Auction Horses Rescue

KetaKeta Member
edited July 2016 in Horse Advocacy & Rescue
There seems to be a need for a Discussion for Auction Horses Rescue.
This will provide a special place for the information

Comments

• KetaKeta Member
    posted by rachel
    from Auction Horse Rescue facebook:

Although we're very short of the needed funds....we went ahead and rescued both horses. The thought of letting either horse continue to starve in that backyard, was not something we were willing to endure one more day.

The elderly Quarter Horse stinks of death...like he had been rolling in dead animal carcasses. Disturbingly, the current neglectful owner "claimed" they rescued him months before, on a property where all the other horses had starved to death. They had walked him past the other starved, lifeless bodies, as they led him home, their story went. Perhaps that smell was what was still on him, though they said it was 6 months ago. I have never rescued a horse I thought smelled of "death" before. But the smell is distinct and instantaneously, nauseatingly recognizable.

His owners named him "Lucky," of all things. But his bad luck had really just continued. 6 more months of starvation, confined in a tiny pen, as multiple visits from Animal Control resulted in no action, or difference to his living conditions.

The owner made a bizarre claim this same horse had "no jaw," but we arrived to find a normal "looking" horse. Perhaps it was just a ploy to get the rescue to show up? But a quick exam revealed....it was true. Where a lower jaw with teeth should be, encased by the lower lip, is...nothing. Not even bone. Somehow he had been able to survive, all this time.

The Thoroughbred filly is very young, very skinny, with little handling but a gentle curiosity, which aided by her hunger, made her easy to load onto our trailer. The story goes she came from a Thoroughbred breeding farm in Frazier Park, where they had been overbred and underfed. He had taken two.

Upsettingly, we were only able to save 2 of the 3 horses on the property -- the owner insisting on keeping the most emaciated: a 17 hh Thoroughbred mare, because she is his "riding horse." The mare is extremely gaunt, with all of her spine and hips protruding, along with very overgrown feet. The man, is well over 6'2, and very overweight.

Animal Control has visited this house numerous times, only giving warnings each time, with no action taken. We hope, now, something will be done for that remaining mare.

The Quarter Horse needs immediate farrier and veterinary care to figure out what can be done for his damaged jaw. For tonight, we have him on soaked alfalfa pellets, which he is soaking up greedily.
  • KetaKeta Member
    posted by Louise Costello
    Oh my God, what in the world? And why would that big, overweight man ride that horse? I am so sick of these stories and I do not understand what is going on with the human race these days. Unreal!
  • KetaKeta Member
    posted by VA-in-CA
    Louise, this is apparently not the mare he rides. That unfortunate mare is still on the property with the guy. They couldn't save her. I agree about people. We used to encounter the same mentality in the cat rescue group I belonged to.
  • I rescued a paint gelding a few years ago in Utah. Bones (we named him)was about 20 years old, was rated a 1.5 on the scale for malnutrition, fell in the trailer twice going home and took months and months of vet care and nutrition, had rain rot so bad I had to give him baths in betadine, his shoes were grown over by new hoof wall, and his teeth were horrible. We went to pick this horse up and the owner was overweight and driving a brand new truck, the horse was so hungry he had eaten all his poop and most the fence posts to stay alive. We got the horse out of there and reported him. Not a thing was done.

• That's so disgusting! Sad story.
  • He lived for another four years. Was the coolest horse ever.
  • Glad to hear that. Thanks for letting us know he was at least happy in the end.
  • edited April 2014
    To finish the story. We had him for almost four years and Bones was a character. He would let two or three kids on his back then walk over to a snow bank and " accidentally" Shake and watch the kids flounder in the snow. He had a very green rider on him once who managed to fall over onto his neck with his feet in the stirrups still. He was stuck and Bones just stood there until we cut off the saddle and he calmly walked out from under the guy. .
    We had to move and could not take the horses with us.We advertised him for a placement home and I get this phone call from a sobbing young lady. Seems Bones was her present from her grandpa when he was a baby, and she was young.Bones mom had been shot and killed when he was a few weeks old. Her grandpa gave her this colt. , then the grandpa died. She raised him and trained him and then got married to an abusive man who she finally divorced and had to leave her marriage for the safety of her kids. Her brother sold Bones to a friend of his and they lost contact. When she saw the ad online she called and told me their story.
    Needless to say we took Bones to his original owner who had raised him from a baby. He was getting pretty old by now and had a lot of internal issues from being starved. Anyway when we met she just hugged and hugged Bones , I swear he remembered her and went home with her to teach her young son to ride. He finally died of colic and septicemia but she was with him when he died. Almost a storybook tale, eh?
  • KetaKeta Member
    An unhappy story with a happy ending.
    Wonder what his name was before his end-of-life name: Bones?
    Imagine something young & friendly like Buddy
    Just wondering
  • It was Tippy. We named him bones because he basically looked like a walking skeleton. Every bone in his body stuck out. Having worked for vets for 40 years I knew it was going to be an uphill battle didn't even have a clue if he would live. My vet said it was the worse case he had ever seen.
  • The old, emaciated Quarter Horse is enjoying every plate of soaked alfalfa pellets we've put in front of him, since rescuing him yesterday evening. There's a look of relief -- "finally, food I can eat!"

