Golden Girls

Comments

• @Ashton, wonderful article on her.... She will always be special to me because she was the mother of my most FAVORITE horse as a child-- A.P. Indy! And was actually the first mother of any thoroughbred I'd ever known.
  • TOUSSAUD
    (Foaled 5/6/1989, died 1/5/2009 euthanized due to declining health)
    El Gran Senor x Image Of Reality)
    Famous Offsprings: Empire Maker, Chester House, Decarchy, and Honest Lady

Toussaud and her goat. Also trained by Robert Frankel, who admired her greatly,
    Toussaud is Bode's paternal grandam.
  • VA_in_CAVA_in_CA Member
    edited May 2014
    I don't know how to post, so can someone post a picture of Geisha (1943). She was the dam of Native Dancer my favorite as a teenager. Of 22 starts, he only lost one and came in second in the 1953 Kentucky Derby. He won the other two Triple Crown races. I was 14 that year. It has been hard learning about his weak bones problem that he passed on to his descendants.

Oh, love this thread. Thanks for starting it, RR12 and Rachel.
  • GEISHA
    (Foaled 1943, died 1959 1 day after foaling Face East)
    Discovery x Miyako (by John P Grier)
    Famous Offspring: Native Dancer

• Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
    edited May 2014
    THIS MARE DID NOT FOAL ANY FAMOUS OFFSPRINGS BUT HER STORY CREATED THE OUR MIMS RETIREMENT HAVEN FOR BROODMARES...

Our Mims and Jeanne share a moment together

OUR MIMS
    (Foaled 3/8/1974, died in 2003 at age 29 of colic)
    Herbager-FR x Sweet Tooth (by On-And-On)
    At three, Mims was named the 1977 Eclipse Champion and by age four, she'd won over $368,000 in her racing career.
    Better known Offsprings: Field Alydar, Speed Play and Mimbet. Mimbet foaled 1997 Breeder’s Cup Sprint winner Elmhurst

Please read this touching story of how Our Mims became the namesake of this haven for retired broodmares....
    http://offtrackthoroughbreds.com/2011/03/09/safe-haven-for-broodmares-is-our-mims-legacy/

Our Mims active days of racing

An unrecognizable photo of her when she was first rescued in 1999

In her twilight days...A life of contentment at Our Mims Retirement Haven
  • edited May 2014
    Forgot to put down rules.

Rules:

. Your mare must have at least one famous racehorse in her progeny listings.

. That progeny must have at least 600,000$ in track earnings (for horses after 1950). Poor racers turned good stud or broodmare do not apply.

. You must provide a photograph of your chosen mare.

Please respect the rules of this discussion.
  • Can anyone find a picture of Laughter? I can't find any =(
  • Yeah...the rules should have been put down at the very beginning. Ok...If you want me to remove My Mims...I will...Please advise.
  • edited May 2014
    You can keep Our Mims on here... It's just from here on out, mothers of famous racehorses only. And in all honesty I should have put the rules down at the beginning.... But by the time I remembered it was too late to edit.
  • RachelRachel Member
    Our* Mims lol
  • Stonestreet tweet: Happy Birthday to #stonestreetfarm broodmare Brisquette, dam of #KyDerby contender Medal Count!

edited May 2014
    MY FLAG
    (Foaled 3/25/1993, Died 4/12/2014 after foaling a healthy Bernardini colt at age 21)
    Easy Goer x Personal Ensign (by Private Account)
    Famous Offsprings: Storm Flag Flying 2002 Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies winner ($1,951,828)

• RachelRachel Member
    Miesque, pictured here at Lane's End in 1994. Dam of Kingmambo, Miesque's Son, and Kitalpha (unraced, but a great sire). Goldikova surpassed Miesque's two consecutive wins in the BC Mile (turf), and we were all lucky to see that historic event take place on live television. But, Miesque...what a great mare she was.
  • RachelRachel Member
    Wind In Her Hair

dam of Deep Impact (whose sire was Sunday Silence), winner of $12.8 Million dollars. He has since turned into a sire of sires himself
  • Wow. What a beauty My Flag was.

Thanks for posting the picture of Geisha for me PG. There is nothing fragile looking about her legs. They look very sturdy, in fact. Maybe Native Dancer got the flaw from his sire. Or the combination of genetics from the two parents.
    edited May 2014
    Wow. What a beauty My Flag was.
    Yes...I remember we posted her passing last month in Horse Racing Injuries & Fatalities and were concern as to how old a mare can be bred. It was a sad incident. But foaling can always present risks at any age for the mare.
  • Mining My Own
    Foaled February 9, 2001
    Smart Strike x Aspenelle (by Vice Regent)
    Famous Offspring: Mine That Bird and Dullahan

• Please also check the rest of the mares before you post your mare, to make sure that mare hasn't already been posted.
  • RachelRachel Member
    sorry Crdolce lol i cant believe we already have 6 pages to this thread. so many good mares
  • RONDEAU
    (Foaled 1900)
    Bay Ronald-GB x Doremi-GB (by Bend Or-GB)
    Famous Offspring: Teddy-FRA (8 starts, 6 wins, 0 Places, 1 Show)-Race winnings not provided. He was France's leading sire in 1923. Exported to US in 1932. He stood at Mentmore Farm in Virginia and died there in 1936 of a twisted intestine.

• crdolce_777crdolce_777 Member
    edited May 2014
    Mining My Own
    Foaled February 9, 2001
    Smart Strike x Aspenelle (by Vice Regent)
    Famous Offspring: Mine That Bird and Dullahan

Sorry guys, I did look through all the pages and genuinely missed it. Wasn't trying to duplicate anyone else's post. I'll just leave it to the experts from now on

edited May 2014
    That's okay crdolce_777. I screwed up on a few already...even after checking through the earlier pages too! :oD
  • Also, crdolce_777, your post is correct. The earlier post said Mining My Own was the dam of Mind That Bird, but his name--based on his dam's (and sire's) name--is Mine That Bird, as you said. Sadly Dullahan passed away--of colic, I believe.
  • Thanks, PG and VA :)
  • RachelRachel Member
    yea, Dullie died of Colic :( he went into surgery but died, i think he was euthanized on the table :'( its such a shame. and yes, Mine That Bird was a half brother to Dullahan in that they shared the same dam lol. cant correct it now since we only get 4 hours edit time now, boo :/