Lucky Pulpit - Sire of California Chrome

Comments

• Chrome will probably run the whole year up until the breeders cup and who knows maybe past that you never know.
  • I will guess when they retire him owners will go with highest price unless they find a lucrative stallion syndication if they want to stay in game. Maybe they won't stay. No guarantees like others have said. Role of the dice. Think they will go out with most money offered. They are not in the business of horse breeding whoodler said it well in earlier post about setting up breeding, especially for an unproven stallion. No matter HOY. Very expensive to support and start a new stallion when the time comes.
  • edited February 2015
    Right. Not many can make a stallion like the Ramsey's did with Kitten's Joy. They had the money and resources and fortunately KJ was able to reward their investment.
    I will guess when they retire him owners will go with highest price unless they find a lucrative stallion syndication if they want to stay in game. Maybe they won't stay. No guarantees like others have said. Role of the dice. Think they will go out with most money offered. They are not in the business of horse breeding whoodler said it well in earlier post about setting up breeding, especially for an unproven stallion. No matter HOY. Very expensive to support and start a new stallion when the time comes.
  • Too bad we can't just all put our money together to buy him then we can control his breeding rights when he gets retired.
    Just imagine that happening, that would be a mess we would be breeding him to pretty much every mare we like. Haha, that would be bad.
  • I will be so happy if "Junior" stays in the US and in 3-4 years has winning prodigy. But, if that doesn't happen, let's not forget the Japanese horse industry has very deep pockets and if the price is right "Junior" will be on a plane to Japan.
  • marepowermarepower Member
    edited February 2015
    Lizzie, I agree with you and think you should start that petition.

cc1121 , I wouldn't count on Jr running for very long this year. As much as his people love him... and they DO love him... he's not a pet. He's a business proposition. And the business of horse racing is money.

I spend more time defending DAP than Junior. I find them refreshing honest. The saying is "out of the mouths of babes" and when it comes to horse racing, they're babes. It's time people spoke up about what is right for THEIR horse and THEIR business, regardless of the party line, and they don't have to pretty it up for me. Plus I see 90% of the ranting against them as sour grapes. "They haven't paid their dues. Their first mare, their first colt... where do THEY get off telling people anything?" seems to be behind all the anti Martin/Coburn crap.
    Totally agree with all of this. Not sure he will run his entire 4 yo season but it is a business and money blinds people IMO.
  • It is business. and business is money. They only got into horses because Steve wanted to buy an airplane and his wife took him to a horse race and he thought it was more fun. All the leprechauns and four leaf clovers in Ireland couldn't have given them more good luck. They are having a great time and doing quite well financially because of it... but you notice none of them has quit his day job. It's a different world for people who have lived and breathed horses from birth than for people who just wander in, party a while and then move on to the next fun time. No harm, no foul, in my opinion. If they hadn't come along there wouldn't be any California Chrome. I figure I get to enjoy him and it's costing me nothing.
  • I will guess when they retire him owners will go with highest price unless they find a lucrative stallion syndication if they want to stay in game. Maybe they won't stay. No guarantees like others have said. Role of the dice. Think they will go out with most money offered. They are not in the business of horse breeding whoodler said it well in earlier post about setting up breeding, especially for an unproven stallion. No matter HOY. Very expensive to support and start a new stallion when the time comes.
    I could see them syndicating him as long as they got to enjoy the results without doing a lot of the work... say sell 95% and just keep a few breeding shares to sell each year to the highest bidder or even to use on a mare or two themselves.

• There was a Lucky Pulpit filly born at Harris Farms on January 27, 2015. And its a beautiful little filly that has some chrome of her own. I posted a picture of her on the 2015 foals discussion. If yo want to see a picture of her.
  • It you are right about Steve's story. Perry's is much different. He owns the lion's share of chrome and makes all the decisions.is business. and business is money. They only got into horses because Steve wanted to buy an airplane and his wife took him to a horse race and he thought it was more fun. All the leprechauns and four leaf clovers in Ireland couldn't have given them more good luck. They are having a great time and doing quite well financially because of it... but you notice none of them has quit his day job. It's a different world for people who have lived and breathed horses from birth than for people who just wander in, party a while and then move on to the next fun time. No harm, no foul, in my opinion. If they hadn't come along there wouldn't be any California Chrome. I figure I get to enjoy him and it's costing me nothing.
    It is business. and business is money. They only got into horses because Steve wanted to buy an airplane and his wife took him to a horse race and he thought it was more fun. All the leprechauns and four leaf clovers in Ireland couldn't have given them more good luck. They are having a great time and doing quite well financially because of it... but you notice none of them has quit his day job. It's a different world for people who have lived and breathed horses from birth than for people who just wander in, party a while and then move on to the next fun time. No harm, no foul, in my opinion. If they hadn't come along there wouldn't be any California Chrome. I figure I get to enjoy him and it's costing me nothing.
  • Ok that's just odd. I'm a goof and need to go back and find what I did wrong.
  • I meant to say, Perry Martin's story is much different than Steve's. And he owns the lion's share of chrome. He makes all the decisions. He's a little scary.
  • California Chrome is running February 7th in the San Antonio Invitational Stakes. He will be ridden by Victor Espinoza. He is trained by Art Sherman and owned by Steven Coburn and Perry Martin.
  • Now that pulpit intermediate/classic chef de race, lucky pulpit has new di/cd numbers.
    Old di 3.44/cd 0.95

New 3.19/0.70
    Better reflection of stamina influence
  • I hope I'm wrong, but from what I have read, etc., it doesn't seem that "Junior" is US syndicate material. I believe he will be leaving on a jet plane, and not with Peter, Paul and Mary.
  • Uh oh! I'll be singing that darn song all night. Lol!

I agree with you, though. I don't see him staying here.

• Louise, today was an overcast, 60 degree, day in the Sunshine State, so as I was driving around doing errands I decided to play one of my oldies CDs and that was the first song on it, and I immediately thought of "Chrome." :) or :(
  • By the sounds of it he'll be getting on a jet plane to dubai in the near future.
  • @bigherbie, I certainly don't want him to leave the U.S., but, like you, I think he will.

I'm not particularly excited for him to go to Dubai either, @Rachel, but maybe it'll be a good thing. I hope anyway.
  • Well Art says it takes 3 months for them to adjust after going to Dubai. He says Chrome is an adaptable horse so he isnt worried about it.

Guess we'll see how it goes
  • Wait so is he going to Dubai to do the Dubai world cup or is that were he is going to be standing at stud? Cause to be honest I don't want to see him go to Dubai to stand at stud.
  • Are they pointing to current Dubai Carnival? Won't it be over in3 months? Don't know.
  • Dubai World Cup on 3/28 - 6 million purse. Bayern, Tonalist and Toast of NY also nominated.