What is up with Stonestreet mares?

So there are a few horses Stonestreet owns that have been favorites of mine over the years. I still get notices of workouts, but never race notifications. In particular My Miss Aurelia. She still works out, but hasnt raced since early 2013.

Comments

• RachelRachel Member
    Dreaming of Julia was supposed to come back but she got a fever or something. My Miss Aurelia is a mystery. I dont think shes the same horse, Kauai Katie is still racing, i think she has a race coming up
  • sarinnesarinne Member
    Dreaming of Julia was supposed to come back but she got a fever or something. My Miss Aurelia is a mystery. I dont think shes the same horse, Kauai Katie is still racing, i think she has a race coming up
    It might be another mare, but I think I watched a race at Belmont this weekend with Kauai Katie and she looked completely off form. Finished last or second to last.

• EriNCEriNC Member
    yeah Katie raced this weekend and never fired she made a weak attempt but never made it out of fourth. I'm pretty sure she is done, or needs to be done.
  • sarinnesarinne Member
    yeah Katie raced this weekend and never fired she made a weak attempt but never made it out of fourth. I'm pretty sure she is done, or needs to be done.
    Just saw your post, EriNC, in her thread after I posted. Didn't mean to be repetitive, but I'm glad I wasn't completely senile about that memory. lol

• RachelRachel Member
    I didnt know she raced this weekend lol. Pletchers star fillies are burnt out
  • RachelRachel Member
    The hell?

David Grening @DRFGrening
    Pletcher said Kauai Katie, last at odds-on in Vagrancy, had case of the thumps. Also, Revolutionary being pointed to G1 Stephen Foster
  • What are "the thumps?"
  • RachelRachel Member
    Ugh, good one Pletcher. Race her anyways

Thumps – known technically amongst the veterinary fraternity as “synchronous diaphramatic flutter” - is the veterinary term given to a horse that is having irregular spasms of the diaphragm. In layman’s terms, as the horse’s heart beats it simultaneously appears as though the heart has moved and is beating at the flanks of the horse - and they thus look to beat in unison. The animal may also shake all over, as heavy, laboured breathing takes over the horse’s respiratory system. The phrenic nerve, which passes over the heart on its way to the diaphragm, becomes fired up through being sensitised and that is the reason that the diaphragm goes into spasm.

Whilst some horses have thumps once and the problem never resurfaces, it is more common that they will reappear in horses that have them once.
  • EriNCEriNC Member
    so just looked up thumps. here is what the article says:
    So what are thumps?

It is fair to say that most vets will go through their entire working lives and never see a case of this problem that can afflict horses, as the occurrence of thumps is basically restricted primarily to only two types of equine athlete - thoroughbreds and trail horses. So unless a vet works in one of those two fields, they will not be likely to encounter the problem.

Occasionally in the thoroughbred world, thumps are seen at the conclusion of a race, or following a hard barrier trial. Thumps are more commonly seen in unfit horses doing endurance work, such as heavy trail rides etc. Unfit horses that are taken straight out of a paddock environment and then worked hard - without adequate accessibility to water and electrolytes - are also more likely to have an attack of thumps. General veterinary consensus of opinion seems to point to thumps being brought on by a lack of hydration in the equine athlete. However low levels of blood calcium, as well as other problems such as colic, diarrhoea, or a hormone imbalance, are all proven conditions that can lead to an attack of thumps.

Thumps – known technically amongst the veterinary fraternity as “synchronous diaphramatic flutter” - is the veterinary term given to a horse that is having irregular spasms of the diaphragm. In layman’s terms, as the horse’s heart beats it simultaneously appears as though the heart has moved and is beating at the flanks of the horse - and they thus look to beat in unison.

