Horrible Horse Stories That Have Become Happy Endings

Comments

• VA_in_CAVA_in_CA Member
    edited April 2016
    Here's another article about the rescue of the horses in the Houston area. It reports that some horses, sadly, were lost. But it could have been a lot worse. The horse in the picture at the head of the article looks terrified. http://www.ratemyhorsepro.com/news/hero-saves-25-horses-from-houston-flooding.aspx
  • The most recent comment from the owner of Cypress Trails stated that 5 horses were still missing. They are endurance horses and the owner holds out hope for at least some of them as they were strong horses.
  • And on a more unusual note, a tiger was found loose in Houston today. They have rescued it and are trying to find out who it belongs to. Sounds strange, I know. But Texas is one of a handful of states that allows private ownership of these animals.
  • OK...the tiger was found with a leash and a collar. She jumped on the guy who found her and started licking his face. Aww... She is tame and declawed. She jumped into the back of th SUV when the tailgate was opened. There are cute pictures of her in various Houston papers. But I could'nt get the images to copy. Darn!
  • Good news, I guess. An owner has come forth. But he said his facility flooded and he droped his tiger off with a friend in Conroe and they weren't equiped to handle it. Doesn't sound like the Conroe Police are buying it. They are still talking about gaining custody and rehoming thr cat appropriately. Specifically, the cat will not be euthanized or adopted out to any private party.

There are sanctuaries in texas , not to mention all over the country including big cat rescue in florida. A tame cat like this would do well there, as they interace with those that will permit it. As far as I can tell, they treat their animals vrry well. They even have a house cat sanctuary on the property. They have numerous videos on youtube. I particularly recommend the one where they give catnip to the cats in crunched up paper bags. What a hoot!

Regardless, Imy heart aches for this poor cat. She begged for attention from her rescuers. She licked their faces, rubbed against their legs, rolled ovrr for her belly to be petted. If she is cut off completely from that, she might very well have some depression, adjustment problems. Whether the way she was kept was right or wrong, she was loved. Maybe she is a performing cat and the right owner hasn't come forth yet. A lot of care and training was given to this cat for her to be such a sweety.

As to the remaining lost horses, no news today. But Cypress Creek is still above flood stage.
  • Any links for the tiger story?
  • Good news, I guess. An owner has come forth. But he said his facility flooded and he droped his tiger off with a friend in Conroe and they weren't equiped to handle it. Doesn't sound like the Conroe Police are buying it. They are still talking about gaining custody and rehoming thr cat appropriately. Specifically, the cat will not be euthanized or adopted out to any private party.

There are sanctuaries in texas , not to mention all over the country including big cat rescue in florida. A tame cat like this would do well there, as they interace with those that will permit it. As far as I can tell, they treat their animals vrry well. They even have a house cat sanctuary on the property. They have numerous videos on youtube. I particularly recommend the one where they give catnip to the cats in crunched up paper bags. What a hoot!

Regardless, Imy heart aches for this poor cat. She begged for attention from her rescuers. She licked their faces, rubbed against their legs, rolled ovrr for her belly to be petted. If she is cut off completely from that, she might very well have some depression, adjustment problems. Whether the way she was kept was right or wrong, she was loved. Maybe she is a performing cat and the right owner hasn't come forth yet. A lot of care and training was given to this cat for her to be such a sweety.

As to the remaining lost horses, no news today. But Cypress Creek is still above flood stage.
    What a weird story!

Idk if you meant interaction as just being around people or touching, but BCR has a big "no touchie" policy. Cool cool cool rescue.

Here's a link - and oh jeeze, she's just a baby.
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/22/us/tiger-found-wandering-streets-of-suburban-houston/
  • Thanks, elirose. She is a cute tiger. Hope all works out well for her.
  • http://tenplay.com.au/news/national/april/tiger-caught-roaming-freely-in-texasTiger found wandering streets of ConroeConroe police are looking for the owners of a tiger found wandering the streets of Conroe on Thursday.
    By Jay R. Jordan | Updated 10 hours ago

Tiger caught roaming freely in Texas
    Published: 22 April 2016

Article

Current Affairs
    A young female tiger has been found prowling through a suburb of Houston, Texas.

Just before 12pm on Thursday the Conroe Police Department received the first of several calls about a tiger on the loose.

Witnesses said it was clear the tiger was someone’s pet, acting similar to a domestic cat and rubbed against people’s legs to be patted.

Animal control officers captured the tiger which is trained and was wearing a collar with a leash attached.

The police department are now trying to track down the tiger’s owner.

Exotic animals are able to be owned in some areas in America as long as owners have a registration certificate from the animal control authority.
    Police are looking for the owners of a tiger found wandering the streets of Conroe on Thursday.

The tiger was found in a neighborhood in the north part of Conroe off League Line Road and Longmire Road around 11:30 a.m. Thursday by Erin Coole and Jonathan Gessner, they said. The couple was driving along Little Blue Heron Lane when they spotted the tiger peering through a bush.

When Gessner walked toward the tiger, he said it lunged at him.

