Interesting Story about Sunshine Forever

SierraSierra Member
This has a relation to the Mosses so I thought I would share. Hope everyone likes it.

Comments

• Great story. Thanks for sharing. He sure is a beauty. Glad he's in a good place.
  • I've always thought that is the most beautiful name. We got to meet him.
  • Thank you for sharing. That was neat. I had the pleasure of meeting Sunshine Forever last fall before the Breeders' Cup. I actually thought he kind of resembled Zenyatta :) He has such a great personality.
  • Oh that was SO SWEET! Now I want to meet him, too! He looks very happy at Old Friends.
  • Oh that was SO SWEET! Now I want to meet him, too! He looks very happy at Old Friends.
    He is a happy boy! His paddock is right across from Patton's, and they like to beg for carrots from tour groups at the same time. Sunshine likes to have his tongue held.
  • Thank you for sharing. That was neat. I had the pleasure of meeting Sunshine Forever last fall before the Breeders' Cup. I actually thought he kind of resembled Zenyatta :) He has such a great personality.
    No surprise they look similar. It's a family resemblance! Sunshine Forever is a son of Roberto, and Zenyatta is Roberto's great-granddaughter.
  • myrnamyrna Member
    edited April 2012
    My sister and I were a part of bringing back Sunshine Forever. Michael gave us carte blanche to negotiate for his return. While we were in discussions with the blood agent, we also discovered Creator at Nitta Farms in Japan. We told Michael about him and he said "get him too."

We had initially been trying to find out what happened to Ferdinand and actaully spoke with the blood agent who was the one involved in his last sale. He would never reveal to us Ferdinand's last owner but when we asked him about Sunshine Forever (because we knew he'd been in Japan for quite some time and was getting on in years) he was more than happy to start the process of helping us get him back to the U.S. That is when we hooked up with Michael and he gave us permission to act on behalf of Old Friends which made things so much easier.

It was during our negotiations that the blood agent suddenly became very ill and he recommended another agent to us. With the new agent, Mr. Onishi, Michael was able to secure the return of Sunshine Forever and Creator.

We were also given permission to send a photo to the Japanese version of the Blood Horse magazine and they published it. The photo was one by Barbara Livingston (who graciously gave her consent) of Kris S. Below the photo, in Japanese, we put something like, "When Their Careers Are Over, We Would Love To Have Them Back." It was a gentle nudge to let the breeders in Japan know that there was a place for these champions when they no longer had any use for them and Old Friends was willing to pay all expenses to send them back to the U.S. I wish there was some way I could show everyone the photo because it was just beautiful, a silhoutte of Kris S with his groom.

It makes me so happy to think of those two beautiful stallions enjoying their wonderful retirement and knowing that my sister and I had a hand in making it all possible.
  • EriNCEriNC Member
    Interesting comment about Sunshine Forever's cannon bones, and hoof walls compared to horses racing today; maybe that is why we are seeing so many more break downs in racing.
  • @Myrna, thank you.
  • what a beautiful story. Glad he was brought home safe from Japan. I respect Old Friends for what they do. It people like this and many others that give this sport a good name.
  • I must say that when I went to Kentucky this boy and Creator were my favorites. I think everybody on the tour was little jealous that all the way along his paddock Creator only followed me and let me pet him. He seemed to be in a mood that day but whenever I walked up he perked his ears and let me pet him. It made me feel great! I love Old Friends and I am glad for all they do. So I must say Thank You Myrna for helping Old Friends get these two beautiful loving horses they are my favorites.
  • MaxMax Member
    @Myrna. Great work. This is an inspiring story. Sunshine looks very happy and well. Michael, you and your sister are the kind of people to be admired. Hats off to all of you for a job well done. Good health to the Sunshine boy for many more years.
  • I was at Laurel Racetrack for that DC International in 1988. Watching him come back between horses still gives me chills, I have seen a lot of racing and that was one of the gutsiest performances that I have ever seen. I am so glad that he is loved and well taken care of.
  • What a great story. I loved Roberto. Good job.
    Good Karma gonna look over ya!!!