this suggests she was unfit and then given lasix.
  • RachelRachel Member
    Haha u had the same results as me
  • Ugh! Sounds not good at all!
  • RachelRachel Member
    Pletcher is awful, if this doesnt open your eyes to him then u are blind
  • EriNCEriNC Member
    in my opinion this says it all:
    Belmont Park 5/11/2014 Dirt training 4F 49.17 Breezing 4/15
    Belmont Park 4/13/2014 Dirt training 4F 49.06 Breezing 15/65
    Belmont Park 4/6/2014 Dirt training 5F 1:01.27 Breezing 6/32
    Belmont Park 3/29/2014 Dirt training 5F 1:02.86 Breezing 6/25
    Belmont Park 3/23/2014 Dirt training 4F 49.66 Breezing 33/77
    how is a horse supposed to run well if they arent being trained? only two recorded works in a months time?
  • RachelRachel Member
    Pletcher.
  • EriNCEriNC Member
    by the way new pics of Z and Z princess are up on the blog
  • EriNCEriNC Member
    after reading more about thumps i'm really worried for her. It could just be dehydration, but it could also be that her electrolytes are messed up which is dangerous. I don't know if they would take it seriously or not.
  • It's all up to the owner, not T.Pletch.
  • RachelRachel Member
    But Barbara Banke is an exeptional owner. Its hard to think her like that :( bah, who knows. Pletcher did say she had Thumps
  • I agree with you Rachel. I would think Barbara would not run Katie or any of her girls if there was a health issue going on. And a bigger question is, if the health issue is genetic in nature then it could pull them out of the breeding future. Lots of questions to answer.
  • EriNCEriNC Member
    thumps arent genetic in nature. General veterinary consensus of opinion seems to point to thumps being brought on by a lack of hydration in the equine athlete. However low levels of blood calcium, as well as other problems such as colic, diarrhoea, or a hormone imbalance, are all proven conditions that can lead to an attack of thumps.

Now then Lasix, which Katie races on, is a diuretic. As with many diuretics, it can cause dehydration and electrolyte imbalance, including loss of potassium, calcium, sodium, and magnesium.

Also trainers dont always inform the owners of the horse's condition. they just ask if they want to run the horse. in Katie's case it was probably brought on by lack of training (Triple Crown season Pletcher needs his assistants with him) and may be dehydration due to the Lasix.
  • I read something of interest on the Paulick Report. The article as on the nasal strip. Someone says that Pletcher uses a Dropnose Band. I asked what that was and this is the response I received.-
    Its a caveson that keeps jaw and mouth from opening to a large degree, restricted. But where it is placed on the face is key
    I have no idea why a trainer would use it n a race. I can't see where it would help. Does anyone else know what good it would be? I should think it would be counterproductive.
  • caseycasey any racetrack with camera in handMember
    dropped nosebands aren't common on the track, but in many english disciplines. They supposedly help keep the tongue from getting over the bit. They are supposed to fit right at the base of the nasal bone, then go down just behind the chin where they fasten. If applied correctly, it won't interfere with breathing, if applied too low, it can close off the airway to an extent.
  • RachelRachel Member
    Isnt it the bridles that have that x shape over the nose? Like the kind Frankel wore?
  • Sia4215Sia4215 Member
    Sarinne, Can you post a larger copy of your profile picture? What kind of dog is that?
    Everyone else, This conversation is horrifying. Pletcher, Asmussen, top owners, top jockeys. These beautiful horses deserve better.
  • sarinnesarinne Member
    Sarinne, Can you post a larger copy of your profile picture? What kind of dog is that?
    Everyone else, This conversation is horrifying. Pletcher, Asmussen, top owners, top jockeys. These beautiful horses deserve better.
    Sorry, Sia, I didn't see this post. Had just been thinking I should change my profile photo because it had been the same for so long. I've bred and shown Irish setters in conformation since 1996. The photo I had was of my homebred boy who is an AKC group winner (I guess that would translate to a Grade One winner in horses) and an AKC Bronze Grand Champion. The photo I have up now are his nieces and nephews that will be eight weeks old on Wednesday. I think if you click on the photo it will enlarge. If not, let me know.

I agree about the treatment some horses receive. That's why I enjoy reading the "feel good stories" and seeing Zenyatta and her babies. It's hard to dwell on the tragedies even though they are there. It can be overwhelming.