“It looked at me, I looked at it, and it came running towards me and jumped on me and just started licking me in the face and playing with me,” Gessner said. “I felt kind of scared, because you never know what's going to happen. Once it jumped on me and started licking me, it felt cool.”

The couple got a hold of the tiger and called 911. Conroe PD Animal Control officers took the tiger to their shelter where they’ll keep her for three days, officers said.

According to CPD Animal Control Officer Taylor Little, they’re feeding her hamburger meat in the meantime until she finds her home. Little said she’s never seen something like a tiger in the Conroe Animal Shelter.

“(We) came out there and were able to take the leash, and the tiger jumped on the tailgate and got in the back of the truck,” Little said. “If no one claims her after the three days, we’ll try and find a rescue.”

The tiger is tame, officials said, and paired with the leash and collar combo leads them to believe she’s being kept as a pet. Her claws are missing, according to Conroe PD Sgt. Dorcy McGinnis, and she knows her way around doors and people.

Conroe city ordinances forbid residents from keeping wild animals as pets, which includes tigers, McGinnis said. The owner could be cited for violating this ordinance and forced to keep the tiger out of city limits, she said.
    with information is urged to call CPD Animal Control at 936-522-3211 or CPD at 936-522-3200.

Menu
    ABC News

00:00
    Tiger Found Roaming Streets Seems 'Very Domesticated'
    By AVIANNE TAN
    Apr 22, 2016, 12:25 PM ET
    Email
    Star
    Play Conroe Police Department via REUTERS
    WATCH Tiger Found Wandering Houston Suburb
    The young tiger found casually wandering a residential neighborhood in Conroe, Texas, Thursday "is doing well" today and appears to be "very domesticated," according to police.

"She's very calm and is basically like a young, playful cat," Conroe Police Sgt. Dorcy McGuinnis told ABC News today. "She's clearly very domesticated. I was awed by her strength and quickness, but it's obvious she's been around humans."

The big cat was captured by animal control officers Thursday in a suburban neighborhood about 40 miles of Houston. She was found wearing a collar and leash, but no one was on the other end, McGuinnis said.

KTRK
    A young female tiger lays in a pen of the Conroe Police Department after being found with leash and collar, wandering a local street, in Conroe, Texas April 21, 2016. more +
    The tiger is being housed "in a secure City of Conroe facility," where she "is doing well," according to Russell Reynolds, deputy chief of the Conroe Police Department.

People "are requested NOT to call the Conroe Police Department or the Conroe Animal Shelter for inquiries about adopting/rescuing the tiger or coming to view it," Reynolds told ABC News today in an email. "It will not be adopted out, it will not be euthanized, and it will not be put on display."

Va in Ca: Hope this fills in most of the info I posted. If not, I'd be happy to try again. Android phone won't link at all. Also, the stories have changed from yesterday. Today it is the police did this and that. Yesterday the couple caught the cat and handed her off to police. Probably plays better for law enforcement this way. But I am a stickler for correctness regardless of how a story plays out. It annoys me that everything is now law enforceme t point of view only.

Here is the best first-hand info I could find on missing horses: https://www.gofundme.com/ujzum3es

Once again it didn't paste as a working link, but at least there is the site. Clearly I'm link-challenged. Or at least my phone is. Good news, though, I'm getting a new one next week. Woo Hoo!!!

Sorry I didn't post this answer last night, but it was 3am and I drifted off to sleep.

https://weather.com/science/nature. This is more on tiger from Weatherr channel.

?body=Northwest Harris County's flooding misery won't subside for days

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Northwest-Harris-flooding-misery-won-t-subside-7305441.php?cmpid=email-mobile

This message was sent via chron.com.&subject=Your friend has shared a Chron.com link with you

Sorry this is so long, but I am trying to follow the forum rule of not posting multiple quotes without responses in between.
  • I know that BCR has a no touch policy and I applaud it. But they will take the time to work with her and get her used to beibg a big cat.

BTW did you know that the "Dad" of the Cole and Marmalade cat series on youtube was the narrater on a number of the BCR videos on youtube.

Here are clips of Cole and Marmalade and a BCR - Big cats vx toilet paper.

I saw that a couple from my previous post actually worked so I was encouraged to try again.
  • Very interesting.
  • Please see this!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.facebook.com/RandyWallaceFOX26/posts/10153546173143803&ved=0ahUKEwjvrP2L06jMAhWKm4MKHXndANYQFghcMBA&usg=AFQjCNGm8CrQ6vP88vtGwy96S7bzy-qBCA&sig2=P8HpHfCoM674Jqhfj-6dpA

I hope this link works. It is about the owner and stable of the rescued horses. If true, those horses need a second rescue. And the owner needs to be held accountable.

If the link doesn't work, this is where the info can be found:

Gayla Simons Ersler shared a post to Randy Wallace FOX 26's Timeline. - Facebook
    Facebook › RandyWallaceFOX26 › posts
  • Wow, this is horrible. No way that dumb woman should get those horses back. I hope someone is going to do something about it. Poor horses and she obviously doesn't care at all.
  • Exactly my reaction. I see the originator of the post went straight to the media.

