Forum Redesign: Feedback and Suggestions

kyleakylea Administrator
edited May 2014 in Tech Support & Tutorials
Hello everyone! We hope you enjoy our new look.

Use this thread to let us know what you think.

Comments

• LyndaKLyndaK Member
    kylea. it seems that the discussions end as of the end of April. I hopped on to check out the latest comments on California Chrome and it will not load past April 30. Thanks
  • Same here and it takes forever to even get on and it will never let me even get to some threads.
  • Never mind, I can get to the older comments and it's starting to let me get places a little faster.

• kyleakylea Administrator
    @LyndaK and @louisecastello,
    The site was bogged down for a few minutes, but now we're back to normal.

I'm looking at the California Chrome thread, and I see the last comment was today at 9:11AM, on page 37. Do you two see something different?
  • Kylea, That's what I see also. Also, sorry for being in panic mode earlier! It's starting to look great now and working fast again. I think we are going to really like it. Thank you for all the hard work.
  • Oops, I have one other question and it doesn't matter, but do we still have the quote option? Thank you.
    Oops, I have one other question and it doesn't matter, but do we still have the quote option? Thank you.
    Yes, but it's not exactly the same as before. This is how it currently works:

Step 1: Copy and paste text you'd like to quote into your new comment
    Step 2: Make sure it's selected (highlighted)
    Step 3: Click the button at the top of the comment box that looks like a speech bubble.

The old method may make a reappearance, but this is what we have for now.
  • slewpyslewpy Member
    The "return to discussions" option is missing from the end of a discussion.
  • Crazy4ZCrazy4Z Member
    I like it!
  • Love the new look!!
    edited May 2014
    Yes, but it's not exactly the same as before. This is how it currently works:

Step 1: Copy and paste text you'd like to quote into your new comment
    Step 2: Make sure it's selected (highlighted)
    Step 3: Click the button at the top of the comment box that looks like a speech bubble.

The old method may make a reappearance, but this is what we have for now.

Ok, I added a Quote button.
  • Thank you Kylea, I just came back and saw it. Yay!!
  • Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
    edited May 2014
    Hi Kylea!
    Under General: The announcement Miscellaneous and Helpful Links to Remember is not the first item listed under the topic category. These are links many people keep asking for so this should be the first thread right under GENERAL. Just making a suggestion. Glad the topics are more categorized which helps people find topics better and not duplicate similar postings. :oD

Like that there are bold face, italics, etc option icons at the top for html! Makes typing faster this way. So easy now...you can get html formulas by pressing a button...rather than manually typing them in now. I also like the Cheat Sheet too under Simple Html.

I haven't tried the Image icon yet...does this link directly to your computer picture files? Just curious before I attempt using it....Please advise how it works. :oD
  • I don't like change, but I'll get used to it, as I must. I hope you put return to discussions at both top and bottom. It takes forever (boy are we spoiled!) to scroll up from near the end. Will there be an editing feature? I don't think I can post without it. I'm always making typos or grammar mistakes. I like the idea of underlining and bolding, etc. Thanks for adding that.
    edited May 2014
    Yes...I agree with VA_in_CA about having the return to all discussions at both top and bottom. Often times...we have to scroll up to all discussion which in the old format was a "pain".
    Also...I notice that the page numbers are now different...especially in MareStare. This is unfortunate as I refer to a Mare List referencing a page number so thread participants can find it by clicking directly on the page listed. Now the page reference numbers do not match anymore and we can't easily find the list now. :o(
    Update: Okay I was somehow able to locate the new pages/revised numbers by doing search...except it doesn't list the page number of the posting in the search mode...I still had to guestimate what page to find old postings based only on the date...not the page number. :o( Can you list the page number in the search mode please...thanks!

I just noticed a few seconds ago that some of the top headers do not show up when we open a page like the Teal Rectangle for "All Discussions" ...It looks like the top portion of the forum page is cut off.
  • Oh...Just noticed that the private message link is no longer showing under our Profile Images anymore. Will you be adding this back in? Or are you going to provide a "button" to click on that says "send a private message".
    Please advise. If the directions have changed...we would need a tutorial on how to send these private messages. Just another suggestion. :oD
    edited May 2014
    Kylea...sorry to be a pain but just wanted to provide you a user request...
    Often times when we are in a discussion thread, we have to go all the way up to "ALL DISCUSSIONS" to see if anyone has made a comment...especially when it is a rapid fire active discussion we are having. "CAN YOU PROVIDE A REFRESH BUTTON" next to our posting window so that we can remain in our Discussion and easily see other comments made by fellow members posting on the same thread instead of having to scroll all the way up...press All Discussion then click onto our thread topic.

If we press the circular reload button at the top left next to the Back arrow below the tab, it doesn't work consistently and I sometimes find myself on the home page of the site rather than on the forum discussion page...anyway it can get quirky.

That's okay...found the refresh button...I just have to click on the time to the left of the quote button...so forget what I mentioned above. :oP
  • PG, you can refresh the page by clicking on F5 in those F Keys at the top of the keyboard.
  • No need F5...I just found on this new format that all you have to do is click on the time just left of the word QUOTE.
  • kylea, We really need an Edit button. Sorry we are so demanding, but that was a feature I really liked. In fact I had wished we had it on the private discussions.

A tutorial would be helpful as PG suggested. Not all of us are tech savvy. One of my Chinese tutoring clients told me that people my age in China cannot use a computer at all. So there is hope for us here. hahaha
    edited May 2014
    In Mare Stare I showed VA_in_CA how to find the "EDIT" BUTTON...it's that gear-like icon on the right of QUOTE...but now it's a two-step procedure to get into edit mode...Can we get a one-step process for edit...thanks!
    NOTE: i personally don't mind the "GEAR" edit icon with a reminder of how much time left there is for the edit option, but it's for those that may want it simple...like seeing the word "EDIT". :oD
    edited May 2014
    OK...let me try that image icon...

OH COOL! You now don't have to copy into a webhosting site to show the photo image if you have the image URL! That will help others a lot. I LOVE THIS NEW OPTION!

NOTE: Correction to the above notation. You still have to go to your webhosting site to obtain your photo image link. Copy the link then you can press the IMAGE icon to paste the link. Unfortunately it is an extra step then the copy/paste directly into the posting window...This I'm not too happy about.
  • OK just tried the URL icon....but I must be doing something wrong or copying the wrong path. Kylea...perhaps you could explain how to use this url, ctrl+l option...thanks!
    Maybe provide an example? :oD
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    I am old and do not like change...but I will adapt....I really miss the "return to discussion" at the end....a bummer having to scoll up to the top to go back to the list of discussions....
This discussion has been closed.