Ruby Slippers

ZenyenZenyen Member
edited April 2014 in Thoroughbred Breeding
In one of the other threads I mentioned tripping across an interesting little factoid about Ziconic and Z14. It was the fact that they share a female ancestor in the mare named Ruby Slippers.

Ziconic's sire Tapit is out of the mare Tap Your Heels who is out of Ruby Slippers.

Z14 is by War Front who is out of the mare Starry Dreamer who is by Rubiano who was out of Ruby Slippers.

Here is an interesting article done by Blood Horse on Ruby Slippers and it mentions Starry Dreamer, War Front, Tap Your Heels, etc.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/84434/ruby-slippers

Since we enjoy talking about pedigrees, genetics and recently the influence of the female line in breeding I thought the fact that this mare now shows up in the lines chosen for 2 of Zenyatta's foals, might interest people. Of note in the article is how Ruby Slippers brought the sprinter, speed which we've discussed as being one of the key crosses to Zenyatta's stamina line.

Comments

• EriNCEriNC Member
    an interesting cross in my opinion would be Click your heels who is a daughter of tap your heels to Black Onyx. Black Onyx was on the derby trail last year but scratched the day of the Derby with a non displaced ankle chip. Black Onyx is by Rock Hard Ten who is by Kris S
  • Another interesting cross, though we could only appreciate from afar, would be if Pisa No Tiffany goes to a Sunday Silence son, like Deep Impact.