I know the Houston SPCA is a good organization and has a huge modern barn and works with other facilities that occasionally assist them, or vice versa per the show Animal Cops Houston.

If I had a horse boarded there I'd be looking for new accomodations. In the midst of flooding of biblical proportions might not be the ideal time, though.
  • KMMKMM Member
    That is a sad story. Can allegations be proven? How can someone have 70 horses on 6 acres? Does not seem possible to do.
  • Our sweet little tiger cub was reunited, temporarily with her owner today. He was sad to see her in a cage situation. But he admitted he would like to see her sent to a sanctuary in Tyler TX. He will await the local judge's determination. Looks like a happy ending for the little lady. I'll be kind of sorry to see her go out of the news. Maybe she can become a youtube star and bring in donations at her new home. Story is here: http://abc13.com/news/tiger-found-wandering-in-conroe-reunited-with-owner/1308465/

The Houston area is getting help from FEMA due to damage from the recent flooding. Over 3,500 homes were flooded in one unincorporsted county alone. The story is here(includes alot of photos): http://m.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/State-gets-presidential-disaster-declaration-7336742.php

And finally an update on the missing horses. One of the four has been found and is fine. The search goes on for the remaining three. The 66 yr old owner of Cypress Trails has been vilified in the press. But in this article several people including her vet have come to her aid. There is a petition calling for everything from the confiscation of her horses to her arrest. She has also received threats to her life.: http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/The-horses-who-swam-for-their-lives-7306937.php#photo-9891804

Some of the folks in Houston need to get a grip! Being angry is one thing. Threatening someone's life is all kinds of wrong!

• I ran across this on youtube by Scott Engle. This is Nala the tame tiger cub in Conroe TX visited by her owner. She was playing like the kitten she is. Fun to watch but she needs to go to her permanent home.

• Loved the Cole and Marmalade video as well as the cats vs. toilet paper! So sad to see such strife and discord going on over the poor horses in that flooding. I'm sure there are always two sides to every story but if indeed the storm was predicted in advance, I agree the horses should have been moved to safer areas before the flooding. But then, I am very conservative, safety conscious, and would rather err on the side of caution than risk my animal's life in such a situation. Overprotective? Yes, that's pretty much the definition of me in my parenting and animal parenting. Lol!

I sure hope the baby tiger ends up at the sanctuary, too. Years ago my daughter and I volunteered with a big cat rescue and had the opportunity to handle some baby tigers and lions - an experience that has treasured memories for me. Sadly far too many people do think they would make wonderful pets but then learn too late that they do not, so they end up in poor situations, thus the need for the sanctuaries out there.
  • Glad you liked the videos. I always look forward to the next ones in the series.

Tiger cub was awarded to City of Conroe today. Tomorrow morning she will be transferred to the International Exotic Animal Sanctuary. See article here: http://abc13.com/news/city-awarded-temporary-custody-of-tiger-found-wandering/1309996/

WooHoo! She's on her way to a better life.

And...here's something weird! A 3 mo old male cub was found wandering in a neighborhood in Hemet, CA in Sept., 2016. Also declawed. The little guy was transferred to Lions, Tigers, and Bears in Alpine, CA. A happy ending. Sound familiar?? Story link below. I'm starting to think we need a new thread here.

http://ktla.com/2015/09/06/tiger-cub-found-wandering-in-hemet-gets-new-home-at-san-diego-area-animal-sanctuary/
    I think it's great that you volunteered at a rescue.

As to the horses, I'm not sure we have or will ever hear the full story. My guess is that this will fade from the news as the flood waters recede and there won't be much else in print. That won't stop me from checking on the story for a while, though.

I'm with you on the care of my animals. Home, in the car, inside, outside, wherever they are I protect and care for them. Well, I'm actually petless in WI at the moment. But I'm driving to Northern MI next week to pick up my new baby. Yes!

• I'm glad to see the Tiger cub will be going to the IEAS sanctuary and not turned back over to the former owner. I checked out their web-site and it appears they are an upstanding organization. We have driven past their facility many times as it is not too far from where I live, so one of these days I need to arrange a tour of the place. Happy to hear you are going to pick up a new baby soon! Be sure to share the details with us!
  • You bet! I'll post in the new pet topic.

And please be sure to let us know if you visit the IEAS site.

• I'm glad to hear that the IEAS sanctuary is a good place. I saw an interview of the Tiger's owner and he is also happy his baby is going there. Thanks for keeping an eye on the flood story for us, Celeste. How far are you from where the flooding was?
  • And just when you thought you'd heard it all...Oh No No No!

A masked man in black broke into the Conroe Animal Shelter at 5:30am on Wednesday and apparently tried to sreal the tiger cub. Their video monitor got some good footage of him. I guess he was so inept he couldn't even find the tiger. She went on to her new home a coule of hours later. See story below:

http://www.khou.com/mb/news/crime/police-man-in-black-tried-to-steal-conroe-tiger/156120856

More nasty weather in Houston area today, with additional rain forecast Satuurday 4-30-16 through Tuesday 5-3-16.

Houston area just can't catch a break!
  • Wow. Hope the weather returns to some calm days soon.