Horse Players (A Betting Game)

crdolce_777crdolce_777 Member
edited May 2014 in Community & Creativity
Rachel and I are co-sponsoring a new contest that is open to everyone who wants to have some fun "playing the horses!" This will be a great way to enjoy the thrill of picking a winner, without having to open your wallet. The contest is for bragging rights only, no actual money involved, and we certainly don't encourage anyone to go out and gamble.

Every weekend there will be up to 6 races that we will be "betting" on. They may be Thoroughbred, Quarter Horse, or Standardbred races, or a mix of all 3. Here is how the contest works:

1). Each contestant will select one horse per race that they are "betting" on
2). The bet will be one "Across the Board" wager on the horse you chose. This means that you're wagering $2 on the horse to win, $2 for it to place (come in 2nd), and $2 for it to show (come in 3rd)
3). If your horse wins, you receive the payoff from all 3 wagers. If your horse is second, you get the place and show payoffs. If your horse is third, you get only the show payoff. There is no payoff for a horse finishing outside of the top 3.
For example, this was the payoff from the Preakness:

Horse______________Win____Place___Show
California Chrome____$3.00___$3.00___$2.40
Ride On Curlin______________$5.60___$3.80
Social Inclusion_____________________$3.40

If you picked Calfornia Chrome, you would win $8.40 ($3.00+$3.00+$2.40)
If you picked Ride On Curlin, you would win $9.40 ($5.60+$3.80)
If you picked Social Inclusion, you would win $3.40

There will be one winner each week: the person who has the highest total payoff at the end of all the races. In addition to bragging rights, the winner will also get to choose the races for the following weekend!

We will also keep track of the number of times each person is the weekly winner, so that we can find out who is the Master Horse Player!

Neither of us are horse playing experts, just people who enjoy trying to pick winners, but we're absolutely willing to help anyone who has questions or wants advice on making picks :)

Comments

• Anyone who'd like to enter the contest, just let us know! First races will be this weekend if we get enough participants
  • RachelRachel Member
    We had so much fun in the last contest and were sad to see it end, so we made a new one :)
  • sarinnesarinne Member
    Thank you for starting this back up ladies. I'm terrible at it, but I love playing. Count me in. :-)
  • I am so glad you all are continuing the contest! I had so much fun just following along with it. Great idea!
  • RachelRachel Member
    this time there is no deadline, the contest never ends. unless we get tired of it lol. that way everyone gets a chance at winning :D
  • RachelRachel Member
    an easier way to explain it is:

whoever has the most points won at the end of the weekend's races, is the winner. we start all over again the following weekend and so on. that way we could possibly have a different winner each time.
  • RachelRachel Member
    @Bigherbie and @CaliforniaChrome1121

do you all want to play again?
  • @Rachel heck yes count me in!!
  • @JanD, @carolinarkansas, @KayJay, @adrianjh, how about you guys, do you wanna play again?
  • okay so instead of betting $2 could you bet more?
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    i will love to do this....
  • okay so instead of betting $2 could you bet more?
    Nope, we're gonna stick with a simple betting system, just like the old contest. That way we don't have to calculate payoffs, it's just the basic payoff like you see on the board at the end of every race. It's a lot to keep track of with race entries, people's horse choices, payoffs, standings, etc without having to make calculations for different bet amounts :)
  • okay just making sure.
  • No prob!
  • okay i have a quick question i love making contest and well looking back at some of the contest that the account that me and my friends had before kylea fixed all of it caused some issues. I wanted to make a contest for the Belmont Stakes would anyone be intersted in doing that? I will probably do it when i know for sure what horses are going to the Belmont cause at this moment i only know that California Chrome & Ride On Curlin are for sure going to be in the Belmont Stakes
  • I would suggest just doing what we did, start a new topic and throw it out there
  • okay would you be interested in doing the contest @crdolce_77
  • The only reason I probably wouldn't is because I have absolutely no doubt which horse will be picked as the winner :) With a TC on the line, everyone is gonna be behind Cali Chrome, even if they didn't love him to begin with! Don't let that stop you if you want to start the contest though, that's just my personal opinion
  • JanDJanD Member
    Yes count me in. I was so hoping someone would continue the contest. Thanks crdolce_777.
  • I know that but who knows everyone has their opinion and some always want to go against the favorite but I posted it and it will depend on how many people say that they would be interested
  • Rachel, count me in for the contest... thanks
  • So glad everyone is interested, we were so bummed when the other contest ended and hoped everyone would be on board for a new (ish) one! :)
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    If drf does not get fixed soon its going to put a crimp in my style....been getting "web page not available" for a couple of days now ...anyone else having this problem?
  • Yes, same problem for me all morning, grrrr!
  • RachelRachel Member
    Been having that problem since last night. Glad to know its not just me LOL