The Belmont

Any predictions about the outcome of the belmont with or without CC

Comments

• well if California Chrome wins the Preakness which i believe he will then my bets are on California Chrome to win the Belmont and become the 12th triple crown winner
  • theres no way he could get the mile and a half
  • its only 2 furlongs longer than the Derby and he handled the Derby fine so who knows what the horse can do. and if you look at his bloodlines his mother Love The Chase has bloodlines that lead back to Princequillo and if i am not mistaken in that bloodline there is the gene for large hearts which is what Secretariat had and he was a grandson of Princequillo, the gene is passed from the mares and for all we know is that Love The Chase could have that gene and she could of passed it down to Cali Chrome
  • Right on ZenyattaRules 1121. Princequillo indeed passed down the large heart to his daughter Somethingroyal who then gave it to Secretariat. Sham also hailed from the same line through his dam. They don't have to be good racers to possess the gene though. Who knows? In time, they may find Lucky Pulpit was a carrier too. Time will tell as stallions can only pass it to their daughters. Besides, CC wasn't supposed "to do" what he has already done.
  • Coincidently, Dash For Cash (QH) also hails from the same female family as the great Secretariat. Just a thought.
  • RachelRachel Member
    that is due to the fact he was test bred to an appaloosa mare. and appaloosas and quarter horses do interbreed. good ol secretariat reaches far and wide
  • Right on ZenyattaRules 1121. Princequillo indeed passed down the large heart to his daughter Somethingroyal who then gave it to Secretariat. Sham also hailed from the same line through his dam. They don't have to be good racers to possess the gene though. Who knows? In time, they may find Lucky Pulpit was a carrier too. Time will tell as stallions can only pass it to their daughters. Besides, CC wasn't supposed "to do" what he has already done.
    exactly! sure Love The Chase wasnt a good racer at all but she could carry the gene for the large heart which she could of passed it on to Cali Chrome and if she did well then we could be looking at the next triple crown winner. I just hate when people say that he wont win the triple crown cause he isnt going to win the preakness when the preakness hasnt even been ran yet
  • Dash For Cash descended from a sister of Somethingroyal, Scattered by Whirlaway. Great reading article on large heart gene comparing Man O War, Secretariat, Dash for Cash:http://www.circledhorses.com/The X-Factor.htm
  • KetaKeta Member
    Doug O'Neill ‏@DougONeill1 · May 15
    Mike Smith will ride Goldencents in the upcoming Met Mile on Belmont Day. Goldencents will leave for New York at the end of the month.

• so who knows maybe Chrome has the large heart that was passed down from his bloodlines
  • New York get ready! The Kentucky Derby and Preakness winner is coming. Chrome is a comin'
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    Do we fight the "nasal strip" war again?
  • Did he have a nasal strip in Kentucky? I guess I wasn't looking
  • RachelRachel Member
    Marcus Hersh @DRFHersh
    Seems like the top three from Preakness -- CC, ROC & Social Inclusion -- will meet again in the Belmont.
  • RachelRachel Member
    Cali has always had a nasal strip
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    Did he have a nasal strip in Kentucky? I guess I wasn't looking
    Yes....he had them in both races...but cant wear them in NY
  • As Bob Baffert said " this horse is a freak of nature".
    He will win it without his nasal strips , won't matter at all
  • wyominggrandma, I agree. If he's Triple Crown material, and I think he is, it won't matter.
  • KayJayKayJay Member
    Social Inclusion was coming unglued at the gate. I don't think he has what it takes or the distance requirements to go in the Belmont. Of course, I think his owner could give Ria's owner a run for his money in the blow hard cadagory. Time to get real about the horse you actually have instead of the horse you want.
  • well that is true KayJay well said. The thing is i have seen Social Inclusion run in person down in Florida and he was impressive but then again he didnt act up like he did at the Preakness and he looked great during the race but i agree with you i dont think he will be able to go the distance in the Belmont that is if he goes to Belmont
  • RachelRachel Member
    chrome has ALWAYS had nasal strips. had them in his races at California as well
  • Social Inclusion was coming unglued at the gate. I don't think he has what it takes or the distance requirements to go in the Belmont. Of course, I think his owner could give Ria's owner a run for his money in the blow hard cadagory. Time to get real about the horse you actually have instead of the horse you want.
    Absolutely agree. Even if SI did manage to overcome his pre-race energy expenditure (same issue he had before the Wood) I think a mile or a mile and a sixteenth is his optimal distance. He tired in the Wood, he tired in the Preakness...there is no way he's gonna all of a sudden find the extra stamina to pull off a mile and a half
  • KayJayKayJay Member
    After re-watching the race a few times I think Social Inclusion's jockey deliberately steered the horse to CC's side and tried to get in his way as much as possible to the point of trying to knock into him. Why take SI out of his race, only to try to ruin CC's race? It cost SI his best chance at winning. For the life of me I'll never understand some people.
  • slewpyslewpy Member
    One thing to keep in mind for the Belmont. CC is not the only horse that has to go a mile and a half. The other CC, Tonalist, and whoever has to not only go that distance but also has to beat CC doing it. They're all in the same boat.
  • caseycasey any racetrack with camera in handMember
    Being "fresh" doesn't necessarily mean that the horses have more chance to win either as evidenced by the 1-2 finishers today, who both raced 2 weeks ago. Junior came back looking even more relaxed and calm, than the Derby. And, if you notice the video of him going into the winners circle, no kidney sweat, no sweaty flanks, neck, no blowing..... I think he's got the stamina to go 1.5 miles, and the will and desire. This horse KNOWS he's loved and he returns that love by giving his all.

Found this article.... it succinctly puts into words, what I've observed about him since the San Felipe

http://blinkersonracing.wordpress.com/category/physiology-of-a-thoroughbred/