That means, we are about to go through a lot of alfalfa pellets. Such an extremely emaciated horse has a lot of weight to gain, and can only do so safely, the "slow" way, of frequent feedings of alfalfa. And without a lower jaw, that means soaked pellets only.

We're trying to get the farrier here today, as he's having difficulty walking on the high heels his hind feet have become, and a bath to begin washing away the layers of filth and stench. Then West Coast Equine Hospital tomorrow to evaluate his overall health, and what can be done for a horse missing a large portion of his jaw.

We are working with Animal Control and related officials to bring the remaining horse on the owner's property to safety. We're hopeful her belly can be full soon, as well.
  • Poor boy! I hope they are able to rescue the one left with the owner. I'm sure they need some donations to help with feeding these poor horses.
  • "Little "Mikey" was tuckered out after day 2 of "fix the emaciated pony"!
    To our surprise, once at West Coast Equine Hpspital, we learned that other than missing his lower jaw, the molars in the back of his mouth were otherwise fine, only requiring a light power float of his teeth. This means there was no reason for his extreme emaciation, other than a lack of food!
    On top of that, Dr. Sullivan states he is only around 5 years old -- anything but elderly! -- again negating any reasonable excuses for this pony's condition, other than criminal neglect.
    Per vet instructions, Mikey is fully capable of living on a diet of hay, not requiring mashed food for pellets. This is because the molars in the back of his mouth, where his jaw is still intact, are all that's required to masticate his food. The front incisors are mostly for tearing off food, such as grazing.
    Dr. Sullivan does not believe Mikey was born with an incomplete jaw, but it was likely surgically removed at some point. Backyard surgical procedures performed with standard garage tools is quite common in poorer communities. Rather than deal with the complexities of healing a fractured jaw, it would be easier to just remove it with a blunt tool...horrifying to imagine, let alone do.
    The little guy is now fully on the road to recovery, with all the "necessities" -- tooth float, farrier, vaccinations, deworming -- taken care of. Now it's time to eat, eat, and eat!
    Mikey is a chipper little guy, and has a sweet pony-sized nicker when horses pass him by. We'll never know what exact hell he endured. But we do know only peace, love and tranquility lay ahead of him."
  • edited April 2014
    Aww, sweet little Mikey! What in the world must he have gone through? Thank goodness, he is safe at last! Gosh, I love the people at Auction Horses Rescue. They do amazing work.
  • It's all the more amazing that he survived all that mistreatment and traumatic injury and yet well-cared for horses can drop dead of colic seemingly at the drop of a hat.
  • Some horrible, horrible cases on AHR today. I'm not even sure these can survive.
    https://www.facebook.com/auctionhorses
  • My cousins rescued four horses a few years ago two American Paint Horses a stallion named Apache with blue eyes i am on my school laptop so i dont have any actual pictures of him but i found this picture of these horse that was on the internet and Apache actually looks just like him but with a little more sorrel on him and has a sorrel mane and tail with blue eyes. This picture is of a different horse that was found abandoned i am only using this picture because when they first got Apache this is how skinny he actually was so heres that picture and
    http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/magicvalley.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/8/31/8317097e-f3ce-11e2-8089-001a4bcf887a/51eeda22b52cf.preview-620.jpg
    now like i said before i dont have a picture of Apache on my school laptop but this is kind of what Apache looks like except for Apache actually has a little more sorrel on his face and a little more white on his body more than this horse does in the picture
    http://www.equines4us.com/Members/2402/A20106291646.jpg
  • Here is Apache's story he is 4 years old now. Apache was found on a farm with 6 live horses and there were about 7 dead horses that died of starvation the guy said that he was taking care of his horses the funny thing is three of the 6 living horses were in great shape so they gave the owner about a week to make things better for his surviving horses. Well a week passed and when they came back nothing had changed for the better it actually had gotten worst and when one of the officers approached Apache he had deep cuts on his legs and his face and could barely walk so they started asking around from the neighbors and it turns out that during the week the guy had hooked him up to this wagon and was making him pull the wagon around but Apache could so the guy beat him with a whip and other objects. Thank goodness that they got him and the other horses out of there in time. Now Apache is one of the most happiest horses i have ever seen the really sad part is that Apache was only 2 years old at the time of this and now when petting him or brushing him he is really sensitive on his legs and you can actually feel the scars from where his deep cuts were at and at a distance you cant tell but when he gets up close to you, you can actually see the scars on his face and his one really deep cut on his front right leg.
  • Aww, this is such a great story and, I have to admit, it made me cry. I wish so much that I had a place in my backyard to keep a horse. It would be a dream come true! It's amazing the great stories that I've seen about horses rescued from these horrible auctions. If only they could all be so lucky.
  • if you guys think these stories are sad you should hear my real life horses stories that i have rescued