Not For Love – Broodmare Sire of California Chrome

2»

Comments

• KMMKMM Member
    Liked the names that this sire generated. Poetic. K
  • Classy Coco is running May 2nd in the Foxy J. G. Stakes. She will be ridden by Trevor McCarthy. She is trained by Graham Motion and owned by Larry Johnson.
  • QueenZFan22QueenZFan22 Member
    edited April 2015
    Devilish Love is running May 1st in the License Fee Stakes. She will be ridden by Jeremy Rose. She is trained by Tony Dutrow and owned by Joseph Imbesi.
  • Devilish Love is running June 4th in the Intercontinental Stakes. She will be ridden by John Velazquez. She is traained by Tony Dutrow and owned by Joseph Imbesi.
  • He has been retired from breeding from Country Life Farm.Any Mr. P sons still breeding stallions?
    The BloodHorse Stallion Register shows 18 Mr. P-sired stallions who had 2015 fees listed. I'm not including the pensioned Not For Love or the deceased Smart Strike. FuPeg is the only one in KY. He also has the highest (non-private) stud fee of the remaining Mr. P sons. The youngest stallions listed were foaled in 2000.
  • KMMKMM Member
    FuPeg is going to be his legacy sire line I think.
  • KMMKMM Member
    Thanks for doing research. K
  • FuPeg is going to be his legacy sire line I think.
    Of the few left standing, maybe. But he's had several notable sons at stud, including Gone West, Fappiano, Gulch, Smart Strike, Kingmambo, Machiavellian (paternal grandsire of Zenyatta), Carson City, Conquistador Cielo, and Jade Hunter, plus numerous others that stood or are standing internationally. Mr. P left quite a legacy.
  • KMMKMM Member
    He did. Was thinking about those still.breeding and are there good grandsons out there? Not a researched question on my part. Think Mr. P line may transfer some unsoundness if too closely bred.
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    edited June 2015
    Kingmambo is in Japan ....isnt he?....he and those Sunday mares do well...or am i thinking of someone else?.....ah well....a mind is a terrible thing to lose...lol
  • KMMKMM Member
    Actually would like to see studs coming up with less inbreeding to Mr. P. Think some of the imported SA sires, maybe candy ride?
  • Kingmambo is in Japan ....isnt he?....he and those Sunday mares do well...or am i thinking of someone else?.....ah well....a mind is a terrible thing to lose...lol
    Kingmambo is pensioned at Lane's End. A few other Mr. P sons stand or stood in Japan. Aldebaran may still be standing there. Forty-Niner stood there IIRC.
    He did. Was thinking about those still.breeding and are there good grandsons out there? Not a researched question on my part. Think Mr. P line may transfer some unsoundness if too closely bred.
    Mr. P was a sire-of-sires and has grandsons, great grandsons, and great-great-grandsons at stud, and probably further down the line--not to mention those descended through a female intermediary. As for Mr. P being a supposed source of unsoundness, I take such claims with a grain of salt. He has that reputation, but a reputation is often based on perception rather than fact. Yes, a lot of horses with Mr. P in their pedigrees suffer injuries, but there are a lot of horses with Mr. P in their pedigrees. One would have to do statistical analyses to determine whether they are injured at a rate greater than their representation in the population would predict. Also, one must bear in mind that just because two horses share the same ancestor, does not mean they got the same genes from that ancestor. And they all have dams.

So far as reputation goes, some of his descendants have the reputation of producing unsound offspring. Some, such as Quiet American, have the opposite reputation.

I haven't heard anything bad about Speightstown's (son of Gone West, son of Mr. P) get. Curlin, Mr. P's grandson via Smart Strike, is built like a tank.

You'll see less inbreeding to Mr. P as he moves further back in pedigrees with time.

As for Candy Ride, he is a tail-male descendant of Mr. Prospector (Mr. P-Fappiano-Cryptoclearance-Ride The Rails-Candy Ride). Candy Ride's pedigree isn't particularly exotic.
  • California Chrome's broodmare sire, Not For Love has died.

He was an absolutely beautiful stallion.

Not For Love, Maryland's leading sire for more than a dozen years, was euthanized the evening of May 29 due to complications from colic. Pensioned since March 2015 at his longtime home at Northview Stallion Station in Chesapeake City, Md., the son of Mr. Prospector was 26.

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/bloodstock/leading-maryland-sire-not-love-succumbs-colic/
  • KMMKMM Member
    Not for Love's top winnings son (over $1M), Eighttofasttocatch, when he retired, became an eventer.

http://marylandthoroughbred.com/cms/index.php/news-events/news/846-thoroughbred-makeover-enegetic-new-force-in-horse-industry
  • The Not For Loves have wings :)
  • KMMKMM Member
  • The Not For Loves have wings :)
    Wow! What a pretty way to describe them, and so true! Nice!
  • edited November 2017
    I'm liking Not For Love as a Broodmare Sire.

I especially like this mare because her dam, Parlez, is by another one of my favorite broodmare sires, French Deputy.

Parlez is connected to the Ramsey's, somewhat, as she is the dam of their Louisiana Derby winner, International Star, he being by Fusaichi Pegasus.

Reaching back here, but if I remember correctly, one of our posters, cleverly suggested, to the Ramsey's, the name Parlez Fu, which I think was a darn clever take on Parlez-vous.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/224674/1-million-bid-secures-fools-in-love
  • For Royalty, another Not For Love mare, who sold for $2.1 Million on Wednesday at the Keeneland November Breeding Stock Sale, is really beautiful.

• Every time I see her name, I think of her daughter Back Flip's YouTube video.
  • Keeneland November: Not For Love broodmares bring seven figures: http://www.drf.com/news/keeneland-november-not-love-broodmares-bring-seven-figures
  • Hello little one.
    On a journey, I'll be back to hear all the news of your beautiful colt by tapit.
    Be cool.
    Looking for the international race thread. Today's grand national was a beautiful scrum.