Zenyatta Statue

markinsacmarkinsac Member
edited September 2012 in Zenyatta
In the Paddock at Santa Anita is a statue of Seabidcuit, the horse that ran in the 1930's and had a movie made about him (maybe the highest honor a horse could acheive). Santa Anita also has a statue of John Henry, a gritty veteran who ran at an old age of 9, still winning Horse of the Year titles.

It would be an honor if we see a statue on Zenyatta too! She is one of the few who deserves one. She only raced at Santa Anita, Hollywood, Del Mar, Oaklawn and Churchill Downs. So which one of these tracks will get the ball rolling? Hopefully, more than one . . .

Comments

• KellyM444KellyM444 Member
    edited April 2012
    She will be getting a statue this fall at Santa Anita. Nina Kaiser who did the John Henry statue will also be doing Zenyatta's statue. Nina did a much smaller version that was for sale. I have one and it is so beautiful. I believe that she will be using this as her prototype for the lifesize one that will be at Santa Anita. Here is a link to her website. Her work is fantastic! http://equinesculpture.com/
  • THE STATUE OF ZENYATTA WILL BE PUT IN PLACE AT SANTA ANITA FALL MEET FOR THE BREEDERS CUP
  • Out by the paddock to greet horses going out to the track. i believe across from john henry is where the statue will be. i hope its a magnificent sculpture of her.
  • The Zenyatta statue will be placed on the south side of the Kingsbury Fountain (the side facing the main entrance gates -- John Henry is on the north side which faces the main entrance to the grandstand). Right now there is a bust of Joe Hernandez (first race caller at Santa Anita) in that location, so I'm wondering if they are going to move him or if Z will be between him and the fountain. They will unveil it sometime during the fall meet (I'm betting on opening weekend/BC preview day).
  • She will be getting a statue this fall at Santa Anita. Nina Kaiser who did the John Henry statue will also be doing Zenyatta's statue. Nina did a much smaller version that was for sale. I have one and it is so beautiful. I believe that she will be using this as her prototype for the lifesize one that will be at Santa Anita. Here is a link to her website. Her work is fantastic! http://equinesculpture.com/
    Way to go Zee :)))

• She SO deserves a full sized Nina Kaiser bronze. It will make going to Santa Anita all the sweeter to see our dear Dancing Queen with every visit.
  • caseycasey any racetrack with camera in handMember
    we were talking about this on Saturday as we walked past John Henry and the fountain. We wonder if they will have her statue up on a pedestal like John Henry, or will it be close to the ground so the fans can see how big she really is. If she's up on a pedestal (wait, she already is!!!) that statue will be MASSIVE and poor John Henry and Seabiscuit will look like miniature horses...
  • What I found very interesting is that Nina Kaiser made a point of saying she is putting Z's dapples on her statue! It just would be Z without them, and will be interesting to see how that turns out.
  • candicandi Member
    wow this is an exciting news,zenyatta the queen is one of the kind.
  • MKernMKern Member
    FYI - Here's the article from the DRF regarding the unveiling of Zenyatta's statue this fall at Santa Anita.
    http://www.drf.com/news/hovdey-zenyatta-gets-john-henry-treatment-santa-anita-statue
  • Zenyatta joins Seabiscuit, John Henry as life-size statue in Santa Anita paddock area
    Posted on September 14, 2012 by Jennie Rees
    A Santa Anita press release:
    ARCADIA, Calif. (Sept. 14, 2012)—The legendary Zenyatta, winner of the 2009 Breeders’ Cup Classic at Santa Anita and Horse of the Year in 2010, will be honored for all-time by Santa Anita Park as a life-sized statue of the great mare will be unveiled in Santa Anita’s Paddock Gardens area on the first Saturday of Santa Anita’s upcoming Autumn Meet, on Sept. 29.
    Additionally, the inaugural Grade I, $250,000 Zenyatta Stakes (formerly the Lady’s Secret), a race won by Zenyatta over three consecutive years from 2008 through 2010, will be run on Sept. 29.
    Zenyatta, who at the age of eight is currently enjoying her role as a broodmare at Lane’s End Farm in Kentucky, will be joining two of the greatest horses of all-time, John Henry and Seabiscuit, as her statuary likeness will now join these legends of the American Turf adjacent to the track’s grandstand.

http://blogs.courier-journal.com/racing/2012/09/14/zenyatta-joins-seabiscuit-john-henry-as-life-sie-statues-in-santa-anita-paddock-area/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+courier-journal/ddIR+(Horse+Racing+Blog)&utm_content=My+Yahoo
    Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait- 2 more weeks!!!!
  • This is an honor fit for a Queen, and indeed she is!!!
  • What a fitting honor for our girl. She belongs in the category of one of the greatest horses of all-time. And btw, I was at John Henry's last race at the Meadowlands in NJ. He is indeed a legend and Z is already a legend.
  • wow zenyatta the superstar, the legend, the icon and most of all my inspiration.
  • This is the best news. Z is so worthy. Happy ill be able to see it at Breeders Cup
    I'm hoping that we'll see something on opening day! I'll be there very early for photo day! Can't wait Can't wait!!!
  • Beautiful Zenyatta. At Santa Anita for eternity. Wow. I wish I could see th statue, but I know there will be lots of pictures.
    Beautiful Zenyatta. At Santa Anita for eternity. Wow. I wish I could see th statue, but I know there will be lots of pictures.
    I MAY take one or two.....
  • Zenyatta Measures Up
    Equine sculptor Nina Kaiser is in heaven over her latest subject
    (this updated version with Moss Blue titles...)

I looked at Nina's site because I had heard that the statue was going to be the same pose as the miniature statue she did. If so...
    http://www.equinesculpture.com/limited-edition-zenyatta-bronze-statue.htm
  • How wonderful. I will definently go and see her when I'm in CA visiting my family.
  • Zenny is always so spectacular in video and her calm nature a joy to see. Nina really does capture everything about her. I can't wait to see the statue in all it's magnificience.
  • El Vino's FB page has a picture of the concrete "pedistol" where the statue will reside.
    OMG, that 17.2 hand high sculpture will simply be amazing...a few tears will be shed during the unveiling I'm sure.
  • yea all thats missing is the information plate and the statue