In Memoriam

In light of the recent death of Intense Holiday; I thought it a good idea to post a discussion as sort of a "tribute column" for those racehorses who died too soon. Pretty much all horses are welcome, the only requirement being your horse must have died prematurely and/or tragically.

In posting your horse; you must provide the horses' name in bold. with time of birth and death in parentheses next to it. You must then post below, the horses' pedigree, and below that you must post earnings. Then, if you wish.... You may also post how the horse died. Lastly, you must post a picture of your horse. I'll give an example below:

Name: RUFFIAN (April 17th, 1972 - June 7th, 1975)
Pedigree: Reviewer x Shenanigans (by Native Dancer)
Earnings: 313,429$
Cause of death: Compound fracture
Photo provided by TBgreats

If your horse is a broodmare, or a sire, then you will not have to post racing earnings.... But broodmare and sire earnings.

Please respect the rules of this discussion, and have fun!

Comments

• Memoriam. Hope it's not too late to fix the spelling since it's the name of the thread.
  • Bah. It is too late. That's so annoying how editing time has been shortened to 4 hours.
  • edited June 2014
    Good thread, but I don't know how to do bold. Lol! Some of you are too advanced for me. The photo of Ruffian reminds me of Coz.
  • edited June 2014
    Name: INTENSE HOLIDAY (2011 - June 12th, 2014)
    Pedigree: Harlan's Holiday x Intensify (by Unbridled's Song)
    Earnings: 551,900$
    Cause of death: Laminitis
    Photo provided by Coglianese Photography
  • Name: ALYDAR (March 23rd, 1975 - Nov. 15th, 1990)
    Pedigree: Raise a Native x Sweet Tooth (by On-And-On)
    Earnings: over 9 ml.
    Cause of death: Leg fracture
    Photo provided by www.9thrace.com
  • edited June 2014
    Good thread, but I don't know how to do bold. Lol! Some of you are too advanced for me. The photo of Ruffian reminds me of Coz.
    You can make bold font by using this:

<"b"> (insert name here) <"/b">

Remove the quote marks, and you have:
    RUFFIAN
  • edited June 2014
    Ruffian LOL Didn't work for me but thanks for trying.
  • Ruffian LOL Didn't work for me but thanks for trying.
    What formula did you use?
  • RachelRachel Member
    edited June 2014
  • RachelRachel Member
    Omg nvm
  • edited June 2014
    Ruffian
    Yippeeee! My daughter just taught me how. Thanks guys so much. I can do bold.
  • Ruffian
    Yippeeee! My daughter just taught me how. Thanks guys so much. I can do bold.
    LOL
  • RachelRachel Member
    bold is better when its in itallics =P
  • bold is better when its in itallics =P
    Ha ha Rachel! I can only learn one thing at a time. Lol

• LyndaKLyndaK Member
    What a beautiful idea. I look forward to everyone's posts. Another reason why this site is so much fun!
  • RachelRachel Member
    lol i know, i kid
  • RachelRachel Member
    im doing Unbridleds Song, so dont do him yet! lol just give me a bit
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    I believe Alydar was murdered...for insurance money....but this is unproven
  • RachelRachel Member
    Name: Unbridled's Song (February 18, 1993 – July 26, 2013)
    Pedigree: Unbridled x Trolly Song (Caro)
    Earnings: $1,311,800
    Cause of death: Euthanized at age 20 due to finding a large and inoperable mass discovered in his sinus cavities and around the optic nerves. He started showing acute neurological signs which then led to his euthanasia.
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    If I knew how I would add Sec and Sunday.....laminitis for both
  • New addition! You may, if you wish, post a fun fact about your horse, for example:

Name: SECRETARIAT (March 30th, 1970 - October 4th, 1989)
    Pedigree: Bold Ruler x Somethingroyal (by Princequillo)
    Earnings: $1,316,808
    Cause of death: Euthanasia due to Laminitis
    Fun fact: Secretariat loved to play "fetch" by having a stick thrown for him, and chasing after it.
    Image provided by championsgallery.com
  • RachelRachel Member
    edited June 2014
    i always thought it was just a game of "grab my stick" shown here:

http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/horse-racing-steve-haskin/Sec-12_stickSH02082013_8.jpg

by the way, thats from Steve Haskin visiting him at Claiborne. Sec wanted to play in that photo
  • Nah. He actually played fetch! Lol!
  • RachelRachel Member
    ill add Sunday Silence
  • RachelRachel Member
    edited June 2014
    Name: Sunday Silence (March 25, 1986 - August 19, 2002)
    Pedigree: Halo x Wishing Well (Understanding)
    Earnings: $4,968,554
    Cause of Death: Sunday Silence had been suffering from Laminitis for 14 weeks and had developed an infection in one leg as well. He was given a stronger dose of a different pain killing medication and as a result was able to lay down for the first time in a week. However, the next morning he appeared unable to rise. As the vets were discussing what to do about the situation he passed away from apparent heart failure. It was said that his leg infection had reached his heart, thus causing his death.
    Fun Fact: The Japanese treated Sunday like royalty. They didnt euthanize him because they wanted him to choose his own path. Sunday Silence had his own personality, he did things his way when he wanted and they allowed him that luxury. The stallion manager that took care of him absolutely loved that horse, he was very devastated to see him go. It was like losing a part of his family. Since then, Sunday still lives on in his daughters and sons. He was a VERY influential stallion in Japan.