.
  • lkclkc Member
    edited April 2014
    She looks happy in this picture.
  • Interesting idea, and good title.

By the way, the word you want is udder. Many of the people commenting on MS use the wrong word, too.
  • lkclkc Member
    Or you could say, she has utterly nice udders.
  • Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
    edited April 2014
    The female human is on the phone. I wonder if they are concerned about the foal.
    Perhaps a wrong thread posting Ikc? This is not marestare. :oD I've done the same several times.
  • The female human is on the phone. I wonder if they are concerned about the foal.
    LOL. Wrong discussion, lkc. I didn't think you were old enough to have senior moments.
  • lkclkc Member
    I'm afraid I am.
  • lkclkc Member
    Sorry!
  • Or you could say, she has utterly nice udders.
    Exactly. Good one. hahaha
  • Sorry!
    We forgive you. We enjoy a good laugh every now and then.
    edited April 2014
    btw RR12...will you be completing your drawing with pencil shading, with pen and ink or with coloring using pastels, watercolor or colored pencils? Just curious as I can see great potential if you would go into coloring as well but that will take more time I'm sure.

In my work...I use an architectural marker pen collection that has translucent colors that when completed...look like watercolors...it allows your pencil work underneath to show through for added texture and shading. The pen collection I highly recommend is called Copic Sketch. One side is a chisel tip while the other side of each pen is a brush tip so you have flexibility with your color applications. This pen collection should be available at any artist supply store. :oD

Oh...another thing I should add...these Copic Sketch pens are refillable so when the ink runs dry, you simply refill it....and there's hundreds of colors/tinges to select! I've had my pen set since 1999 and they still work great! Just sharing. :oD
  • No such thing as too many laughs on this site =)
  • My weapon of choice is color pencils. Over my entire life I've learned to master their use. However, doing this on a HORSE is new to me-- especially a dark horse like Ruffian. So let's hope for the best!
    edited April 2014
    My weapon of choice is color pencils. Over my entire life I've learned to master their use. However, doing this on a HORSE is new to me-- especially a dark horse like Ruffian. So let's hope for the best!
    Yes...for a dark coated horse best to start out with the lighter shades as your base color and then slowly deepen the color with other shades (try some indigo blue and oranges, etc) to eventually get your deep brownish/black...this will add depth to Ruffian's coat instead of just applying a dark brown/black from the start.

Have you tried watercolor pencils too? It's like a regular color pencil but will react with water. This adds another dimension to your shading. There's a hollow plastic brush that you fill with water and it has a brush tip so once you use watercolor pencils...you can then blend the colors using this water brush. But I would suggest experimenting with it on a scratch paper similar to your Ruffian/foal drawing so you know how it reacts to the paper. :oD
  • edited April 2014
    I know how to go about the coloring. Just the shine I'm unsure about. Where the shine should be, how shiny it should be, how much at what angle, ect. This would be much simpler with a white pen but unfortunately I have not such a valuable item. So I must color around the areas intended for shine.
    edited April 2014
    I know how to go about the coloring. Just the shine I'm unsure about. Where the shine should be, how shiny it should be, how much at what angle, ect. This would be much simpler with a white pen but unfortunately I have not such a valuable item. So I must color around the areas intended for shine.
    If you use an artist's eraser (soft grey eraser) you can actually soften/lighten the areas you've colored to give that subtle sheen/highlight effect you mentioned. If you want more precise erasures, there are soft gray mechanical erasers that come in a cylindrical eraser holder...like a pencil. Just giving you suggestions that's all if you haven't tried the technique before.

I'm excited to see your final product. :oD

• That's what I intend to try. I'm just hoping the end product turns out alright.
    edited April 2014
    That's what I intend to try. I'm just hoping the end product turns out alright.
    Bring out extra scratch paper while you experiment but the main thing is that you tried a new technique...that's part of the fun and excitement to see how it all turns out. :oD
  • KalarKalar Member
    Left a comment on the link. :) Talent! Looking forward to seeing the final work.
  • Thank you =)
  • EriNCEriNC Member
    cows have udders. horses have teats.
  • Okay. SORRY I called them udders everyone! That's just what I've always called them.
  • RachelRachel Member
    edited April 2014
    udders, teats, milk bag...whatever. point is...they are shown in the pic, she was just letting u know